Career and Education Opportunities for Communication Professors in Miramar, Florida
For those living in the Miramar, Florida area, there are many career and education opportunities for communication professors. In general, communication professors teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $22 per hour or $58,922 per year in Florida, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Communication professors earn less than people working in the category of Postsecondary Education generally in Florida and less than people in the Postsecondary Education category nationally. People working as communication professors can fill a number of jobs, such as: communication skills instructor, drama professor, and oral communication instructor.
There are seventy schools of higher education in the Miramar area, including nine within twenty-five miles of Miramar where you can get a degree to start your career as a communication professor. Communication professors usually hold a Master's degree, so you can expect to spend about six years training to become a communication professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years starting with a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Communication Professor
In general, communication professors teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
Communication professors evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. They also ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. Equally important, communication professors have to keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They are often called upon to maintain student attendance records and other required records. They are expected to compile and grade examinations, or assign this work to others. Finally, communication professors compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
Every day, communication professors are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for communication professors to participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are often called upon to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. They also act as advisers to student organizations. They are sometimes expected to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. Somewhat less frequently, communication professors are also expected to perform administrative duties such as serving as department head.
Communication professors sometimes are asked to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They also have to be able to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments and participate in campus and community events. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry.
Like many other jobs, communication professors must be reliable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Miramar include:
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Communication Professor Training
Miami Ad School - Miami Beach, FL
Miami Ad School, 955 Alton Rd, Miami Beach, FL 33139-5203. Miami Ad School is a small school located in Miami Beach, Florida. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 173 students. Miami Ad School has associate's degree, two to four year, and master's degree programs in Advertising which graduated zero, sixty-three, and nine students respectively in 2008.
Florida Atlantic University - Boca Raton, FL
Florida Atlantic University, 777 Glades Rd, Boca Raton, FL 33431-0991. Florida Atlantic University is a large university located in Boca Raton, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 26,857 students and an admission rate of 49%. Florida Atlantic University has 2 areas of study related to Communication Professor. They are:
- Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Digital Communication and Media/Multimedia, bachelor's degree which graduated 2 students in 2008.
Nova Southeastern University - Fort Lauderdale, FL
Nova Southeastern University, 3301 College Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314-7796. Nova Southeastern University is a large university located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 27,518 students and an admission rate of 45%. Nova Southeastern University has a bachelor's degree program in Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric which graduated fifteen students in 2008.
McFatter Technical Center - Davie, FL
McFatter Technical Center, 6500 Nova Drive, Davie, FL 33317. McFatter Technical Center is a small school located in Davie, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,039 students. McFatter Technical Center has a one to two year program in Digital Communication and Media/Multimedia which graduated six students in 2008.
Lynn University - Boca Raton, FL
Lynn University, 3601 N. Military Trail, Boca Raton, FL 33431-5598. Lynn University is a small university located in Boca Raton, Florida. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 2,324 students. Lynn University has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Mass Communication/Media Studies which graduated sixty-three and six students respectively in 2008.
The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale Inc - Fort Lauderdale, FL
The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale Inc, 1799 SE 17th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316-3000. The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale Inc is a small school located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,071 students and an admission rate of 52%. The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale Inc has a bachelor's degree program in Advertising which graduated eighteen students in 2008.
Atlantic Technical Center - Coconut Creek, FL
Atlantic Technical Center, 4700 Coconut Creek Pky, Coconut Creek, FL 33063-3902. Atlantic Technical Center is a small school located in Coconut Creek, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,091 students. Atlantic Technical Center has a one to two year program in Digital Communication and Media/Multimedia which graduated four students in 2008.
Barry University - Miami, FL
Barry University, 11300 NE 2nd Ave, Miami, FL 33161-6695. Barry University is a medium sized university located in Miami, Florida. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 8,364 students and an admission rate of 60%. Barry University has 4 areas of study related to Communication Professor. They are:
- Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric, bachelor's degree which graduated 5 students in 2008.
- Radio and Television, bachelor's degree which graduated 15 students in 2008.
- Public Relations/Image Management, bachelor's degree which graduated 9 students in 2008.
- Advertising, bachelor's degree which graduated 9 students in 2008.
Sheridan Technical Center - Hollywood, FL
Sheridan Technical Center, 5400 Sheridan St, Hollywood, FL 33021. Sheridan Technical Center is a small school located in Hollywood, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,526 students. Sheridan Technical Center has a less than one year program in Digital Communication and Media/Multimedia which graduated one student in 2008.
Accreditation in Public Relations: APR certification proves you have successfully demonstrated competency in the knowledge, skills and abilities required to practice public relations effectively in today's business arena.
For more information, see the Public Relations Society of America website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Miramar, Florida
Miramar is located in Broward County, Florida. It has a population of over 108,484, which has grown by 49.1% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Miramar, 117, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Miramar are priced at $239,500 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred ten new homes were constructed in Miramar, down from one hundred thirty-eight the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Miramar are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, public administration, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average commute to work is about 32 minutes. More than 20.7% of Miramar residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Miramar is 9.7%, which is less than Florida's average of 11.3%.
The percentage of Miramar residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 45.9%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Pembroke Road Church, Saint Bartholomew Church and Saint Stephens Church are among the churches located in Miramar. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Miramar is home to the Parkway Plaza and the Miramar Country Club as well as Southwest Broward Junior Athletic Association and Calhoun Recreation Complex. Shopping centers in the area include Palmetto By Pass Shopping Center and Miramar Shopping Center.