Career and Education Opportunities for Communication Professors in Arvada, Colorado
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for communication professors in the Arvada, Colorado area. In general, communication professors teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $18 per hour or $60,348 per year in Colorado, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Earnings for communication professors are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Postsecondary Education in Colorado and not quite as good as general Postsecondary Education category earnings nationally. People working as communication professors can fill a number of jobs, such as: journalism instructor, communication arts lecturer, and instructor.
The Arvada area is home to sixty schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of Arvada where you can get a degree as a communication professor. The most common level of education for communication professors is a Master's degree. You can expect to spend about six years studying to be a communication professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years starting with a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Communication Professor
In general, communication professors teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
Communication professors evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. They also ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. Equally important, communication professors have to keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They are often called upon to maintain student attendance records and other required records. They are expected to compile and grade examinations, or assign this work to others. Finally, communication professors compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
Every day, communication professors are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for communication professors to participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are often called upon to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. They also act as advisers to student organizations. They are sometimes expected to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. Somewhat less frequently, communication professors are also expected to perform administrative duties such as serving as department head.
Communication professors sometimes are asked to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They also have to be able to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments and participate in campus and community events. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry.
Like many other jobs, communication professors must be reliable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Arvada include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Communication Professor Training
Johnson & Wales University-Denver - Denver, CO
Johnson & Wales University-Denver, 7150 Montview Blvd, Denver, CO 80220. Johnson & Wales University-Denver is a small university located in Denver, Colorado. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,454 students and an admission rate of 76%. Johnson & Wales University-Denver has an associate's degree program in Advertising which graduated thirteen students in 2008.
The Art Institute of Colorado - Denver, CO
The Art Institute of Colorado, 1200 Lincoln Street, Denver, CO 80203-2983. The Art Institute of Colorado is a small school located in Denver, Colorado. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,069 students and an admission rate of 45%. The Art Institute of Colorado has a bachelor's degree program in Advertising which graduated six students in 2008.
Colorado Christian University - Lakewood, CO
Colorado Christian University, 8787 West Alameda Avenue, Lakewood, CO 80226. Colorado Christian University is a small university located in Lakewood, Colorado. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,583 students and an admission rate of 32%. Colorado Christian University has a bachelor's degree program in Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric which graduated nine students in 2008.
University of Colorado at Boulder - Boulder, CO
University of Colorado at Boulder, Regent Drive at Broadway, Boulder, CO 80309-0017. University of Colorado at Boulder is a large university located in Boulder, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 32,191 students and an admission rate of 78%. University of Colorado at Boulder has 2 areas of study related to Communication Professor. They are:
- Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated 213, eight, and thirteen students respectively in 2008.
- Journalism, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated 246 and twenty-eight students respectively in 2008.
Regis University - Denver, CO
Regis University, 3333 Regis Blvd, Denver, CO 80221-1099. Regis University is a large university located in Denver, Colorado. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 11,238 students and an admission rate of 44%. Regis University has a bachelor's degree program in Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric which graduated fifty-one students in 2008.
Accreditation in Public Relations: APR certification proves you have successfully demonstrated competency in the knowledge, skills and abilities required to practice public relations effectively in today's business arena.
For more information, see the Public Relations Society of America website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Arvada, Colorado
Arvada is situated in Jefferson County, Colorado. It has a population of over 107,361, which has grown by 5.1% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Arvada, 96, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Arvada are priced at $252,600 on average, which is above the state average. In 2008, one hundred nineteen new homes were constructed in Arvada, down from one hundred thirty-seven the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Arvada are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 26 minutes. More than 29.0% of Arvada residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.5%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Arvada is 7.3%, which is greater than Colorado's average of 6.6%.
The percentage of Arvada residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 35.5%, is less than both the national and state average. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Charismatic Churches Independent and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Arvada is home to the Arvada Filtration Plant and the Arvada Plaza as well as McLlvoy Park and Ralston Valley Park. Shopping centers in the area include Arvada Square Shopping Center and North Park Shopping Center.