Career and Education Opportunities for Boat Mechanics in Aurora, Colorado
Boat mechanic career and educational opportunities abound in Aurora, Colorado. About 130 people are currently employed as boat mechanics in Colorado. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 28% to about 160 people employed. This is better than the national trend for boat mechanics, which sees this job pool growing by about 5.6% over the next eight years. Boat mechanics generally repairs and adjusts electrical and mechanical equipment of gasoline or diesel powered inboard or inboard-outboard boat engines.
Income for boat mechanics is about $14 per hour or $29,150 yearly on average in Colorado. Nationally, their income is about $16 hourly or $34,520 annually. Incomes for boat mechanics are not quite as good as in the overall category of Specialized Equipment in Colorado, and not quite as good as the overall Specialized Equipment category nationally.
There are sixty-two schools of higher education in the Aurora area, including one within twenty-five miles of Aurora where you can get a degree to start your career as a boat mechanic. Boat mechanics usually hold a post-secondary certificate, so it will take a short time to learn to be a boat mechanic if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Boat Mechanic
In general, boat mechanics repairs and adjusts electrical and mechanical equipment of gasoline or diesel powered inboard or inboard-outboard boat engines.
Boat mechanics disassemble and inspect motors to identify faulty parts, using mechanic's hand tools and gauges. They also examine and repair or adjust propellers and propeller shafts. Equally important, boat mechanics have to idle motors and observe thermometers to establish the effectiveness of cooling systems. They are often called upon to document inspection and test results, and work performed or to be performed. They are expected to mount motors to boats and operate boats at various speeds on waterways to conduct operational tests. Finally, boat mechanics repair or rework parts, using machine tools such as lathes and grinders.
Every day, boat mechanics are expected to be able to evaluate problems as they arise. They need to control objects and devices with precise control. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for boat mechanics to adjust generators and remove faulty wiring, using hand tools and soldering irons. Somewhat less frequently, boat mechanics are also expected to start motors, and monitor performance for signs of malfunctioning such as smoke and misfiring.
And finally, they sometimes have to disassemble and inspect motors to identify faulty parts, using mechanic's hand tools and gauges.
Like many other jobs, boat mechanics must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Aurora include:
- Bus or Truck Garage Mechanic. Diagnose, adjust, or overhaul trucks, buses, and all types of diesel engines. Includes mechanics working primarily with automobile diesel engines.
- Camera Repair Technician. Repair and adjust cameras and photographic equipment, including commercial video and motion picture camera equipment.
- Heating Equipment Installer. Install, service, and repair heating and air conditioning systems in residences and commercial establishments.
- Medical Equipment Repairer. Test, adjust, or repair biomedical or electromedical equipment.
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanic. Diagnose, adjust, or overhaul mobile mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment, such as cranes, bulldozers, and conveyors, used in construction, logging, and surface mining.
- Outdoor Power Equipment Mechanic. Diagnose, adjust, or overhaul small engines used to power lawn mowers, chain saws, and related equipment.
- Refrigeration Mechanic. Install and repair industrial and commercial refrigerating systems.
- Rigger. Set up or repair rigging for construction projects, manufacturing plants, logging yards, ships and shipyards, or for the entertainment industry.
- Signal and Track Switch Repairer. Install, inspect, or repair electric gate crossings, signals, or intercommunications systems within a railroad system.
- Vending Machine Mechanic. Install, service, or repair coin, vending, or amusement machines including video games, juke boxes, or slot machines.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Boat Mechanic Training
Pickens Technical College - Aurora, CO
Pickens Technical College, 500 Airport Blvd, Aurora, CO 80011-9307. Pickens Technical College is a small college located in Aurora, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 1,066 students. Pickens Technical College has a less than one year and a one to two year program in Small Engine Mechanics and Repair Technology/Technician which graduated six and thirteen students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Aurora, Colorado
Aurora is located in Adams County, Colorado. It has a population of over 319,057, which has grown by 15.4% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Aurora, 97, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Aurora are priced at $238,200 on average, which is above the state average. In 2008, five hundred ten new homes were built in Aurora, down from 1,202 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Aurora are health care, finance and insurance, and educational services. For men, it is construction, accommodation and food services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 27 minutes. More than 24.6% of Aurora residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Aurora is 8.2%, which is greater than Colorado's average of 6.6%.
The percentage of Aurora residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 30.4%, is less than both the national and state average. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Lutheran Church.
Aurora is home to the Victory Grange and the Magee as well as Montview Park and Del Mar Park. Visitors to Aurora can choose from Corporate Housing Solutions, Comfort Inn-Airport and Denver Airport Marriott at Gateway Park for temporary stays in the area.