Career and Education Opportunities for Boat Mechanics in Denver, Colorado
Denver, Colorado provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for boat mechanics. About 130 people are currently employed as boat mechanics in Colorado. By 2016, this is expected to grow 28% to 160 people employed. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for boat mechanics are expected to grow by about 5.6%. Boat mechanics generally repairs and adjusts electrical and mechanical equipment of gasoline or diesel powered inboard or inboard-outboard boat engines.
Boat mechanics earn approximately $14 hourly or $29,150 annually on average in Colorado. Nationally they average about $16 hourly or $34,520 yearly. Compared with people working in the overall category of Specialized Equipment, people working as boat mechanics in Colorado earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Specialized Equipment nationally.
The Denver area is home to sixty-four schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Denver where you can get a degree as a boat mechanic. Boat mechanics usually hold a post-secondary certificate, so you can expect to spend a short time studying to be a boat mechanic if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Boat Mechanic
In general, boat mechanics repairs and adjusts electrical and mechanical equipment of gasoline or diesel powered inboard or inboard-outboard boat engines.
Boat mechanics disassemble and inspect motors to identify faulty parts, using mechanic's hand tools and gauges. They also examine and repair or adjust propellers and propeller shafts. Equally important, boat mechanics have to idle motors and observe thermometers to establish the effectiveness of cooling systems. They are often called upon to document inspection and test results, and work performed or to be performed. They are expected to mount motors to boats and operate boats at various speeds on waterways to conduct operational tests. Finally, boat mechanics repair or rework parts, using machine tools such as lathes and grinders.
Every day, boat mechanics are expected to be able to evaluate problems as they arise. They need to control objects and devices with precise control. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for boat mechanics to adjust generators and remove faulty wiring, using hand tools and soldering irons. Somewhat less frequently, boat mechanics are also expected to start motors, and monitor performance for signs of malfunctioning such as smoke and misfiring.
And finally, they sometimes have to disassemble and inspect motors to identify faulty parts, using mechanic's hand tools and gauges.
Like many other jobs, boat mechanics must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Denver include:
- Bus or Truck Garage Mechanic. Diagnose, adjust, or overhaul trucks, buses, and all types of diesel engines. Includes mechanics working primarily with automobile diesel engines.
- Camera Repair Technician. Repair and adjust cameras and photographic equipment, including commercial video and motion picture camera equipment.
- Heating Equipment Installer. Install, service, and repair heating and air conditioning systems in residences and commercial establishments.
- Medical Equipment Repairer. Test, adjust, or repair biomedical or electromedical equipment.
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanic. Diagnose, adjust, or overhaul mobile mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment, such as cranes, bulldozers, and conveyors, used in construction, logging, and surface mining.
- Outdoor Power Equipment Mechanic. Diagnose, adjust, or overhaul small engines used to power lawn mowers, chain saws, and related equipment.
- Refrigeration Mechanic. Install and repair industrial and commercial refrigerating systems.
- Rigger. Set up or repair rigging for construction projects, manufacturing plants, logging yards, ships and shipyards, or for the entertainment industry.
- Signal and Track Switch Repairer. Install, inspect, or repair electric gate crossings, signals, or intercommunications systems within a railroad system.
- Vending Machine Mechanic. Install, service, or repair coin, vending, or amusement machines including video games, juke boxes, or slot machines.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Boat Mechanic Training
Pickens Technical College - Aurora, CO
Pickens Technical College, 500 Airport Blvd, Aurora, CO 80011-9307. Pickens Technical College is a small college located in Aurora, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 1,066 students. Pickens Technical College has a less than one year and a one to two year program in Small Engine Mechanics and Repair Technology/Technician which graduated six and thirteen students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Denver, Colorado
Denver is located in Denver County, Colorado. It has a population of over 598,707, which has grown by 7.9% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Denver, 102, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Denver are priced at $223,800 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, eight hundred thirty-seven new homes were constructed in Denver, down from 1,215 the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Denver are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 25 minutes. More than 34.5% of Denver residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 12.4%, is higher than the state average.
The percentage of Denver residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 53.0%, is more than both the national and state average. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the American Baptist Churches in the USA and the Episcopal Church.
Denver is home to the J F Kennedy Municipal Golf Course and the North Marston Filtration Plant as well as Cheesman Park and Bear Creek Park. Shopping malls in the area include Alameda Square Shopping Center, Boulevard Shopping Center and Brentwood Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Denver can choose from Embassy Suites Hotel Denver Downtown, Intown Suites Aurora and Denver Marriott City Center for temporary stays in the area.