Career and Education Opportunities for Landscape Architects in Thornton, Colorado
For those living in the Thornton, Colorado area, there are many career and education opportunities for landscape architects. Currently, 1,590 people work as landscape architects in Colorado. This is expected to grow by 23% to 1,950 people by 2016. This is better than the national trend for landscape architects, which sees this job pool growing by about 19.7% over the next eight years. Landscape architects generally plan and design land areas for such projects as parks and other recreational facilities, airports, and commercial, industrial, and residential sites.
Income for landscape architects is about $25 per hour or $52,470 yearly on average in Colorado. Nationally, their income is about $28 hourly or $58,960 per year. Incomes for landscape architects are not quite as good as in the overall category of Architecture in Colorado, and not quite as good as the overall Architecture category nationally. Landscape architects work in a variety of jobs, including: environmental designer, land planner, and golf course designer.
The Thornton area is home to fifty-nine schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Thornton where you can get a degree as a landscape architect. Given that the most common education level for landscape architects is a Bachelor's degree, it will take about four years to learn to be a landscape architect if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Landscape Architect
In general, landscape architects plan and design land areas for such projects as parks and other recreational facilities, airports, and commercial, industrial, and residential sites.
Landscape architects talk with clients and architects on overall programs. They also ready site plans and cost estimates for land development, coordinating arrangement of existing and proposed land features and structures. Equally important, landscape architects have to seek new work opportunities through marketing, writing proposals or giving presentations. They are often called upon to inspect landscape work to insure adherence to specifications, approve quality of materials and work, and advise client and construction personnel. They are expected to ready graphic representations and drawings of proposed plans and designs. Finally, landscape architects compile and analyze data on conditions such as location and location of structures for environmental reports and landscaping plans.
Every day, landscape architects are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
And finally, they sometimes have to talk with clients and architects on overall programs.
Like many other jobs, landscape architects must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Thornton include:
- Architect. Plan and design structures, such as private residences, office buildings, and other structural property.
- Civil Engineer. Perform engineering duties in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures, and facilities, such as roads, railroads, airports, bridges, harbors, channels, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, power plants, water and sewage systems, and waste disposal units. Includes architectural, structural, and geo-technical engineers.
- Health, Safety, and Environment Manager. Plan, implement, and coordinate safety programs, requiring application of engineering principles and technology, to prevent or correct unsafe environmental working conditions.
- Materials Engineer. Evaluate materials and develop machinery and processes to manufacture materials for use in products that must meet specialized design and performance specifications. Develop new uses for known materials. Includes those working with composite materials or specializing in one type of material, such as graphite, metal and metal alloys, ceramics and glass, plastics and polymers, and naturally occurring materials.
- Surveyor. Make exact measurements and determine property boundaries. Provide data relevant to the shape, contour, or dimension of land or land features on or near the earth's surface for engineering, mapmaking, and other purposes.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Landscape Architect Training
University of Colorado at Boulder - Boulder, CO
University of Colorado at Boulder, Regent Drive at Broadway, Boulder, CO 80309-0017. University of Colorado at Boulder is a large university located in Boulder, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 32,191 students and an admission rate of 78%. University of Colorado at Boulder has a bachelor's degree program in Environmental Design/Architecture which graduated 176 students in 2008.
Licensing agency: Department of Regulatory Agencies
Address: Division of Registrations, 1560 Broadway, Suite 1340, Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (303) 894-2440
Website: Department of Regulatory Agencies Division of Registrations
LOCATION INFORMATION: Thornton, Colorado
Thornton is located in Adams County, Colorado. It has a population of over 113,429, which has grown by 37.7% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Thornton, 94, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Thornton are priced at $176,300 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, two hundred ninety-five new homes were constructed in Thornton, down from four hundred eighty-four the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Thornton are educational services, health care, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average commute to work is about 29 minutes. More than 19.9% of Thornton residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Thornton is 6.3%, which is less than Colorado's average of 6.6%.
The percentage of Thornton residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 30.4%, is less than both the national and state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Lutheran Church.