Career and Education Opportunities for Craftsmen in Pembroke Pines, Florida
Craftsman career and educational opportunities abound in Pembroke Pines, Florida. The national trend for craftsmen sees this job pool growing by about 7.2% over the next eight years. Craftsmen generally create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
Craftsmen earn approximately $11 hourly or $23,850 per year on average in Florida. Nationally they average about $13 hourly or $29,080 yearly. Craftsmen earn less than people working in the category of Art and Design generally in Florida and less than people in the Art and Design category nationally. People working as craftsmen can fill a number of jobs, such as: ceramics sculptor, inker and opaquer, and bronze sculptor.
There are ninety-seven schools of higher education in the Pembroke Pines area, including four within twenty-five miles of Pembroke Pines where you can get a degree to start your career as a craftsman. Given that the most common education level for craftsmen is a high school diploma or GED, you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a craftsman if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Craftsman
In general, craftsmen create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
Craftsmen develop functional or decorative objects by hand, using a variety of methods and materials. They also design product packaging, display and pricing strategies. Equally important, craftsmen have to attend craft shows to market products. They are often called upon to advertise products and work, using media such as internet advertising and brochures. They are expected to design creative concepts for craft objects. Finally, craftsmen fabricate patterns or templates to guide craft production.
Every day, craftsmen are expected to be able to control and manipulate objects at a fine level of detail. They need to control objects and devices with precise control. It is also important that they move quickly in order to hold onto or control objects and devices.
It is important for craftsmen to apply finishes to objects being crafted. They are often called upon to design designs using specialized computer software. Somewhat less frequently, craftsmen are also expected to research craft trends and customer buying patterns so as to inspire designs and marketing strategies.
Craftsmen sometimes are asked to develop prototypes or models of objects to be crafted. And finally, they sometimes have to talk with customers to gauge customer needs or obtain feedback.
Like many other jobs, craftsmen must be thorough and dependable and believe in innovation and creative thought.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Pembroke Pines include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Craftsman Training
American Intercontinental University - Weston, FL
American Intercontinental University, 2250 North Commerce Pkwy, Weston, FL 33326. American Intercontinental University is a small university located in Weston, Florida. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,179 students and an admission rate of 25%. American Intercontinental University has a bachelor's degree program in Art/Art Studies which graduated thirty-two students in 2008.
AI Miami International University of Art and Design - Miami, FL
AI Miami International University of Art and Design, 1501 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami, FL 33132-1418. AI Miami International University of Art and Design is a small university located in Miami, Florida. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,120 students and an admission rate of 41%. AI Miami International University of Art and Design has 3 areas of study related to Craftsman. They are:
- Art/Art Studies, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated eleven and three students respectively in 2008.
- Painting, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Metal and Jewelry Arts, associate's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
Florida Atlantic University - Boca Raton, FL
Florida Atlantic University, 777 Glades Rd, Boca Raton, FL 33431-0991. Florida Atlantic University is a large university located in Boca Raton, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 26,857 students and an admission rate of 49%. Florida Atlantic University has a bachelor's degree program in Art/Art Studies which graduated nine students in 2008.
Barry University - Miami, FL
Barry University, 11300 NE 2nd Ave, Miami, FL 33161-6695. Barry University is a medium sized university located in Miami, Florida. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 8,364 students and an admission rate of 60%. Barry University has a bachelor's degree program in Art/Art Studies which graduated ten students in 2008.
Certified Decorative Artist: The Certified Decorative Artist applicant must pay the required fees and submit one piece of work for judging.
For more information, see the Society of Decorative Painters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Pembroke Pines is situated in Broward County, Florida. It has a population of over 145,661, which has grown by 6.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Pembroke Pines, 116, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Pembroke Pines are valued at $117,100 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, five new homes were built in Pembroke Pines, up from three the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Pembroke Pines are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is public administration, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 32 minutes. More than 28.7% of Pembroke Pines residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.0%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Pembroke Pines is 8.6%, which is less than Florida's average of 11.3%.
The percentage of Pembroke Pines residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 45.9%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Pembroke Road Baptist Church, Boulevard Chapel and Taft Street Chapel are all churches located in Pembroke Pines. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Pembroke Pines is home to the Hollywood Lakes Country Club and the Pines Bank Plaza as well as Kennedy Park and Snake Creek Park. Shopping malls in the area include Pembroke Pines Shopping Center, Pembroke Village Shopping Center and University Mall.