Career and Education Opportunities for Barbers in Thornton, Colorado
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for barbers in the Thornton, Colorado area. The national trend for barbers sees this job pool growing by about 11.6% over the next eight years. In general, barbers provide barbering services, such as cutting, trimming, and styling hair, trimming beards, or giving shaves.
The average wage in the general category of Personal Care jobs is $12 per hour or $24,008 per year in Colorado, and an average of $12 per hour or $24,156 per year nationwide.
The Thornton area is home to fifty-nine schools of higher education, including four within twenty-five miles of Thornton where you can get a degree as a barber. Given that the most common education level for barbers is a post-secondary certificate, it will take a short time to learn to be a barber if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Barber
In general, barbers provide barbering services, such as cutting, trimming, and styling hair, trimming beards, or giving shaves.
Barbers clean and sterilize scissors, combs and other instruments. They also cut and trim hair in line with patrons' instructions and/or current hairstyles, using clippers, combs, hand-held blow driers, and scissors. Equally important, barbers have to question customers regarding desired services and haircut styles. They are often called upon to clean work stations and sweep floors. They are expected to drape and pin protective cloths around customers' shoulders. Finally, barbers shape and trim beards and moustaches, using scissors.
Every day, barbers are expected to be able to control objects and devices with precise control. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for barbers to order supplies. They are often called upon to keep card files on clientele, recording notes of work done, products used and fees charged after each visit. They also apply lather; and shave beards, or neck and temple hair contours, using razors. They are sometimes expected to recommend and sell lotions, tonics, or other cosmetic supplies. Somewhat less frequently, barbers are also expected to keep card files on clientele, recording notes of work done, products used and fees charged after each visit.
And finally, they sometimes have to clean work stations and sweep floors.
Like many other jobs, barbers must be reliable and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Thornton include:
- Assistant Hairstylist. Shampoo and rinse customers' hair.
- Hairdresser. Provide beauty services, such as shampooing, cutting, and styling hair, and massaging and treating scalp. May also apply makeup, dress wigs, perform hair removal, and provide nail and skin care services.
- Makeup Artist. Apply makeup to performers to reflect period, setting, and situation of their role.
- Manicurist. Clean and shape customers' fingernails and toenails. May polish or decorate nails.
- Personal Home Care Aide. Assist elderly or disabled adults with daily living activities at the person's home or in a daytime non-residential facility. Duties performed at a place of residence may include keeping house (making beds, doing laundry, washing dishes) and preparing meals. May provide meals and supervised activities at non-residential care facilities. May advise families, the elderly, and disabled on such things as nutrition, cleanliness, and household utilities.
- Skin Care Specialist. Provide skin care treatments to face and body to enhance an individual's appearance.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Barber Training
Xenon International Academy - Aurora, CO
Xenon International Academy, 2231 S Peoria, Aurora, CO 80014. Xenon International Academy is a small school located in Aurora, Colorado. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 49 students. Xenon International Academy has a one to two year program in Hair Styling/Stylist and Hair Design which graduated one student in 2008.
Emily Griffith Opportunity School - Denver, CO
Emily Griffith Opportunity School, 1250 Welton Street, Denver, CO 80204-2197. Emily Griffith Opportunity School is a small school located in Denver, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 2,148 students. Emily Griffith Opportunity School has 2 areas of study related to Barber. They are:
- Barbering/Barber, one to two year which graduated 28 students in 2008.
- Hair Styling/Stylist and Hair Design, one to two year which graduated 15 students in 2008.
Cuttin' Up Beauty Academy - Denver, CO
Cuttin' Up Beauty Academy, 8101 E Colfax Ave, Denver, CO 80220. Cuttin' Up Beauty Academy is a small school located in Denver, Colorado. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 33 students. Cuttin' Up Beauty Academy has 2 areas of study related to Barber. They are:
- Barbering/Barber, one to two year which graduated 2 students in 2008.
- Hair Styling/Stylist and Hair Design, one to two year which graduated 2 students in 2008.
Pickens Technical College - Aurora, CO
Pickens Technical College, 500 Airport Blvd, Aurora, CO 80011-9307. Pickens Technical College is a small college located in Aurora, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 1,066 students. Pickens Technical College has 2 areas of study related to Barber. They are:
- Barbering/Barber, one to two year which graduated 12 students in 2008.
- Hair Styling/Stylist and Hair Design, less than one year which graduated 15 students in 2008.
Licensing agency: Office of Barber and Cosmetology Licensure
Address: 1560 Broadway, Ste 1340, Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (303) 894-7772
Website: Office of Barber and Cosmetology Licensure
LOCATION INFORMATION: Thornton, Colorado
Thornton is located in Adams County, Colorado. It has a population of over 113,429, which has grown by 37.7% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Thornton, 94, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Thornton are priced at $176,300 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, two hundred ninety-five new homes were constructed in Thornton, down from four hundred eighty-four the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Thornton are educational services, health care, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average commute to work is about 29 minutes. More than 19.9% of Thornton residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Thornton is 6.3%, which is less than Colorado's average of 6.6%.
The percentage of Thornton residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 30.4%, is less than both the national and state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Lutheran Church.