Career and Education Opportunities for Craftsmen in Miami, Florida
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for craftsmen in the Miami, Florida area. The national trend for craftsmen sees this job pool growing by about 7.2% over the next eight years. In general, craftsmen create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
Craftsmen earn approximately $11 per hour or $23,850 per year on average in Florida. Nationally they average about $13 per hour or $29,080 yearly. Compared with people working in the overall category of Art and Design, people working as craftsmen in Florida earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Art and Design nationally. Jobs in this field include: ceramic artist, copyist, and ivory carver.
The Miami area is home to ninety-eight schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of Miami where you can get a degree as a craftsman. Craftsmen usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so it will take only a short time to learn to be a craftsman if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Craftsman
In general, craftsmen create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
Craftsmen develop functional or decorative objects by hand, using a variety of methods and materials. They also design product packaging, display and pricing strategies. Equally important, craftsmen have to attend craft shows to market products. They are often called upon to advertise products and work, using media such as internet advertising and brochures. They are expected to design creative concepts for craft objects. Finally, craftsmen fabricate patterns or templates to guide craft production.
Every day, craftsmen are expected to be able to control and manipulate objects at a fine level of detail. They need to control objects and devices with precise control. It is also important that they move quickly in order to hold onto or control objects and devices.
It is important for craftsmen to apply finishes to objects being crafted. They are often called upon to design designs using specialized computer software. Somewhat less frequently, craftsmen are also expected to research craft trends and customer buying patterns so as to inspire designs and marketing strategies.
Craftsmen sometimes are asked to develop prototypes or models of objects to be crafted. And finally, they sometimes have to talk with customers to gauge customer needs or obtain feedback.
Like many other jobs, craftsmen must be thorough and dependable and believe in innovation and creative thought.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Miami include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Craftsman Training
American Intercontinental University - Weston, FL
American Intercontinental University, 2250 North Commerce Pkwy, Weston, FL 33326. American Intercontinental University is a small university located in Weston, Florida. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,179 students and an admission rate of 25%. American Intercontinental University has a bachelor's degree program in Art/Art Studies which graduated thirty-two students in 2008.
Barry University - Miami, FL
Barry University, 11300 NE 2nd Ave, Miami, FL 33161-6695. Barry University is a medium sized university located in Miami, Florida. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 8,364 students and an admission rate of 60%. Barry University has a bachelor's degree program in Art/Art Studies which graduated ten students in 2008.
AI Miami International University of Art and Design - Miami, FL
AI Miami International University of Art and Design, 1501 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami, FL 33132-1418. AI Miami International University of Art and Design is a small university located in Miami, Florida. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,120 students and an admission rate of 41%. AI Miami International University of Art and Design has 3 areas of study related to Craftsman. They are:
- Art/Art Studies, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated eleven and three students respectively in 2008.
- Painting, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Metal and Jewelry Arts, associate's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
University of Miami - Coral Gables, FL
University of Miami, University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL 33124. University of Miami is a large university located in Coral Gables, Florida. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 15,323 students and an admission rate of 39%. University of Miami has 5 areas of study related to Craftsman. They are:
- Art/Art Studies, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated ten and seven students respectively in 2008.
- Painting, bachelor's degree which graduated 2 students in 2008.
- Sculpture, bachelor's degree which graduated 2 students in 2008.
- Printmaking, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Ceramic Arts and Ceramics, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
Florida International University - Miami, FL
Florida International University, 11200 S. W. 8 Street, Miami, FL 33199. Florida International University is a large university located in Miami, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 34,159 students and an admission rate of 44%. Florida International University has a bachelor's degree program in Art/Art Studies which graduated two students in 2008.
Certified Decorative Artist: The Certified Decorative Artist applicant must pay the required fees and submit one piece of work for judging.
For more information, see the Society of Decorative Painters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Miami, Florida
Miami is located in Miami-Dade County, Florida. It has a population of over 413,201, which has grown by 14.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Miami, 140, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Miami cost $273,500 on average, which is near the state average. In 2008, thirty-seven new homes were built in Miami, down from seventy-three the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Miami are health care, accommodation and food services, and educational services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 28 minutes. More than 16.2% of Miami residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.7%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Miami is 12.5%, which is greater than Florida's average of 11.3%.
The percentage of Miami residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 39.6%, is less than both the national and state average. Church of Resurrection, Church of the Ascension and Church of the Incarnation are all churches located in Miami. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the Seventh-Day Adventist Church.
Miami is home to the Edison West Little River Neighborhood Center and the Miamarina South Pier Light as well as Belle Meade Park and 54th Street Mini Park. Shopping malls in the area include Central Shopping Center, Northside Mall and Northside Shopping Center. Visitors to Miami can choose from AmeriSuites Miami / Kendall, Four Seasons Hotel Miami and Airways Airport Inn & Suites for temporary stays in the area.