Career and Education Opportunities for Statement Clerks in Palm Bay, Florida
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for statement clerks in the Palm Bay, Florida area. The national trend for statement clerks sees this job pool growing by about 15.3% over the next eight years. In general, statement clerks prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
Statement clerks earn about $14 per hour or $29,500 yearly on average in Florida and about $14 per hour or $30,950 yearly on average nationally. Incomes for statement clerks are better than in the overall category of Billing and Bookkeeping in Florida, and better than the overall Billing and Bookkeeping category nationally.
There are five schools of higher education in the Palm Bay area, including one within twenty-five miles of Palm Bay where you can get a degree to start your career as a statement clerk. Given that the most common education level for statement clerks is some college courses, it will take a short time to learn to be a statement clerk if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Statement Clerk
In general, statement clerks prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
Every day, statement clerks are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for statement clerks to match statements with batches of canceled checks by account numbers. They are often called upon to compare previously prepared bank statements with canceled checks, and reconcile discrepancies. They also fix minor problems, such as equipment jams, and notify repair personnel of major equipment problems. They are sometimes expected to route statements for mailing or over-the-counter delivery to customers. Somewhat less frequently, statement clerks are also expected to retrieve checks returned to customers in error, adjusting customer accounts and answering inquiries about errors as needed.
They also have to be able to weigh envelopes containing statements in order to establish correct postage and affix postage using stamps or metering equipment and verify signatures and required data on checks. And finally, they sometimes have to maintain files of canceled checks and customers' signatures.
Like many other jobs, statement clerks must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Palm Bay include:
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Gaming Cashier. Conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. May reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Accept patron's credit application and verify credit references to provide check-cashing authorization or to establish house credit accounts. May sell gambling chips, tokens, or tickets to patrons, or to other workers for resale to patrons. May convert gaming chips, tokens, or tickets to currency upon patron's request. May use a cash register or computer to record transaction.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Statement Clerk Training
Brevard Community College - Cocoa, FL
Brevard Community College, 1519 Clearlake Rd, Cocoa, FL 32922. Brevard Community College is a large college located in Cocoa, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 15,607 students. Brevard Community College has less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree programs in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated eight, five, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Certified Medical Coder: Experienced medical office professionals with exceptional coding skills are eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Coder (CMC) exam.
For more information, see the Practice Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Palm Bay, Florida
Palm Bay is located in Brevard County, Florida. It has a population of over 100,786, which has grown by 26.9% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Palm Bay, 83, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Palm Bay are priced at $195,600 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, three hundred ninety-two new homes were built in Palm Bay, down from seven hundred thirty-nine the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Palm Bay are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, computer and electronic products, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 26 minutes. More than 16.7% of Palm Bay residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.9%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Palm Bay is 11.9%, which is greater than Florida's average of 11.3%.
The percentage of Palm Bay residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 39.2%, is less than both the national and state average. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Palm Bay is home to the Country Club Plaza and the Port Malabar Plaza. Shopping malls in the area include Palm Bay Shopping Center and Port Malabar Shopping Center. Visitors to Palm Bay can choose from Bay Breeze Restaurant and Bleachers Sports Bar & Grill for temporary stays in the area.