Career and Education Opportunities for English Professors in Arvada, Colorado
If you want to be an english professor, the Arvada, Colorado area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. English professors generally teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $18 per hour or $60,348 per year in Colorado, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Compared with people working in the overall category of Postsecondary Education, people working as english professors in Colorado earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Postsecondary Education nationally. English professors work in a variety of jobs, including: faculty member, composition teacher, and department chair.
The Arvada area is home to sixty schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of Arvada where you can get a degree as an english professor. English professors usually hold a Master's degree, so you can expect to spend about six years studying to be an english professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years starting with a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: English Professor
In general, english professors teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
English professors initiate and moderate classroom discussions. They also evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. Equally important, english professors have to ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. They are often called upon to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They are expected to maintain student attendance records and other required records. Finally, english professors ready and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as poetry and translation and adaptation.
Every day, english professors are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to write clearly and communicate well. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for english professors to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments. They are often called upon to decide on and obtain materials and supplies such as textbooks. They also participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are sometimes expected to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. Somewhat less frequently, english professors are also expected to serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues.
English professors sometimes are asked to maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students. They also have to be able to perform administrative duties such as serving as department head and participate in campus and community events. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish assistance to students in college writing centers.
Like many other jobs, english professors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Arvada include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- Elementary School Teacher. Teach pupils in public or private schools at the elementary level basic academic, social, and other formative skills.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Instructional Systems Specialist. Develop instructional material, coordinate educational content, and incorporate current technology in specialized fields that provide guidelines to educators and instructors for developing curricula and conducting courses.
- Kindergarten Teacher. Teach elemental natural and social science, personal hygiene, and literature to children from 4 to 6 years old. Promote physical, mental, and social development. May be required to hold State certification.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: English Professor Training
Regis University - Denver, CO
Regis University, 3333 Regis Blvd, Denver, CO 80221-1099. Regis University is a large university located in Denver, Colorado. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 11,238 students and an admission rate of 44%. Regis University has a bachelor's degree program in English Language and Literature which graduated twelve students in 2008.
Teikyo Loretto Heights University - Denver, CO
Teikyo Loretto Heights University, 3001 S Federal Blvd, Denver, CO 80236-2711. Teikyo Loretto Heights University is a small university located in Denver, Colorado. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 403 students and an admission rate of 100%. Teikyo Loretto Heights University has a one to two year program in English Language and Literature/Letters, Other Specialties which graduated 206 students in 2008.
Colorado Christian University - Lakewood, CO
Colorado Christian University, 8787 West Alameda Avenue, Lakewood, CO 80226. Colorado Christian University is a small university located in Lakewood, Colorado. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,583 students and an admission rate of 32%. Colorado Christian University has a bachelor's degree program in English Language and Literature which graduated nine students in 2008.
University of Colorado at Boulder - Boulder, CO
University of Colorado at Boulder, Regent Drive at Broadway, Boulder, CO 80309-0017. University of Colorado at Boulder is a large university located in Boulder, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 32,191 students and an admission rate of 78%. University of Colorado at Boulder has 3 areas of study related to English Professor. They are:
- Comparative Literature, master's degree and doctor's degree which graduated four and three students respectively in 2008.
- English Language and Literature, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated 231, seventeen, and five students respectively in 2008.
- Creative Writing, master's degree which graduated 10 students in 2008.
Naropa University - Boulder, CO
Naropa University, 2130 Arapahoe Ave, Boulder, CO 80302-6697. Naropa University is a small university located in Boulder, Colorado. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,075 students and an admission rate of 57%. Naropa University has 2 areas of study related to English Professor. They are:
- English Language and Literature, bachelor's degree which graduated 17 students in 2008.
- Creative Writing, master's degree which graduated 28 students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Arvada, Colorado
Arvada is situated in Jefferson County, Colorado. It has a population of over 107,361, which has grown by 5.1% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Arvada, 96, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Arvada are priced at $252,600 on average, which is above the state average. In 2008, one hundred nineteen new homes were constructed in Arvada, down from one hundred thirty-seven the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Arvada are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 26 minutes. More than 29.0% of Arvada residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.5%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Arvada is 7.3%, which is greater than Colorado's average of 6.6%.
The percentage of Arvada residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 35.5%, is less than both the national and state average. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Charismatic Churches Independent and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Arvada is home to the Arvada Filtration Plant and the Arvada Plaza as well as McLlvoy Park and Ralston Valley Park. Shopping centers in the area include Arvada Square Shopping Center and North Park Shopping Center.