Career and Education Opportunities for Dentists in Pembroke Pines, Florida
Dentists can find many career and educational opportunities in the Pembroke Pines, Florida area. There are currently 7,790 jobs for dentists in Florida and this is projected to grow 11% to 8,660 jobs by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for dentists are expected to grow by about 15.3%. Dentists generally diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth and gums and related oral structures.
Income for dentists is about $71 per hour or $148,140 per year on average in Florida. Nationally, their income is about $68 hourly or $142,870 yearly. Compared with people working in the overall category of Dental, people working as dentists in Florida earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Dental nationally. Jobs in this field include: dental officer, doctor, and dental surgery doctor .
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Pembroke Pines where you can study to be a dentist, among ninety-seven schools of higher education total in the Pembroke Pines area. The most common level of education for dentists is a Doctoral degree. You can expect to spend four or five years studying to be a dentist if you already have a Bachelor's degree, or eight to ten years starting with a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Dentist
In general, dentists diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth and gums and related oral structures. They also may treat diseases of nerve, pulp, and other dental tissues affecting vitality of teeth.
Dentists diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth, gums and related oral structures, and furnish preventive and corrective services. They also use masks, gloves and safety glasses to safeguard themselves and their patients from infectious diseases. Equally important, dentists have to examine teeth and related tissues, using dental instruments, x-rays, and other diagnostic apparatus, to review dental health, diagnose diseases or abnormalities, and plan appropriate treatments. They are often called upon to formulate plan of treatment for patient's teeth and mouth tissue. They are expected to use air turbine and hand instruments, dental appliances and surgical implements. Finally, dentists oversee business, employing and supervising staff and handling paperwork and insurance claims.
Every day, dentists are expected to be able to maintain precise control of objects and devices through a range of movements. They need to piece together evidence to, in some sense, diagnose what is going on in a situation. It is also important that they evaluate problems as they arise.
It is important for dentists to fill pulp chamber and canal with endodontic materials. They are often called upon to perform oral and periodontal surgery on the jaw or mouth. They also produce and evaluate dental health educational materials. They are sometimes expected to administer anesthetics to limit the amount of pain experienced by patients during procedures. Somewhat less frequently, dentists are also expected to advise and instruct patients regarding preventive dental care, the causes and treatment of dental problems, and oral health care services.
Dentists sometimes are asked to advise and instruct patients regarding preventive dental care, the causes and treatment of dental problems, and oral health care services. They also have to be able to oversee business, employing and supervising staff and handling paperwork and insurance claims and treat exposure of pulp by pulp capping, removal of pulp from pulp chamber, or root canal, using dental instruments. And finally, they sometimes have to analyze and evaluate dental needs to establish changes and trends in patterns of dental disease.
Like many other jobs, dentists must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Pembroke Pines include:
- Dental Hygienist. Clean teeth and examine oral areas, head, and neck for signs of oral disease. May educate patients on oral hygiene, take and develop X-rays, or apply fluoride or sealants.
- Emergency Medical Technician. Assess injuries, administer emergency medical care, and extricate trapped individuals. Transport injured or sick persons to medical facilities.
- Medical Laboratory Technician. Perform routine medical laboratory tests for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. May work under the supervision of a medical technologist.
- Optometrist. Diagnose, manage, and treat conditions and diseases of the human eye and visual system. Examine eyes and visual system, diagnose problems or impairments, prescribe corrective lenses, and provide treatment. May prescribe therapeutic drugs to treat specific eye conditions.
- Orthodontist. Examine, diagnose, and treat dental malocclusions and oral cavity anomalies. Design and fabricate appliances to realign teeth and jaws to produce and maintain normal function and to improve appearance.
- Physician Assistant. Provide healthcare services typically performed by a physician, under the supervision of a physician. Conduct complete physicals, provide treatment, and counsel patients. May, in some cases, prescribe medication. Must graduate from an accredited educational program for physician assistants.
- Podiatrist. Diagnose and treat diseases and deformities of the human foot.
- Respiratory Therapist. Assess, treat, and care for patients with breathing disorders. Assume primary responsibility for all respiratory care modalities, including the supervision of respiratory therapy technicians. Initiate and conduct therapeutic procedures; maintain patient records; and select, assemble, and operate equipment.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Dentist Training
Nova Southeastern University - Fort Lauderdale, FL
Nova Southeastern University, 3301 College Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314-7796. Nova Southeastern University is a large university located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 27,518 students and an admission rate of 45%. Nova Southeastern University has 4 areas of study related to Dentist. They are:
- Dentistry, professional degree which graduated 92 students in 2008.
- Dental Clinical Sciences, master's degree which graduated 3 students in 2008.
- Advanced General Dentistry, professional certificate which graduated 13 students in 2008.
- Pediatric Dentistry/Pedodontics, professional certificate which graduated 6 students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Pembroke Pines is situated in Broward County, Florida. It has a population of over 145,661, which has grown by 6.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Pembroke Pines, 116, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Pembroke Pines are valued at $117,100 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, five new homes were built in Pembroke Pines, up from three the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Pembroke Pines are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is public administration, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 32 minutes. More than 28.7% of Pembroke Pines residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.0%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Pembroke Pines is 8.6%, which is less than Florida's average of 11.3%.
The percentage of Pembroke Pines residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 45.9%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Pembroke Road Baptist Church, Boulevard Chapel and Taft Street Chapel are all churches located in Pembroke Pines. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Pembroke Pines is home to the Hollywood Lakes Country Club and the Pines Bank Plaza as well as Kennedy Park and Snake Creek Park. Shopping malls in the area include Pembroke Pines Shopping Center, Pembroke Village Shopping Center and University Mall.