Career and Education Opportunities for Payroll Machine Operators in Miramar, Florida
Payroll machine operators can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Miramar, Florida area. The national trend for payroll machine operators sees this job pool growing by about 15.3% over the next eight years. In general, payroll machine operators operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data.
Payroll machine operators earn approximately $14 hourly or $29,500 annually on average in Florida. Nationally they average about $14 per hour or $30,950 per year. Earnings for payroll machine operators are better than earnings in the general category of Billing and Bookkeeping in Florida and better than general Billing and Bookkeeping category earnings nationally.
The Miramar area is home to seventy schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of Miramar where you can get a degree as a payroll machine operator. The most common level of education for payroll machine operators is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a payroll machine operator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Payroll Machine Operator
In general, payroll machine operators operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. They also duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
Every day, payroll machine operators are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to prioritize information for further consideration. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for payroll machine operators to enter into machines all data needed for bill generation. They are often called upon to clean machines, and remove ribbons, film, and tape. They also reconcile and post receipts for cash received by various departments. They are sometimes expected to operate bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile archives of transactions. Somewhat less frequently, payroll machine operators are also expected to compute payroll and retirement amounts, applying knowledge of payroll deductions and survivor allowances.
Payroll machine operators sometimes are asked to operate special billing machines to ready statements and invoices. and assign purchase order numbers to invoices and formal and informal bids. And finally, they sometimes have to compile and verify requisition, production and other reports which require specialized knowledge in selecting the totals used.
Like many other jobs, payroll machine operators must be reliable and be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Miramar include:
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Computer Clerk. Operate data entry device.
- Gaming Cashier. Conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. May reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Accept patron's credit application and verify credit references to provide check-cashing authorization or to establish house credit accounts. May sell gambling chips, tokens, or tickets to patrons, or to other workers for resale to patrons. May convert gaming chips, tokens, or tickets to currency upon patron's request. May use a cash register or computer to record transaction.
- Payroll Bookkeeper. Compile and post employee time and payroll data. May compute employees' time worked, production, and commission. May compute and post wages and deductions. May prepare paychecks.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
- Statistical Clerk. Compile and compute data according to statistical formulas for use in statistical studies. May perform actuarial computations and compile charts and graphs for use by actuaries. Includes actuarial clerks.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Payroll Machine Operator Training
Florida National College - Hialeah, FL
Florida National College, 4425 West 20 Avenue, Hialeah, FL 33012. Florida National College is a small college located in Hialeah, Florida. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 2,398 students. Florida National College has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated twenty-seven students in 2008.
ITT Technical Institute-Miami - Miami, FL
ITT Technical Institute-Miami, 7955 NW 12th St, Ste 119, Miami, FL 33126. ITT Technical Institute-Miami is a small school located in Miami, Florida. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 726 students and an admission rate of 34%. ITT Technical Institute-Miami has a bachelor's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
Sheridan Technical Center - Hollywood, FL
Sheridan Technical Center, 5400 Sheridan St, Hollywood, FL 33021. Sheridan Technical Center is a small school located in Hollywood, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,526 students. Sheridan Technical Center has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated six students in 2008.
Broward College - Fort Lauderdale, FL
Broward College, 225 E las Olas Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301. Broward College is a large college located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 33,527 students. Broward College has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated twenty-six students in 2008.
Miami Lakes Educational Center - Miami Lakes, FL
Miami Lakes Educational Center, 5780 NW 158th St, Miami Lakes, FL 33014. Miami Lakes Educational Center is a small school located in Miami Lakes, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,376 students. Miami Lakes Educational Center has a one to two year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
Certified Medical Coder: Experienced medical office professionals with exceptional coding skills are eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Coder (CMC) exam.
For more information, see the Practice Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Miramar, Florida
Miramar is located in Broward County, Florida. It has a population of over 108,484, which has grown by 49.1% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Miramar, 117, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Miramar are priced at $239,500 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred ten new homes were constructed in Miramar, down from one hundred thirty-eight the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Miramar are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, public administration, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average commute to work is about 32 minutes. More than 20.7% of Miramar residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Miramar is 9.7%, which is less than Florida's average of 11.3%.
The percentage of Miramar residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 45.9%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Pembroke Road Church, Saint Bartholomew Church and Saint Stephens Church are among the churches located in Miramar. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Miramar is home to the Parkway Plaza and the Miramar Country Club as well as Southwest Broward Junior Athletic Association and Calhoun Recreation Complex. Shopping centers in the area include Palmetto By Pass Shopping Center and Miramar Shopping Center.