Career and Education Opportunities for Industrial Psychologists in Fort Collins, Colorado
Industrial psychologists can find many career and educational opportunities in the Fort Collins, Colorado area. The national trend for industrial psychologists sees this job pool growing by about 26.3% over the next eight years. Industrial psychologists generally apply principles of psychology to personnel, administration, and marketing problems.
The average wage in the general category of Social Sciences jobs is $32 per hour or $66,734 per year in Colorado, and an average of $33 per hour or $68,239 per year nationwide. People working as industrial psychologists can fill a number of jobs, such as: consulting services director, customer leader, and organizational development specialist.
There are two schools within twenty-five miles of Fort Collins where you can study to be an industrial psychologist, among eleven schools of higher education total in the Fort Collins area. The most common level of education for industrial psychologists is a Master's degree. It will take about six years to learn to be an industrial psychologist if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years starting with a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Industrial Psychologist
In general, industrial psychologists apply principles of psychology to personnel, administration, and marketing problems. They also activities may include policy planning; employee screening, training and development; and organizational development and analysis.
Industrial psychologists write reports on research findings and implications to contribute to general knowledge and to suggest potential changes in organizational functioning. They also analyze data, using statistical methods and applications, to review the outcomes and effectiveness of workplace programs. Equally important, industrial psychologists have to identify training and development needs. They are often called upon to observe and interview staff to obtain data related to the physical and educational requirements of jobs as well as data related to aspects such as job satisfaction. They are expected to facilitate organizational development and change. Finally, industrial psychologists formulate and implement training programs, applying principles of learning and individual differences.
Every day, industrial psychologists are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they write clearly and communicate well.
It is important for industrial psychologists to assess employee performance. They are often called upon to conduct research studies of physical work environments, organizational structures, communication systems and motivation to gauge organizational functioning. They also advise management concerning personnel and marketing policies and practices and their potential effects on organizational effectiveness and efficiency. They are sometimes expected to design interview techniques and psychological tests used to gauge skills and interests for the purpose of employee selection and promotion. Somewhat less frequently, industrial psychologists are also expected to participate in mediation and dispute resolution.
They also have to be able to design and implement employee selection and placement programs and formulate and implement training programs, applying principles of learning and individual differences. And finally, they sometimes have to facilitate organizational development and change.
Like many other jobs, industrial psychologists must be able to absorb the factors involved and a problem and provide a well thought out solution and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Fort Collins include:
- Economist. Conduct research, prepare reports, or formulate plans to aid in solution of economic problems arising from production and distribution of goods and services. May collect and process economic and statistical data using econometric and sampling techniques.
- Geographic Information Systems Analyst. Study nature and use of areas of earth's surface, relating and interpreting interactions of physical and cultural phenomena. Conduct research on physical aspects of a region, including land forms, climates, soils, plants and animals, and conduct research on the spatial implications of human activities within a given area, including social characteristics, economic activities, and political organization, as well as researching interdependence between regions at scales ranging from local to global.
- Historian. Research, analyze, and interpret the past as recorded in sources, such as government and institutional records, newspapers and other periodicals, photographs, and unpublished manuscripts, such as personal diaries and letters.
- Market Research Analyst. Research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas to determine potential sales of a product or service. May gather information on competitors, prices, and methods of marketing and distribution. May use survey results to create a marketing campaign based on regional preferences and buying habits.
- Market Survey Representative. Design or conduct surveys. May supervise interviewers who conduct the survey in person or over the telephone. May present survey results to client.
- School Psychologist. Investigate processes of learning and teaching and develop psychological principles and techniques applicable to educational problems.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Industrial Psychologist Training
Colorado State University - Fort Collins, CO
Colorado State University, 102 Administration Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0100. Colorado State University is a large university located in Fort Collins, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 27,796 students and an admission rate of 86%. Colorado State University has bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree programs in Psychology which graduated 225, twenty-one, and twelve students respectively in 2008.
University of Northern Colorado - Greeley, CO
University of Northern Colorado, Carter Hall - Rm 4000, Greeley, CO 80639. University of Northern Colorado is a large university located in Greeley, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 11,925 students and an admission rate of 92%. University of Northern Colorado has a bachelor's degree program in Psychology which graduated 134 students in 2008.
Certified Professional Ergonomist: The BCPE was established to provide a formal process for recognizing practitioners of human factors/ergonomics.
For more information, see the Board of Certification in Professional Ergonomics website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Fort Collins, Colorado
Fort Collins is located in Larimer County, Colorado. It has a population of over 136,509, which has grown by 15.0% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Fort Collins, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Fort Collins are valued at $216,000 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, two hundred sixty-seven new homes were built in Fort Collins, down from four hundred eight the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Fort Collins are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is educational services, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average travel time to work is about 19 minutes. More than 48.4% of Fort Collins residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 18.4%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Fort Collins is 6.3%, which is less than Colorado's average of 6.6%.
The percentage of Fort Collins residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 39.3%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Assemblies of God and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Visitors to Fort Collins can choose from Carousel Properties, AmericInn Motel & Suites Fort Collins and Hampton Inn Ft. Collins for temporary stays in the area.