Career and Education Opportunities for Landscape Architects in Westminster, Colorado
For those living in the Westminster, Colorado area, there are many career and education opportunities for landscape architects. There are currently 1,590 jobs for landscape architects in Colorado and this is projected to grow by 23% to 1,950 jobs by 2016. This is better than the national trend for landscape architects, which sees this job pool growing by about 19.7% over the next eight years. Landscape architects generally plan and design land areas for such projects as parks and other recreational facilities, airports, and commercial, industrial, and residential sites.
The income of a landscape architect is about $25 hourly or $52,470 annually on average in Colorado. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $28 per hour or $58,960 per year on average. Landscape architects earn less than people working in the category of Architecture generally in Colorado and less than people in the Architecture category nationally. Landscape architects work in a variety of jobs, including: environment friendly landscape designer, indoor landscape architect, and land planner.
There are two schools within twenty-five miles of Westminster where you can study to be a landscape architect, among sixty-four schools of higher education total in the Westminster area. The most common level of education for landscape architects is a Bachelor's degree. You can expect to spend about four years studying to be a landscape architect if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Landscape Architect
In general, landscape architects plan and design land areas for such projects as parks and other recreational facilities, airports, and commercial, industrial, and residential sites.
Landscape architects talk with clients and architects on overall programs. They also ready site plans and cost estimates for land development, coordinating arrangement of existing and proposed land features and structures. Equally important, landscape architects have to seek new work opportunities through marketing, writing proposals or giving presentations. They are often called upon to inspect landscape work to insure adherence to specifications, approve quality of materials and work, and advise client and construction personnel. They are expected to ready graphic representations and drawings of proposed plans and designs. Finally, landscape architects compile and analyze data on conditions such as location and location of structures for environmental reports and landscaping plans.
Every day, landscape architects are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
And finally, they sometimes have to talk with clients and architects on overall programs.
Like many other jobs, landscape architects must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Westminster include:
- Architect. Plan and design structures, such as private residences, office buildings, and other structural property.
- Civil Engineer. Perform engineering duties in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures, and facilities, such as roads, railroads, airports, bridges, harbors, channels, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, power plants, water and sewage systems, and waste disposal units. Includes architectural, structural, and geo-technical engineers.
- Civil Engineering Technician. Apply theory and principles of civil engineering in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of structures and facilities under the direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
- Health, Safety, and Environment Manager. Plan, implement, and coordinate safety programs, requiring application of engineering principles and technology, to prevent or correct unsafe environmental working conditions.
- Materials Engineer. Evaluate materials and develop machinery and processes to manufacture materials for use in products that must meet specialized design and performance specifications. Develop new uses for known materials. Includes those working with composite materials or specializing in one type of material, such as graphite, metal and metal alloys, ceramics and glass, plastics and polymers, and naturally occurring materials.
- Surveyor. Make exact measurements and determine property boundaries. Provide data relevant to the shape, contour, or dimension of land or land features on or near the earth's surface for engineering, mapmaking, and other purposes.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Landscape Architect Training
University of Colorado Denver - Denver, CO
University of Colorado Denver, , Denver, CO 80217-3364. University of Colorado Denver is a large university located in Denver, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 17,510 students and an admission rate of 68%. University of Colorado Denver has 2 areas of study related to Landscape Architect. They are:
- Environmental Design/Architecture, doctor's degree which graduated 3 students in 2008.
- Landscape Architecture, master's degree which graduated 29 students in 2008.
University of Colorado at Boulder - Boulder, CO
University of Colorado at Boulder, Regent Drive at Broadway, Boulder, CO 80309-0017. University of Colorado at Boulder is a large university located in Boulder, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 32,191 students and an admission rate of 78%. University of Colorado at Boulder has a bachelor's degree program in Environmental Design/Architecture which graduated 176 students in 2008.
Licensing agency: Department of Regulatory Agencies
Address: Division of Registrations, 1560 Broadway, Suite 1340, Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (303) 894-2440
Website: Department of Regulatory Agencies Division of Registrations
LOCATION INFORMATION: Westminster, Colorado
Westminster is located in Adams County, Colorado. It has a population of over 107,056, which has grown by 6.1% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Westminster, 96, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Westminster are valued at $376,500 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, sixty-two new homes were built in Westminster, down from one hundred forty-six the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Westminster are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and computer and electronic products. The average travel time to work is about 27 minutes. More than 31.3% of Westminster residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.3%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Westminster is 6.2%, which is less than Colorado's average of 6.6%.
The percentage of Westminster residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 30.4%, is less than both the national and state average. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Lutheran Church.
Westminster is home to the The Golf Courses at Hyland Hills and the The Plaza at Westminster. Visitors to Westminster can choose from Comfort Suites, LA Quinta - Inns- Westminster Mall and Doubletree Hotel Denver Boulder for temporary stays in the area.