Career and Education Opportunities for Barbers in Westminster, Colorado
For those living in the Westminster, Colorado area, there are many career and education opportunities for barbers. The national trend for barbers sees this job pool growing by about 11.6% over the next eight years. Barbers generally provide barbering services, such as cutting, trimming, and styling hair, trimming beards, or giving shaves.
The average wage in the general category of Personal Care jobs is $12 per hour or $24,008 per year in Colorado, and an average of $12 per hour or $24,156 per year nationwide.
There are sixty-four schools of higher education in the Westminster area, including four within twenty-five miles of Westminster where you can get a degree to start your career as a barber. Given that the most common education level for barbers is a post-secondary certificate, you can expect to spend a short time training to become a barber if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Barber
In general, barbers provide barbering services, such as cutting, trimming, and styling hair, trimming beards, or giving shaves.
Barbers clean and sterilize scissors, combs and other instruments. They also cut and trim hair in line with patrons' instructions and/or current hairstyles, using clippers, combs, hand-held blow driers, and scissors. Equally important, barbers have to question customers regarding desired services and haircut styles. They are often called upon to clean work stations and sweep floors. They are expected to drape and pin protective cloths around customers' shoulders. Finally, barbers shape and trim beards and moustaches, using scissors.
Every day, barbers are expected to be able to control objects and devices with precise control. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for barbers to order supplies. They are often called upon to keep card files on clientele, recording notes of work done, products used and fees charged after each visit. They also apply lather; and shave beards, or neck and temple hair contours, using razors. They are sometimes expected to recommend and sell lotions, tonics, or other cosmetic supplies. Somewhat less frequently, barbers are also expected to keep card files on clientele, recording notes of work done, products used and fees charged after each visit.
And finally, they sometimes have to clean work stations and sweep floors.
Like many other jobs, barbers must be reliable and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Westminster include:
- Assistant Hairstylist. Shampoo and rinse customers' hair.
- Hairdresser. Provide beauty services, such as shampooing, cutting, and styling hair, and massaging and treating scalp. May also apply makeup, dress wigs, perform hair removal, and provide nail and skin care services.
- Makeup Artist. Apply makeup to performers to reflect period, setting, and situation of their role.
- Manicurist. Clean and shape customers' fingernails and toenails. May polish or decorate nails.
- Personal Home Care Aide. Assist elderly or disabled adults with daily living activities at the person's home or in a daytime non-residential facility. Duties performed at a place of residence may include keeping house (making beds, doing laundry, washing dishes) and preparing meals. May provide meals and supervised activities at non-residential care facilities. May advise families, the elderly, and disabled on such things as nutrition, cleanliness, and household utilities.
- Skin Care Specialist. Provide skin care treatments to face and body to enhance an individual's appearance.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Barber Training
Xenon International Academy - Aurora, CO
Xenon International Academy, 2231 S Peoria, Aurora, CO 80014. Xenon International Academy is a small school located in Aurora, Colorado. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 49 students. Xenon International Academy has a one to two year program in Hair Styling/Stylist and Hair Design which graduated one student in 2008.
Emily Griffith Opportunity School - Denver, CO
Emily Griffith Opportunity School, 1250 Welton Street, Denver, CO 80204-2197. Emily Griffith Opportunity School is a small school located in Denver, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 2,148 students. Emily Griffith Opportunity School has 2 areas of study related to Barber. They are:
- Barbering/Barber, one to two year which graduated 28 students in 2008.
- Hair Styling/Stylist and Hair Design, one to two year which graduated 15 students in 2008.
Cuttin' Up Beauty Academy - Denver, CO
Cuttin' Up Beauty Academy, 8101 E Colfax Ave, Denver, CO 80220. Cuttin' Up Beauty Academy is a small school located in Denver, Colorado. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 33 students. Cuttin' Up Beauty Academy has 2 areas of study related to Barber. They are:
- Barbering/Barber, one to two year which graduated 2 students in 2008.
- Hair Styling/Stylist and Hair Design, one to two year which graduated 2 students in 2008.
Pickens Technical College - Aurora, CO
Pickens Technical College, 500 Airport Blvd, Aurora, CO 80011-9307. Pickens Technical College is a small college located in Aurora, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 1,066 students. Pickens Technical College has 2 areas of study related to Barber. They are:
- Barbering/Barber, one to two year which graduated 12 students in 2008.
- Hair Styling/Stylist and Hair Design, less than one year which graduated 15 students in 2008.
Licensing agency: Office of Barber and Cosmetology Licensure
Address: 1560 Broadway, Ste 1340, Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (303) 894-7772
Website: Office of Barber and Cosmetology Licensure
LOCATION INFORMATION: Westminster, Colorado
Westminster is located in Adams County, Colorado. It has a population of over 107,056, which has grown by 6.1% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Westminster, 96, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Westminster are valued at $376,500 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, sixty-two new homes were built in Westminster, down from one hundred forty-six the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Westminster are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and computer and electronic products. The average travel time to work is about 27 minutes. More than 31.3% of Westminster residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.3%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Westminster is 6.2%, which is less than Colorado's average of 6.6%.
The percentage of Westminster residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 30.4%, is less than both the national and state average. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Lutheran Church.
Westminster is home to the The Golf Courses at Hyland Hills and the The Plaza at Westminster. Visitors to Westminster can choose from Comfort Suites, LA Quinta - Inns- Westminster Mall and Doubletree Hotel Denver Boulder for temporary stays in the area.