Career and Education Opportunities for English Professors in Miramar, Florida
For those living in the Miramar, Florida area, there are many career and education opportunities for english professors. In general, english professors teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $22 per hour or $58,922 per year in Florida, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Compared with people working in the overall category of Postsecondary Education, people working as english professors in Florida earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Postsecondary Education nationally. People working as english professors can fill a number of jobs, such as: language arts teacher, creative writing teacher, and developmental writing instructor.
There are seventy schools of higher education in the Miramar area, including five within twenty-five miles of Miramar where you can get a degree to start your career as an english professor. The most common level of education for english professors is a Master's degree. You can expect to spend about six years training to become an english professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: English Professor
In general, english professors teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
English professors initiate and moderate classroom discussions. They also evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. Equally important, english professors have to ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. They are often called upon to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They are expected to maintain student attendance records and other required records. Finally, english professors ready and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as poetry and translation and adaptation.
Every day, english professors are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to write clearly and communicate well. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for english professors to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments. They are often called upon to decide on and obtain materials and supplies such as textbooks. They also participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are sometimes expected to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. Somewhat less frequently, english professors are also expected to serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues.
English professors sometimes are asked to maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students. They also have to be able to perform administrative duties such as serving as department head and participate in campus and community events. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish assistance to students in college writing centers.
Like many other jobs, english professors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Miramar include:
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- Elementary School Teacher. Teach pupils in public or private schools at the elementary level basic academic, social, and other formative skills.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Instructional Systems Specialist. Develop instructional material, coordinate educational content, and incorporate current technology in specialized fields that provide guidelines to educators and instructors for developing curricula and conducting courses.
- Kindergarten Teacher. Teach elemental natural and social science, personal hygiene, and literature to children from 4 to 6 years old. Promote physical, mental, and social development. May be required to hold State certification.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: English Professor Training
Nova Southeastern University - Fort Lauderdale, FL
Nova Southeastern University, 3301 College Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314-7796. Nova Southeastern University is a large university located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 27,518 students and an admission rate of 45%. Nova Southeastern University has 2 areas of study related to English Professor. They are:
- English Language and Literature, bachelor's degree which graduated 9 students in 2008.
- English Language and Literature/Letters, Other Specialties, master's degree which graduated 3 students in 2008.
Florida Memorial University - Miami Gardens, FL
Florida Memorial University, 15800 NW 42 Ave, Miami Gardens, FL 33054-6199. Florida Memorial University is a small university located in Miami Gardens, Florida. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,813 students and an admission rate of 40%. Florida Memorial University has a bachelor's degree program in English Language and Literature which graduated four students in 2008.
Saint Thomas University - Miami Gardens, FL
Saint Thomas University, 16401 NW 37th Ave, Miami Gardens, FL 33054-6459. Saint Thomas University is a small university located in Miami Gardens, Florida. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,381 students and an admission rate of 65%. Saint Thomas University has a bachelor's degree program in English Language and Literature which graduated one student in 2008.
Florida Atlantic University - Boca Raton, FL
Florida Atlantic University, 777 Glades Rd, Boca Raton, FL 33431-0991. Florida Atlantic University is a large university located in Boca Raton, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 26,857 students and an admission rate of 49%. Florida Atlantic University has 2 areas of study related to English Professor. They are:
- English Language and Literature, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated one and sixteen students respectively in 2008.
- Creative Writing, master's degree which graduated 11 students in 2008.
Barry University - Miami, FL
Barry University, 11300 NE 2nd Ave, Miami, FL 33161-6695. Barry University is a medium sized university located in Miami, Florida. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 8,364 students and an admission rate of 60%. Barry University has a bachelor's degree program in English Language and Literature which graduated six students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Miramar, Florida
Miramar is located in Broward County, Florida. It has a population of over 108,484, which has grown by 49.1% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Miramar, 117, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Miramar are priced at $239,500 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred ten new homes were constructed in Miramar, down from one hundred thirty-eight the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Miramar are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, public administration, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average commute to work is about 32 minutes. More than 20.7% of Miramar residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Miramar is 9.7%, which is less than Florida's average of 11.3%.
The percentage of Miramar residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 45.9%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Pembroke Road Church, Saint Bartholomew Church and Saint Stephens Church are among the churches located in Miramar. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Miramar is home to the Parkway Plaza and the Miramar Country Club as well as Southwest Broward Junior Athletic Association and Calhoun Recreation Complex. Shopping centers in the area include Palmetto By Pass Shopping Center and Miramar Shopping Center.