Career and Education Opportunities for Welders in Miramar, Florida
Miramar, Florida provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for welders. There are currently 13,890 jobs for welders in Florida and this is projected to grow by 17% to 16,240 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for welders are expected to shrink by about 1.6%. In general, welders use hand-welding or flame-cutting equipment to weld or join metal components or to fill holes, indentations, or seams of fabricated metal products.
The income of a welder is about $15 per hour or $33,230 annually on average in Florida. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $16 per hour or $33,560 annually on average. Earnings for welders are better than earnings in the general category of Foundry and Metal Work in Florida and better than general Foundry and Metal Work category earnings nationally.
There are seventy schools of higher education in the Miramar area, including two within twenty-five miles of Miramar where you can get a degree to start your career as a welder. The most common level of education for welders is less than a high school diploma. You can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a welder if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Welder
In general, welders use hand-welding or flame-cutting equipment to weld or join metal components or to fill holes, indentations, or seams of fabricated metal products.
Welders bolt components to set required configurations and positions for welding. They also remove rough spots from workpieces, using portable grinders or scrapers. Equally important, welders have to chip or grind off excess weld or spatter, using hand scrapers or power chippers, portable grinders, or arc-cutting equipment. They are often called upon to weld components in flat or overhead positions. They are expected to operate safety equipment and use safe work habits. Finally, welders recognize and operate hand and power tools common to the welding trade, such as shielded metal arc and gas metal arc welding equipment.
Every day, welders are expected to be able to control objects and devices with precise control. They need to see details at a very fine level of focus. It is also important that they visualize how things come together and can be organized.
It is important for welders to ignite torches or start power supplies and strike arcs by touching electrodes to metals being welded, completing electrical circuits. They are often called upon to examine workpieces for defects and measure workpieces with straightedges or templates to insure conformance with specifications. They also ready all material surfaces to be welded, ensuring that there is no loose or thick scale, slag or other foreign matter. They are sometimes expected to monitor the fitting and welding processes to avoid overheating of components or warping or expansion of material. Somewhat less frequently, welders are also expected to operate manual or semi-automatic welding apparatus to fuse metal segments.
Welders sometimes are asked to operate metal shaping and bending machines, such as brakes and shears. And finally, they sometimes have to decide on and install torches, torch tips and flux, in line with welding chart specifications or types and thicknesses of metals.
Like many other jobs, welders must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Miramar include:
- Aircraft Parts Assembler. Assemble, fit, and install parts of airplanes, space vehicles, or missiles, such as tails, wings, fuselage, bulkheads, stabilizers, landing gear, rigging and control equipment, or heating and ventilating systems.
- Buffing Machine Operator. Set up, operate, or tend grinding and related tools that remove excess material or burrs from surfaces, sharpen edges or corners, or buff, hone, or polish metal or plastic work pieces.
- Heat Treating Equipment Operator. Set up, operate, or tend heating equipment, such as heat-treating furnaces, flame-hardening machines, induction machines, or vacuum equipment to temper, harden, or heat-treat metal or plastic objects.
- Layout Technician. Lay out reference points and dimensions on metal or plastic stock or workpieces, such as sheets, plates, or machine parts, for further processing. Includes shipfitters.
- Machinist. Set up and operate a variety of machine tools to produce precision parts and instruments. Includes precision instrument makers who fabricate, modify, or repair mechanical instruments. May also fabricate and modify parts to make or repair machine tools or maintain industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, and machining procedures.
- Mold Machine Operator. Set up, operate, or tend metal or plastic molding, casting, or coremaking machines to mold or cast metal or thermoplastic parts or products.
- Solderer. Braze or solder together components to assemble fabricated metal parts, using soldering iron, torch, or welding machine and flux.
- Welding Operator. Set up, operate, or tend welding, soldering, or brazing machines or robots that weld, braze, or heat treat metal products, components, or assemblies.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Welder Training
Atlantic Technical Center - Coconut Creek, FL
Atlantic Technical Center, 4700 Coconut Creek Pky, Coconut Creek, FL 33063-3902. Atlantic Technical Center is a small school located in Coconut Creek, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,091 students. Atlantic Technical Center has a less than one year program in Welding Technology/Welder which graduated four students in 2008.
McFatter Technical Center - Davie, FL
McFatter Technical Center, 6500 Nova Drive, Davie, FL 33317. McFatter Technical Center is a small school located in Davie, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,039 students. McFatter Technical Center has a one to two year program in Welding Technology/Welder which graduated four students in 2008.
Radiographic Interpreter: The program, based upon requirements contained within AWS B5.
For more information, see the American Welding Society website.
Certified Robotic Arc Welding: The Certification Program for Robotic Arc Welding - Operators and Technicians (CRAW) allows many welding personnel employed in various welding sectors to measure themselves against standards for their occupation.
For more information, see the American Welding Society website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Miramar, Florida
Miramar is located in Broward County, Florida. It has a population of over 108,484, which has grown by 49.1% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Miramar, 117, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Miramar are priced at $239,500 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred ten new homes were constructed in Miramar, down from one hundred thirty-eight the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Miramar are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, public administration, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average commute to work is about 32 minutes. More than 20.7% of Miramar residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Miramar is 9.7%, which is less than Florida's average of 11.3%.
The percentage of Miramar residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 45.9%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Pembroke Road Church, Saint Bartholomew Church and Saint Stephens Church are among the churches located in Miramar. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Miramar is home to the Parkway Plaza and the Miramar Country Club as well as Southwest Broward Junior Athletic Association and Calhoun Recreation Complex. Shopping centers in the area include Palmetto By Pass Shopping Center and Miramar Shopping Center.