Career and Education Opportunities for Clerks in Coral Springs, Florida
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for clerks in the Coral Springs, Florida area. The national trend for clerks sees this job pool growing by about 15.3% over the next eight years. In general, clerks compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes.
Clerks earn about $14 hourly or $29,500 per year on average in Florida and about $14 per hour or $30,950 yearly on average nationally. Incomes for clerks are better than in the overall category of Billing and Bookkeeping in Florida, and better than the overall Billing and Bookkeeping category nationally.
There are fifty schools of higher education in the Coral Springs area, including three within twenty-five miles of Coral Springs where you can get a degree to start your career as a clerk. Clerks usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so it will take only a short time to learn to be a clerk if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Clerk
In general, clerks compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. They also duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records.
Clerks verify precision of billing data and revise any errors. They also operate typing and billing machines. Equally important, clerks have to contact customers so as to obtain or relay account data. They are often called upon to perform bookkeeping work, including posting data and keeping other archives concerning costs of goods and services and the shipment of goods. Finally, clerks ready itemized statements or invoices; and record amounts due for items purchased or services rendered.
Every day, clerks are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for clerks to resolve discrepancies in accounting reports. They are often called upon to type billing documents and credit forms, using typewriters or computers. They also keep archives of invoices and support documents. They are sometimes expected to inspect documents such as purchase orders or hospital archives so as to compute fees and charges due. Somewhat less frequently, clerks are also expected to consult sources such as rate books and insurance company representatives in order to establish specific charges and data such as rules and government tax and tariff data.
Clerks sometimes are asked to compile reports of cost factors, such as labor and equipment. They also have to be able to inspect compiled data on operating costs and revenues so as to set rates And finally, they sometimes have to operate typing and billing machines.
Like many other jobs, clerks must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Coral Springs include:
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Broker Assistant. Perform clerical duties involving the purchase or sale of securities. Duties include writing orders for stock purchases and sales, computing transfer taxes, verifying stock transactions, accepting and delivering securities, tracking stock price fluctuations, computing equity, and keeping records of daily transactions and holdings.
- Gaming Cashier. Conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. May reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Accept patron's credit application and verify credit references to provide check-cashing authorization or to establish house credit accounts. May sell gambling chips, tokens, or tickets to patrons, or to other workers for resale to patrons. May convert gaming chips, tokens, or tickets to currency upon patron's request. May use a cash register or computer to record transaction.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Clerk Training
Sheridan Technical Center - Hollywood, FL
Sheridan Technical Center, 5400 Sheridan St, Hollywood, FL 33021. Sheridan Technical Center is a small school located in Hollywood, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,526 students. Sheridan Technical Center has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated six students in 2008.
Broward College - Fort Lauderdale, FL
Broward College, 225 E las Olas Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301. Broward College is a large college located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 33,527 students. Broward College has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated twenty-six students in 2008.
Miami Lakes Educational Center - Miami Lakes, FL
Miami Lakes Educational Center, 5780 NW 158th St, Miami Lakes, FL 33014. Miami Lakes Educational Center is a small school located in Miami Lakes, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,376 students. Miami Lakes Educational Center has a one to two year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
Certified Medical Coder: Experienced medical office professionals with exceptional coding skills are eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Coder (CMC) exam.
For more information, see the Practice Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Coral Springs, Florida
Coral Springs is located in Broward County, Florida. It has a population of over 125,783, which has grown by 7.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Coral Springs, 115, is well above the national average. New single-family homes in Coral Springs are valued at $140,000 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, two new homes were constructed in Coral Springs, down from thirteen the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Coral Springs are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and finance and insurance. The average travel time to work is about 28 minutes. More than 33.9% of Coral Springs residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 11.6%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Coral Springs is 8.8%, which is less than Florida's average of 11.3%.
The percentage of Coral Springs residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 45.9%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Coral Baptist Church Mission, Coral Springs Community Church and Royal Palm Christian Church are among the churches located in Coral Springs. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Coral Springs is home to the The Plaza at Coral Springs and the Ramblewood Plaza. Shopping centers in the area include Coral Springs Mall, Coral Square Mall and Village Green Shopping Center.