Career and Education Opportunities for Statement Clerks in Denver, Colorado
Statement clerk career and educational opportunities abound in Denver, Colorado. The national trend for statement clerks sees this job pool growing by about 15.3% over the next eight years. In general, statement clerks prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
Income for statement clerks is about $15 hourly or $32,280 per year on average in Colorado. Nationally, their income is about $14 per hour or $30,950 yearly. Earnings for statement clerks are better than earnings in the general category of Billing and Bookkeeping in Colorado and better than general Billing and Bookkeeping category earnings nationally.
There are sixty-four schools of higher education in the Denver area, including seven within twenty-five miles of Denver where you can get a degree to start your career as a statement clerk. Given that the most common education level for statement clerks is some college courses, you can expect to spend a short time studying to be a statement clerk if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Statement Clerk
In general, statement clerks prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
Every day, statement clerks are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for statement clerks to match statements with batches of canceled checks by account numbers. They are often called upon to compare previously prepared bank statements with canceled checks, and reconcile discrepancies. They also fix minor problems, such as equipment jams, and notify repair personnel of major equipment problems. They are sometimes expected to route statements for mailing or over-the-counter delivery to customers. Somewhat less frequently, statement clerks are also expected to retrieve checks returned to customers in error, adjusting customer accounts and answering inquiries about errors as needed.
They also have to be able to weigh envelopes containing statements in order to establish correct postage and affix postage using stamps or metering equipment and verify signatures and required data on checks. And finally, they sometimes have to maintain files of canceled checks and customers' signatures.
Like many other jobs, statement clerks must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Denver include:
- Accounts Receivable Specialist. Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
- Bank Teller. Receive and pay out money. Keep records of money and negotiable instruments involved in a financial institution's various transactions.
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Gaming Cashier. Conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. May reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Accept patron's credit application and verify credit references to provide check-cashing authorization or to establish house credit accounts. May sell gambling chips, tokens, or tickets to patrons, or to other workers for resale to patrons. May convert gaming chips, tokens, or tickets to currency upon patron's request. May use a cash register or computer to record transaction.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Statement Clerk Training
Front Range Community College - Westminster, CO
Front Range Community College, 3645 W 112th Ave, Westminster, CO 80031. Front Range Community College is a large college located in Westminster, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 15,480 students. Front Range Community College has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated sixteen and forty-four students respectively in 2008.
Red Rocks Community College - Lakewood, CO
Red Rocks Community College, 13300 W Sixth Ave, Lakewood, CO 80228-1255. Red Rocks Community College is a medium sized college located in Lakewood, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,432 students. Red Rocks Community College has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated three and four students respectively in 2008.
Community College of Aurora - Aurora, CO
Community College of Aurora, 16000 E CentreTech Pky, Aurora, CO 80011-9036. Community College of Aurora is a medium sized college located in Aurora, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,217 students. Community College of Aurora has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated ten students in 2008.
Arapahoe Community College - Littleton, CO
Arapahoe Community College, 5900 S. Santa Fe Dr., Littleton, CO 80160-9002. Arapahoe Community College is a medium sized college located in Littleton, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,088 students. Arapahoe Community College has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated eight students in 2008.
Argosy University-Denver - Denver, CO
Argosy University-Denver, 1200 Lincoln St., Denver, CO 80203. Argosy University-Denver is a small university located in Denver, Colorado. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 259 students and an admission rate of 56%. Argosy University-Denver has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
Emily Griffith Opportunity School - Denver, CO
Emily Griffith Opportunity School, 1250 Welton Street, Denver, CO 80204-2197. Emily Griffith Opportunity School is a small school located in Denver, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 2,148 students. Emily Griffith Opportunity School has a less than one year and a one to two year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated zero and five students respectively in 2008.
Community College of Denver - Denver, CO
Community College of Denver, 1111 W. Colfax Ave., Denver, CO 80204-2026. Community College of Denver is a medium sized college located in Denver, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,006 students. Community College of Denver has less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree programs in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated two, one, and one students respectively in 2008.
Certified Medical Coder: Experienced medical office professionals with exceptional coding skills are eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Coder (CMC) exam.
For more information, see the Practice Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Denver, Colorado
Denver is located in Denver County, Colorado. It has a population of over 598,707, which has grown by 7.9% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Denver, 102, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Denver are priced at $223,800 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, eight hundred thirty-seven new homes were constructed in Denver, down from 1,215 the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Denver are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 25 minutes. More than 34.5% of Denver residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 12.4%, is higher than the state average.
The percentage of Denver residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 53.0%, is more than both the national and state average. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the American Baptist Churches in the USA and the Episcopal Church.
Denver is home to the J F Kennedy Municipal Golf Course and the North Marston Filtration Plant as well as Cheesman Park and Bear Creek Park. Shopping malls in the area include Alameda Square Shopping Center, Boulevard Shopping Center and Brentwood Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Denver can choose from Embassy Suites Hotel Denver Downtown, Intown Suites Aurora and Denver Marriott City Center for temporary stays in the area.