Career and Education Opportunities for Directors in Arvada, Colorado
Director career and educational opportunities abound in Arvada, Colorado. There are currently 1,700 working directors in Colorado; this should grow by 18% to 2,010 working directors in the state by 2016. This is better than the national trend for directors, which sees this job pool growing by about 9.8% over the next eight years. In general, directors interpret script, conduct rehearsals, and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, or radio programs.
Directors earn approximately $23 per hour or $49,080 annually on average in Colorado. Nationally they average about $30 per hour or $64,430 per year. Directors earn the same as people working in the category of Theater, Film, and Television generally in Colorado and the same as people in the Theater, Film, and Television category nationally. Directors work in a variety of jobs, including: music video director, dramatic coach, and news production supervisor.
There are sixty schools of higher education in the Arvada area, including six within twenty-five miles of Arvada where you can get a degree to start your career as a director. Directors usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so it will take about four years to learn to be a director if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Director
In general, directors interpret script, conduct rehearsals, and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, or radio programs.
Directors supervise and direct the work of camera and sound crewmembers. They also formulate details such as framing and actor movement for each shot or scene. Finally, directors talk with technical directors and writers to consider specifics of production, such as photography and costumes.
Every day, directors are expected to be able to be creative and generate new ideas. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for directors to cut and edit film or tape to integrate component parts into desired sequences. They are often called upon to study and research scripts to establish how they should be directed. They also direct live broadcasts, films and recordings, or non-broadcast programming for public entertainment or education. They are sometimes expected to identify and approve equipment and elements required for productions, such as scenery and music. Somewhat less frequently, directors are also expected to hold auditions for parts or negotiate contracts with actors determined suitable for specific roles, working in conjunction with producers.
Directors sometimes are asked to collaborate with film and sound editors during the post-production process as films are edited and soundtracks are added. They also have to be able to compile scripts and other material pertaining to productions and decide on plays or scripts for production, and decide on how material should be interpreted and performed. And finally, they sometimes have to decide on plays or scripts for production, and decide on how material should be interpreted and performed.
Like many other jobs, directors must be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Arvada include:
- Actor. Play parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions for entertainment, information, or instruction. Interpret serious or comic role by speech, gesture, and body movement to entertain or inform audience. May dance and sing.
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Artistic Director. Audition and interview performers to select most appropriate talent for parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions.
- Camera Operator. Operate television, video, or motion picture camera to photograph images or scenes for various purposes, such as TV broadcasts, advertising, or motion pictures.
- Choreographer. Create and teach dance. May direct and stage presentations.
- Film or Videotape Editor. Edit motion picture soundtracks, film, and video.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Musician. Play one or more musical instruments in recital, in accompaniment, or as members of an orchestra, band, or other musical group.
- Producer. Plan and coordinate various aspects of radio, television, or motion picture production, such as selecting script, coordinating writing, directing and editing, and arranging financing.
- Program Director. Direct and coordinate activities of personnel engaged in preparation of radio or television station program schedules and programs.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
- Technical Director. Coordinate activities of technical departments, such as taping, editing, and maintenance, to produce radio or television programs.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Director Training
Naropa University - Boulder, CO
Naropa University, 2130 Arapahoe Ave, Boulder, CO 80302-6697. Naropa University is a small university located in Boulder, Colorado. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,075 students and an admission rate of 57%. Naropa University has a master's degree program in Dramatic/Theatre Arts and Stagecraft, Other Specialties which graduated twenty-one students in 2008.
Colorado Christian University - Lakewood, CO
Colorado Christian University, 8787 West Alameda Avenue, Lakewood, CO 80226. Colorado Christian University is a small university located in Lakewood, Colorado. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 2,583 students and an admission rate of 32%. Colorado Christian University has a bachelor's degree program in Drama and Dramatics/Theatre Arts which graduated one student in 2008.
The Art Institute of Colorado - Denver, CO
The Art Institute of Colorado, 1200 Lincoln Street, Denver, CO 80203-2983. The Art Institute of Colorado is a small school located in Denver, Colorado. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,069 students and an admission rate of 45%. The Art Institute of Colorado has an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree program in Cinematography and Film/Video Production which graduated fourteen and twenty students respectively in 2008.
Community College of Aurora - Aurora, CO
Community College of Aurora, 16000 E CentreTech Pky, Aurora, CO 80011-9036. Community College of Aurora is a medium sized college located in Aurora, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 5,217 students. Community College of Aurora has a one to two year and an associate's degree program in Cinematography and Film/Video Production which graduated four and six students respectively in 2008.
University of Colorado at Boulder - Boulder, CO
University of Colorado at Boulder, Regent Drive at Broadway, Boulder, CO 80309-0017. University of Colorado at Boulder is a large university located in Boulder, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 32,191 students and an admission rate of 78%. University of Colorado at Boulder has 2 areas of study related to Director. They are:
- Drama and Dramatics/Theatre Arts, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated thirty-one, three, and four students respectively in 2008.
- Film/Cinema Studies, bachelor's degree which graduated 90 students in 2008.
Red Rocks Community College - Lakewood, CO
Red Rocks Community College, 13300 W Sixth Ave, Lakewood, CO 80228-1255. Red Rocks Community College is a medium sized college located in Lakewood, Colorado. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,432 students. Red Rocks Community College has less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree programs in Cinematography and Film/Video Production which graduated seven, seven, and eight students respectively in 2008.
Program Management Professional: Project Management Institute's newest credential is specifically developed to acknowledge the qualifications of the professional who leads the coordinated management of multiple projects and ensures the ultimate success of a program.
For more information, see the Project Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Arvada, Colorado
Arvada is situated in Jefferson County, Colorado. It has a population of over 107,361, which has grown by 5.1% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Arvada, 96, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Arvada are priced at $252,600 on average, which is above the state average. In 2008, one hundred nineteen new homes were constructed in Arvada, down from one hundred thirty-seven the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Arvada are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 26 minutes. More than 29.0% of Arvada residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.5%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Arvada is 7.3%, which is greater than Colorado's average of 6.6%.
The percentage of Arvada residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 35.5%, is less than both the national and state average. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Charismatic Churches Independent and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Arvada is home to the Arvada Filtration Plant and the Arvada Plaza as well as McLlvoy Park and Ralston Valley Park. Shopping centers in the area include Arvada Square Shopping Center and North Park Shopping Center.