Career and Education Opportunities for Multi-Media Artist or Animators in Hartford, Connecticut
Multi-media artist or animators can find many career and educational opportunities in the Hartford, Connecticut area. About 760 people are currently employed as multi-media artist or animators in Connecticut. By 2016, this is expected to grow 21% to about 910 people employed. This is better than the national trend for multi-media artist or animators, which sees this job pool growing by about 14.2% over the next eight years. Multi-media artist or animators generally create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
Multi-media artist or animators earn approximately $24 per hour or $50,940 per year on average in Connecticut. Nationally they average about $27 hourly or $56,330 yearly. Incomes for multi-media artist or animators are better than in the overall category of Art and Design in Connecticut, and better than the overall Art and Design category nationally. People working as multi-media artist or animators can fill a number of jobs, such as: animation director, animation producer, and multimedia developer.
The Hartford area is home to sixty-two schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of Hartford where you can get a degree as a multi-media artist or animator. Given that the most common education level for multi-media artist or animators is a Bachelor's degree, it will take about four years to learn to be a multi-media artist or animator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Multi-Media Artist or Animator
In general, multi-media artist or animators create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
Every day, multi-media artist or animators are expected to be able to be creative and generate new ideas. They need to visualize how things come together and can be organized. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for multi-media artist or animators to layout complex graphics and animation, using independent judgment and computer equipment. They are often called upon to make objects or characters appear lifelike by manipulating light and transparency, or manipulating static images to give the illusion of motion. They also develop pen-and-paper images to be scanned, edited, colored, textured or animated by computer. They are sometimes expected to develop basic designs and illustrations for product labels or television. Somewhat less frequently, multi-media artist or animators are also expected to use models to simulate the behavior of animated objects in the finished sequence.
Multi-media artist or animators sometimes are asked to develop and install special effects as required by the script, mixing chemicals and fabricating needed parts from wood and clay. and implement and maintain configuration control systems. And finally, they sometimes have to implement and maintain configuration control systems.
Like many other jobs, multi-media artist or animators must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Hartford include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Multi-Media Artist or Animator Training
Northwestern Connecticut Community College - Winsted, CT
Northwestern Connecticut Community College, Park Pl E, Winsted, CT 06098. Northwestern Connecticut Community College is a small college located in Winsted, Connecticut. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,721 students. Northwestern Connecticut Community College has an associate's degree program in Animation, Interactive Technology, Video Graphics & Special Effects which graduated eight students in 2008.
Springfield Technical Community College - Springfield, MA
Springfield Technical Community College, 1 Armory Sq, Springfield, MA 01105-1296. Springfield Technical Community College is a medium sized college located in Springfield, Massachusetts. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 6,331 students. Springfield Technical Community College has 2 areas of study related to Multi-Media Artist or Animator. They are:
- Animation, Interactive Technology, Video Graphics & Special Effects, associate's degree which graduated 8 students in 2008.
- Web Page, Digital/Multimedia & Information Resources Design, less than one year and associate's degree which graduated three and six students respectively in 2008.
Quinnipiac University - Hamden, CT
Quinnipiac University, Mt Carmel Ave, Hamden, CT 06518. Quinnipiac University is a medium sized university located in Hamden, Connecticut. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 7,413 students and an admission rate of 45%. Quinnipiac University has a bachelor's degree program in Web Page, Digital/Multimedia & Information Resources Design which graduated twenty-five students in 2008.
University of Hartford - West Hartford, CT
University of Hartford, 200 Bloomfield Ave, West Hartford, CT 06117-1599. University of Hartford is a medium sized university located in West Hartford, Connecticut. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 7,366 students and an admission rate of 60%. University of Hartford has 5 areas of study related to Multi-Media Artist or Animator. They are:
- Graphic Design, bachelor's degree which graduated 12 students in 2008.
- Drawing, bachelor's degree.
- Intermedia/Multimedia, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Painting, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Printmaking, bachelor's degree which graduated 6 students in 2008.
Capital Community College - Hartford, CT
Capital Community College, 950 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06103. Capital Community College is a small college located in Hartford, Connecticut. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 3,989 students. Capital Community College has a less than one year program in Printmaking.
Certified Web Professional - Site Designer: A CWP Site Designer implements and maintains Web sites using authoring and scripting languages, content creation and management tools, and digital media.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Web Graphics and Multimedia Certificate: Equips the student for work as a Web graphic artist, creating illustrations, pictures, buttons, and other images for use on the Web, as well as the ability to create interactive multimedia designs in Flash or other programs.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Certified Web Designer Associate: Web Designer Associates are proficient in the visual arts and creating the images and designs that capture and keep visitors' interest.
For more information, see the World Organization of Webmasters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Hartford, Connecticut
Hartford is situated in Hartford County, Connecticut. It has a population of over 124,062, which has grown by 2.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Hartford, 104, is above the national average. New single-family homes in Hartford cost $82,500 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, eight new homes were constructed in Hartford, down from twelve the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Hartford are health care, finance and insurance, and educational services. For men, it is administrative and support and waste management services, construction, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 24 minutes. More than 12.4% of Hartford residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 5.2%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Hartford is 14.4%, which is greater than Connecticut's average of 8.3%.
The percentage of Hartford residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 57.4%, is more than both the national and state average. Our Lady of Sorrows Church, All Saints Orthodox Church and Sacred Heart Church are all churches located in Hartford. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the United Church of Christ and the Episcopal Church.
Hartford is home to the Albany Avenue Branch Hartford Public Library and the North Meadows Industrial Park as well as Little Hollywood Historic District and West End North Historic District. Shopping malls in the area include Park Plaza Shopping Center, Pavillion at State House Shopping Center and Civic Center Mall Shopping Center.