Career and Education Opportunities for Clerks in Bridgeport, Connecticut
Bridgeport, Connecticut provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for clerks. The national trend for clerks sees this job pool growing by about 15.3% over the next eight years. Clerks generally compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes.
Income for clerks is about $17 per hour or $35,680 annually on average in Connecticut. Nationally, their income is about $14 hourly or $30,950 per year. Incomes for clerks are better than in the overall category of Billing and Bookkeeping in Connecticut, and better than the overall Billing and Bookkeeping category nationally.
There are seventy-five schools of higher education in the Bridgeport area, including nine within twenty-five miles of Bridgeport where you can get a degree to start your career as a clerk. Clerks usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a clerk if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Clerk
In general, clerks compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. They also duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records.
Clerks verify precision of billing data and revise any errors. They also operate typing and billing machines. Equally important, clerks have to contact customers so as to obtain or relay account data. They are often called upon to perform bookkeeping work, including posting data and keeping other archives concerning costs of goods and services and the shipment of goods. Finally, clerks ready itemized statements or invoices; and record amounts due for items purchased or services rendered.
Every day, clerks are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for clerks to resolve discrepancies in accounting reports. They are often called upon to type billing documents and credit forms, using typewriters or computers. They also keep archives of invoices and support documents. They are sometimes expected to inspect documents such as purchase orders or hospital archives so as to compute fees and charges due. Somewhat less frequently, clerks are also expected to consult sources such as rate books and insurance company representatives in order to establish specific charges and data such as rules and government tax and tariff data.
Clerks sometimes are asked to compile reports of cost factors, such as labor and equipment. They also have to be able to inspect compiled data on operating costs and revenues so as to set rates And finally, they sometimes have to operate typing and billing machines.
Like many other jobs, clerks must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Bridgeport include:
- Accounts Receivable Specialist. Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
- Bank Teller. Receive and pay out money. Keep records of money and negotiable instruments involved in a financial institution's various transactions.
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Broker Assistant. Perform clerical duties involving the purchase or sale of securities. Duties include writing orders for stock purchases and sales, computing transfer taxes, verifying stock transactions, accepting and delivering securities, tracking stock price fluctuations, computing equity, and keeping records of daily transactions and holdings.
- Gaming Cashier. Conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. May reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Accept patron's credit application and verify credit references to provide check-cashing authorization or to establish house credit accounts. May sell gambling chips, tokens, or tickets to patrons, or to other workers for resale to patrons. May convert gaming chips, tokens, or tickets to currency upon patron's request. May use a cash register or computer to record transaction.
- Loan Inspector. Interview loan applicants to elicit information; investigate applicants' backgrounds and verify references; prepare loan request papers; and forward findings, reports, and documents to appraisal department. Review loan papers to ensure completeness, and complete transactions between loan establishment, borrowers, and sellers upon approval of loan.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Clerk Training
Naugatuck Valley Community College - Waterbury, CT
Naugatuck Valley Community College, 750 Chase Parkway, Waterbury, CT 06708-3089. Naugatuck Valley Community College is a medium sized college located in Waterbury, Connecticut. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,880 students. Naugatuck Valley Community College has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated three and nineteen students respectively in 2008.
The College of Westchester - White Plains, NY
The College of Westchester, 325 Central Ave, White Plains, NY 10606. The College of Westchester is a small college located in White Plains, New York. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,170 students and an admission rate of 76%. The College of Westchester has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated two and thirty-three students respectively in 2008.
Post University - Waterbury, CT
Post University, 800 Country Club Rd, Waterbury, CT 06723. Post University is a small university located in Waterbury, Connecticut. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,687 students and an admission rate of 51%. Post University has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
Housatonic Community College - Bridgeport, CT
Housatonic Community College, 900 Lafayette Blvd, Bridgeport, CT 06604-4704. Housatonic Community College is a medium sized college located in Bridgeport, Connecticut. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,081 students. Housatonic Community College has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated one and twenty-six students respectively in 2008.
Briarwood College - Southington, CT
Briarwood College, 2279 Mount Vernon Rd, Southington, CT 06489-1057. Briarwood College is a small college located in Southington, Connecticut. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 715 students. Briarwood College has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated one student in 2008.
SUNY Westchester Community College - Valhalla, NY
SUNY Westchester Community College, 75 Grasslands Road, Valhalla, NY 10595. SUNY Westchester Community College is a large college located in Valhalla, New York. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 11,090 students. SUNY Westchester Community College has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated three and fifty students respectively in 2008.
Quinnipiac University - Hamden, CT
Quinnipiac University, Mt Carmel Ave, Hamden, CT 06518. Quinnipiac University is a medium sized university located in Hamden, Connecticut. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 7,413 students and an admission rate of 45%. Quinnipiac University has an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated one and two students respectively in 2008.
Norwalk Community College - Norwalk, CT
Norwalk Community College, 188 Richards Avenue, Norwalk, CT 06854. Norwalk Community College is a medium sized college located in Norwalk, Connecticut. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 6,266 students. Norwalk Community College has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated two and seventeen students respectively in 2008.
Monroe College-New Rochelle - New Rochelle, NY
Monroe College-New Rochelle, 434 Main St, New Rochelle, NY 10801. Monroe College-New Rochelle is a small college located in New Rochelle, New York. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,153 students and an admission rate of 60%. Monroe College-New Rochelle has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated forty-one students in 2008.
Certified Medical Coder: Experienced medical office professionals with exceptional coding skills are eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Coder (CMC) exam.
For more information, see the Practice Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Bridgeport, Connecticut
Bridgeport is located in Fairfield County, Connecticut. It has a population of over 136,405, which has shrunk by 2.2% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Bridgeport, 151, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Bridgeport are valued at $110,900 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, twenty-six new homes were built in Bridgeport, down from forty-one the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Bridgeport are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, administrative and support and waste management services, and accommodation and food services. The average commute to work is about 25 minutes. More than 12.2% of Bridgeport residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Bridgeport is 12.1%, which is greater than Connecticut's average of 8.3%.
The percentage of Bridgeport residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 70.1%, is more than both the national and state average. Calvary Episcopal Church, Golden Hill United Methodist Church and Good Shepherd Christian Church are among the churches located in Bridgeport. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Episcopal Church and the United Church of Christ.
Bridgeport is home to the North Branch Bridgeport Public Library and the Challenger Learning Center as well as Went Field and Johnson Oak Park. Shopping centers in the area include Lafayette Shopping Plaza Shopping Center, Baldwin Plaza Shopping Center and Bayview Shopping Center.