Career and Education Opportunities for Graphic Designers in Coral Springs, Florida
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for graphic designers in the Coral Springs, Florida area. There are currently 16,180 working graphic designers in Florida; this should grow by 17% to 18,910 working graphic designers in the state by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for graphic designers are expected to grow by about 12.9%. In general, graphic designers design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos.
The income of a graphic designer is about $18 hourly or $38,080 annually on average in Florida. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $20 per hour or $42,400 annually on average. Earnings for graphic designers are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Art and Design in Florida and not quite as good as general Art and Design category earnings nationally. People working as graphic designers can fill a number of jobs, such as: creative manager, layout artist, and online producer.
There are fifty schools of higher education in the Coral Springs area, including eight within twenty-five miles of Coral Springs where you can get a degree to start your career as a graphic designer. The most common level of education for graphic designers is a Bachelor's degree. You can expect to spend about four years training to become a graphic designer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Graphic Designer
In general, graphic designers design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. They also may use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
Graphic designers develop designs and sample layouts on the basis of knowledge of layout principles and esthetic design concepts. They also maintain archives of images or previous work products. Equally important, graphic designers have to design negatives and prints to produce layout photographs, using negative and print developing equipment and tools. They are often called upon to use computer software to generate new images. They are expected to design graphics and layouts for product illustrations and Internet websites. Finally, graphic designers key data into computer equipment to generate layouts for clients or supervisors.
Every day, graphic designers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to be creative and generate new ideas.
It is important for graphic designers to mark up and assemble final layouts to ready layouts for printer. They are often called upon to produce still and animated graphics for on-air and taped portions of television news broadcasts, using electronic video equipment. They also research new software or layout concepts. They are sometimes expected to talk with clients to consider and decide on layout design. Somewhat less frequently, graphic designers are also expected to photograph layouts, using camera, to make layout prints for supervisors or clients.
Graphic designers sometimes are asked to inspect final layouts and suggest improvements as needed. And finally, they sometimes have to ready notes and instructions for staff who assemble and ready final layouts for printing.
Like many other jobs, graphic designers must be thorough and dependable and believe in innovation and creative thought.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Coral Springs include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Camera Operator. Operate television, video, or motion picture camera to photograph images or scenes for various purposes, such as TV broadcasts, advertising, or motion pictures.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Director. Interpret script, conduct rehearsals, and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, or radio programs.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Graphic Designer Training
Broward College - Fort Lauderdale, FL
Broward College, 225 E las Olas Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301. Broward College is a large college located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 33,527 students. Broward College has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Commercial and Advertising Art which graduated seventeen and six students respectively in 2008.
ITT Technical Institute-Fort Lauderdale - Fort Lauderdale, FL
ITT Technical Institute-Fort Lauderdale, 3401 S University Dr, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33328. ITT Technical Institute-Fort Lauderdale is a small school located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 807 students and an admission rate of 42%. ITT Technical Institute-Fort Lauderdale has 2 areas of study related to Graphic Designer. They are:
- Web Page, Digital/Multimedia & Information Resources Design, associate's degree which graduated 16 students in 2008.
- Design and Visual Communications, associate's degree.
Lynn University - Boca Raton, FL
Lynn University, 3601 N. Military Trail, Boca Raton, FL 33431-5598. Lynn University is a small university located in Boca Raton, Florida. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 2,324 students. Lynn University has a bachelor's degree program in Commercial and Advertising Art which graduated fourteen students in 2008.
The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale Inc - Fort Lauderdale, FL
The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale Inc, 1799 SE 17th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316-3000. The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale Inc is a small school located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,071 students and an admission rate of 52%. The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale Inc has 4 areas of study related to Graphic Designer. They are:
- Web Page, Digital/Multimedia & Information Resources Design, associate's degree and bachelor's degree which graduated four and twenty students respectively in 2008.
- Computer Graphics, bachelor's degree which graduated 28 students in 2008.
- Commercial and Advertising Art, one to two year, associate's degree, and bachelor's degree which graduated twenty-five, thirty-three, and sixty-six students respectively in 2008.
- Industrial Design, bachelor's degree which graduated 33 students in 2008.
Digital Media Arts College - Boca Raton, FL
Digital Media Arts College, 3785 N Federal Hwy, Boca Raton, FL 33431. Digital Media Arts College is a small college located in Boca Raton, Florida. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 414 students. Digital Media Arts College has 2 areas of study related to Graphic Designer. They are:
- Computer Graphics, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated thirty-two and nineteen students respectively in 2008.
- Graphic Design, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated ten and fifteen students respectively in 2008.
Atlantic Technical Center - Coconut Creek, FL
Atlantic Technical Center, 4700 Coconut Creek Pky, Coconut Creek, FL 33063-3902. Atlantic Technical Center is a small school located in Coconut Creek, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,091 students. Atlantic Technical Center has a less than one year program in Web Page, Digital/Multimedia & Information Resources Design which graduated eleven students in 2008.
Sheridan Technical Center - Hollywood, FL
Sheridan Technical Center, 5400 Sheridan St, Hollywood, FL 33021. Sheridan Technical Center is a small school located in Hollywood, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,526 students. Sheridan Technical Center has a one to two year program in Web Page, Digital/Multimedia & Information Resources Design which graduated ten students in 2008.
Miami Lakes Educational Center - Miami Lakes, FL
Miami Lakes Educational Center, 5780 NW 158th St, Miami Lakes, FL 33014. Miami Lakes Educational Center is a small school located in Miami Lakes, Florida. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,376 students. Miami Lakes Educational Center has a one to two year program in Graphic Design.
Certified Web Professional - Site Designer: A CWP Site Designer implements and maintains Web sites using authoring and scripting languages, content creation and management tools, and digital media.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Web Graphics and Multimedia Certificate: Equips the student for work as a Web graphic artist, creating illustrations, pictures, buttons, and other images for use on the Web, as well as the ability to create interactive multimedia designs in Flash or other programs.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Certified Web Designer Associate: Web Designer Associates are proficient in the visual arts and creating the images and designs that capture and keep visitors' interest.
For more information, see the World Organization of Webmasters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Coral Springs, Florida
Coral Springs is located in Broward County, Florida. It has a population of over 125,783, which has grown by 7.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Coral Springs, 115, is well above the national average. New single-family homes in Coral Springs are valued at $140,000 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, two new homes were constructed in Coral Springs, down from thirteen the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Coral Springs are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and finance and insurance. The average travel time to work is about 28 minutes. More than 33.9% of Coral Springs residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 11.6%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Coral Springs is 8.8%, which is less than Florida's average of 11.3%.
The percentage of Coral Springs residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 45.9%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Coral Baptist Church Mission, Coral Springs Community Church and Royal Palm Christian Church are among the churches located in Coral Springs. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church.
Coral Springs is home to the The Plaza at Coral Springs and the Ramblewood Plaza. Shopping centers in the area include Coral Springs Mall, Coral Square Mall and Village Green Shopping Center.