Career and Education Opportunities for Boat Mechanics in Westminster, Colorado
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for boat mechanics in the Westminster, Colorado area. There are currently 130 jobs for boat mechanics in Colorado and this is projected to grow by 28% to about 160 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for boat mechanics are expected to grow by about 5.6%. Boat mechanics generally repairs and adjusts electrical and mechanical equipment of gasoline or diesel powered inboard or inboard-outboard boat engines.
A person working as a boat mechanic can expect to earn about $14 per hour or $29,150 per year on average in Colorado and about $16 per hour or $34,520 per year on average in the U.S. as a whole. Compared with people working in the overall category of Specialized Equipment, people working as boat mechanics in Colorado earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Specialized Equipment nationally.
There are sixty-four schools of higher education in the Westminster area, including one within twenty-five miles of Westminster where you can get a degree to start your career as a boat mechanic. Boat mechanics usually hold a post-secondary certificate, so you can expect to spend a short time studying to be a boat mechanic if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Boat Mechanic
In general, boat mechanics repairs and adjusts electrical and mechanical equipment of gasoline or diesel powered inboard or inboard-outboard boat engines.
Boat mechanics disassemble and inspect motors to identify faulty parts, using mechanic's hand tools and gauges. They also examine and repair or adjust propellers and propeller shafts. Equally important, boat mechanics have to idle motors and observe thermometers to establish the effectiveness of cooling systems. They are often called upon to document inspection and test results, and work performed or to be performed. They are expected to mount motors to boats and operate boats at various speeds on waterways to conduct operational tests. Finally, boat mechanics repair or rework parts, using machine tools such as lathes and grinders.
Every day, boat mechanics are expected to be able to evaluate problems as they arise. They need to control objects and devices with precise control. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for boat mechanics to adjust generators and remove faulty wiring, using hand tools and soldering irons. Somewhat less frequently, boat mechanics are also expected to start motors, and monitor performance for signs of malfunctioning such as smoke and misfiring.
And finally, they sometimes have to disassemble and inspect motors to identify faulty parts, using mechanic's hand tools and gauges.
Like many other jobs, boat mechanics must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Westminster include:
- Bus or Truck Garage Mechanic. Diagnose, adjust, or overhaul trucks, buses, and all types of diesel engines. Includes mechanics working primarily with automobile diesel engines.
- Camera Repair Technician. Repair and adjust cameras and photographic equipment, including commercial video and motion picture camera equipment.
- Heating Equipment Installer. Install, service, and repair heating and air conditioning systems in residences and commercial establishments.
- Medical Equipment Repairer. Test, adjust, or repair biomedical or electromedical equipment.
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanic. Diagnose, adjust, or overhaul mobile mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment, such as cranes, bulldozers, and conveyors, used in construction, logging, and surface mining.
- Outdoor Power Equipment Mechanic. Diagnose, adjust, or overhaul small engines used to power lawn mowers, chain saws, and related equipment.
- Refrigeration Mechanic. Install and repair industrial and commercial refrigerating systems.
- Rigger. Set up or repair rigging for construction projects, manufacturing plants, logging yards, ships and shipyards, or for the entertainment industry.
- Signal and Track Switch Repairer. Install, inspect, or repair electric gate crossings, signals, or intercommunications systems within a railroad system.
- Vending Machine Mechanic. Install, service, or repair coin, vending, or amusement machines including video games, juke boxes, or slot machines.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Boat Mechanic Training
Pickens Technical College - Aurora, CO
Pickens Technical College, 500 Airport Blvd, Aurora, CO 80011-9307. Pickens Technical College is a small college located in Aurora, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 1,066 students. Pickens Technical College has a less than one year and a one to two year program in Small Engine Mechanics and Repair Technology/Technician which graduated six and thirteen students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Westminster, Colorado
Westminster is located in Adams County, Colorado. It has a population of over 107,056, which has grown by 6.1% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Westminster, 96, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Westminster are valued at $376,500 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, sixty-two new homes were built in Westminster, down from one hundred forty-six the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Westminster are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and computer and electronic products. The average travel time to work is about 27 minutes. More than 31.3% of Westminster residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.3%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Westminster is 6.2%, which is less than Colorado's average of 6.6%.
The percentage of Westminster residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 30.4%, is less than both the national and state average. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Lutheran Church.
Westminster is home to the The Golf Courses at Hyland Hills and the The Plaza at Westminster. Visitors to Westminster can choose from Comfort Suites, LA Quinta - Inns- Westminster Mall and Doubletree Hotel Denver Boulder for temporary stays in the area.