Career and Education Opportunities for Craftsmen in Arvada, Colorado
Craftsmen can find many career and educational opportunities in the Arvada, Colorado area. There are currently 550 jobs for craftsmen in Colorado and this is projected to grow 29% to 720 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for craftsmen are expected to grow by about 7.2%. In general, craftsmen create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
Craftsmen earn about $13 hourly or $28,120 per year on average in Colorado and about $13 hourly or $29,080 per year on average nationally. Earnings for craftsmen are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Art and Design in Colorado and not quite as good as general Art and Design category earnings nationally. Craftsmen work in a variety of jobs, including: copyist, art objects repairer, and ivory carver.
The Arvada area is home to sixty schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of Arvada where you can get a degree as a craftsman. The most common level of education for craftsmen is a high school diploma or GED. It will take only a short time to learn to be a craftsman if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Craftsman
In general, craftsmen create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
Craftsmen develop functional or decorative objects by hand, using a variety of methods and materials. They also design product packaging, display and pricing strategies. Equally important, craftsmen have to attend craft shows to market products. They are often called upon to advertise products and work, using media such as internet advertising and brochures. They are expected to design creative concepts for craft objects. Finally, craftsmen fabricate patterns or templates to guide craft production.
Every day, craftsmen are expected to be able to control and manipulate objects at a fine level of detail. They need to control objects and devices with precise control. It is also important that they move quickly in order to hold onto or control objects and devices.
It is important for craftsmen to apply finishes to objects being crafted. They are often called upon to design designs using specialized computer software. Somewhat less frequently, craftsmen are also expected to research craft trends and customer buying patterns so as to inspire designs and marketing strategies.
Craftsmen sometimes are asked to develop prototypes or models of objects to be crafted. And finally, they sometimes have to talk with customers to gauge customer needs or obtain feedback.
Like many other jobs, craftsmen must be thorough and dependable and believe in innovation and creative thought.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Arvada include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Florist. Design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Craftsman Training
Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design - Denver, CO
Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design, 1600 Pierce St, Denver, CO 80214. Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design is a small college located in Denver, Colorado. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 573 students and an admission rate of 99%. Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design has 2 areas of study related to Craftsman. They are:
- Painting, bachelor's degree which graduated 12 students in 2008.
- Sculpture, bachelor's degree which graduated 5 students in 2008.
Naropa University - Boulder, CO
Naropa University, 2130 Arapahoe Ave, Boulder, CO 80302-6697. Naropa University is a small university located in Boulder, Colorado. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,075 students and an admission rate of 57%. Naropa University has a bachelor's degree program in Visual and Performing Arts which graduated two students in 2008.
Certified Decorative Artist: The Certified Decorative Artist applicant must pay the required fees and submit one piece of work for judging.
For more information, see the Society of Decorative Painters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Arvada, Colorado
Arvada is situated in Jefferson County, Colorado. It has a population of over 107,361, which has grown by 5.1% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Arvada, 96, is near the national average. New single-family homes in Arvada are priced at $252,600 on average, which is above the state average. In 2008, one hundred nineteen new homes were constructed in Arvada, down from one hundred thirty-seven the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Arvada are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 26 minutes. More than 29.0% of Arvada residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.5%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Arvada is 7.3%, which is greater than Colorado's average of 6.6%.
The percentage of Arvada residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 35.5%, is less than both the national and state average. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Charismatic Churches Independent and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Arvada is home to the Arvada Filtration Plant and the Arvada Plaza as well as McLlvoy Park and Ralston Valley Park. Shopping centers in the area include Arvada Square Shopping Center and North Park Shopping Center.