Career and Education Opportunities for Budget Analysts in Palm Bay, Florida
Budget analyst career and educational opportunities abound in Palm Bay, Florida. About 2,980 people are currently employed as budget analysts in Florida. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 17% to about 3,480 people employed. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for budget analysts are expected to grow by about 15.1%. Budget analysts generally examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations.
A person working as a budget analyst can expect to earn about $28 hourly or $58,380 per year on average in Florida and about $31 hourly or $65,320 per year on average in the U.S. as a whole. Earnings for budget analysts are better than earnings in the general category of Accounting and Auditing in Florida and better than general Accounting and Auditing category earnings nationally. People working as budget analysts can fill a number of jobs, such as: staff analyst, budget coordinator, and budget officer.
The Palm Bay area is home to five schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of Palm Bay where you can get a degree as a budget analyst. The most common level of education for budget analysts is a Bachelor's degree. You can expect to spend about four years studying to be a budget analyst if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Budget Analyst
In general, budget analysts examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. They also analyze budgeting and accounting reports for the purpose of maintaining expenditure controls.
Budget analysts furnish advice and technical assistance as well as cost analysis and budget preparation. They also examine budget estimates for completeness and conformance with procedures and regulations. Equally important, budget analysts have to inspect operating budgets to analyze trends affecting budget needs. They are often called upon to confer with managers to insure that budget adjustments are made in accordance with program changes. They are expected to direct the preparation of regular and special budget reports. Finally, budget analysts perform cost-benefit analyses to compare operating programs, review financial requests, or explore alternative financing methods.
Every day, budget analysts are expected to be able to deal with basic arithmetic problems. They need to read and understand documents and reports. It is also important that they decide how to think about problems involving math.
It is important for budget analysts to seek new ways to further optimize efficiency and increase profits. They are often called upon to interpret budget directives and establish policies for carrying out directives. They also match appropriations for specific programs with appropriations for broader programs, including items for emergency funds. They are sometimes expected to analyze monthly department budgeting and accounting reports to maintain expenditure controls. Somewhat less frequently, budget analysts are also expected to testify before examining and fund-granting authorities, clarifying and promoting the proposed budgets.
And finally, they sometimes have to perform cost-benefit analyses to compare operating programs, review financial requests, or explore alternative financing methods.
Like many other jobs, budget analysts must be thorough and dependable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Palm Bay include:
- Accountant. Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine or maintain records of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Auditor. Examine and analyze accounting records to determine financial status of establishment and prepare financial reports concerning operating procedures.
- Business Management Analyst. Conduct organizational studies and evaluations, design systems and procedures, conduct work simplifications and measurement studies, and prepare operations and procedures manuals to assist management in operating more efficiently and effectively. Includes program analysts and management consultants.
- Cost Analyst. Prepare cost estimates for product manufacturing, construction projects, or services to aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service. May specialize according to particular service performed or type of product manufactured.
- Credit Analyst. Analyze current credit data and financial statements of individuals or firms to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. Prepare reports with this credit information for use in decision-making.
- Financial Examiner. Enforce or ensure compliance with laws and regulations governing financial and securities institutions and financial and real estate transactions. May examine, verify correctness of, or establish authenticity of records.
- Income Tax Advisor. Prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses but do not have the background or responsibilities of an accredited or certified public accountant.
- Tax Examiner. Determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Budget Analyst Training
Florida Institute of Technology - Melbourne, FL
Florida Institute of Technology, 150 West University Boulevard, Melbourne, FL 32901-6975. Florida Institute of Technology is a medium sized school located in Melbourne, Florida. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 7,050 students and an admission rate of 82%. Florida Institute of Technology has a bachelor's degree program in Accounting which graduated one student in 2008.
Everest University-Melbourne - Melbourne, FL
Everest University-Melbourne, 2401 N Harbor City Blvd, Melbourne, FL 32935. Everest University-Melbourne is a small university located in Melbourne, Florida. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 375 students and an admission rate of 8%. Everest University-Melbourne has an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree program in Accounting which graduated fourteen and ten students respectively in 2008.
Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package: Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package course list: Better Requests for Proposals for Better Projects; Continuous Improvement Through Monitoring; Contracting; New Coding System for the 21st Century; Procurement; and Writing Winning Grant Proposals.
For more information, see the Dynamic Works Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Palm Bay, Florida
Palm Bay is located in Brevard County, Florida. It has a population of over 100,786, which has grown by 26.9% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Palm Bay, 83, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Palm Bay are priced at $195,600 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, three hundred ninety-two new homes were built in Palm Bay, down from seven hundred thirty-nine the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Palm Bay are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, computer and electronic products, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 26 minutes. More than 16.7% of Palm Bay residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.9%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Palm Bay is 11.9%, which is greater than Florida's average of 11.3%.
The percentage of Palm Bay residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 39.2%, is less than both the national and state average. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Palm Bay is home to the Country Club Plaza and the Port Malabar Plaza. Shopping malls in the area include Palm Bay Shopping Center and Port Malabar Shopping Center. Visitors to Palm Bay can choose from Bay Breeze Restaurant and Bleachers Sports Bar & Grill for temporary stays in the area.