Career and Education Opportunities for Cashiers in Visalia, California
Visalia, California provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for cashiers. The national trend for cashiers sees this job pool growing by about 3.5% over the next eight years. In general, cashiers receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions.
A person working as a cashier can expect to earn about $9 hourly or $19,540 yearly on average in California and about $8 hourly or $17,660 per year on average in the U.S. as a whole. Incomes for cashiers are not quite as good as in the overall category of Sales and Clerical in California, and not quite as good as the overall Sales and Clerical category nationally.
There are fifteen schools of higher education in the Visalia area, including two within twenty-five miles of Visalia where you can get a degree to start your career as a cashier. Cashiers usually hold less than a high school diploma, so you can expect to spend only a short time training to become a cashier if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Cashier
In general, cashiers receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. They also usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment.
Cashiers issue receipts or change due to clients. They also maintain clean and orderly checkout areas. Equally important, cashiers have to establish or identify prices of goods, services or admission, and tabulate bills using calculators or optical price scanners. They are often called upon to receive payment by cash or automatic debits. They are expected to answer clients' questions, and furnish data on procedures or policies. Finally, cashiers count money in cash drawers at the beginning of shifts to insure that amounts are correct and that there is adequate change.
Every day, cashiers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they understand what others are saying to them even in a noisy environment.
It is important for cashiers to cash checks for clients. They are often called upon to issue trading stamps, and redeem food stamps and coupons. They also compile and maintain non-monetary reports and records. They are sometimes expected to sell tickets and other items to clients. Somewhat less frequently, cashiers are also expected to compute and record totals of transactions.
Cashiers sometimes are asked to monitor checkout stations to insure that they have adequate cash available and that they are staffed appropriately. They also have to be able to post charges against guests' or patients' accounts and offer clients carry-out service at the close transactions. And finally, they sometimes have to compile and maintain non-monetary reports and records.
Like many other jobs, cashiers must have exceptional integrity and believe in cooperation and coordination.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Visalia include:
- Advertising Agent. Sell or solicit advertising, including graphic art, advertising space in publications, custom made signs, or TV and radio advertising time. May obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailer to use sales promotion display items.
- Cage Cashier. Exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. May issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine. May operate a booth in the slot machine area and furnish change persons with money bank at the start of the shift, or count and audit money in drawers.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Rental Counter Clerk. Receive orders for repairs, rentals, and services. May describe available options, compute cost, and accept payment.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Telemarketer. Solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Cashier Training
Proteus - Visalia, CA
Proteus, 1830 N Dinuba Blvd, Visalia, CA 93291-3014. Proteus is a small school located in Visalia, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 44 students. Proteus has a less than one year program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated fifteen students in 2008.
Fresno City College - Fresno, CA
Fresno City College, 1101 E. University Ave, Fresno, CA 93741. Fresno City College is a large college located in Fresno, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 23,063 students. Fresno City College has less than one year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated two, zero, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Hospitality Skills Certification for Retail Cashier: Skill and knowledge training is the responsibility of property management and the participant.
For more information, see the Educational Institute of the American Hotel and Lodging Association website.
National Professional Certification in Sales: The Certification was designed to capture the core Sales duties for a broad range of entry-level through first-line supervisory positions across the sales and service industries.
For more information, see the National Retail Federation Foundation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Visalia, California
Visalia is situated in Tulare County, California. It has a population of over 121,040, which has grown by 32.2% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Visalia, 87, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Visalia are valued at $200,400 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, five hundred seventy-four new homes were constructed in Visalia, down from nine hundred twenty-seven the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Visalia are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is public administration, construction, and educational services. The average travel time to work is about 19 minutes. More than 18.9% of Visalia residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.3%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Visalia is 10.0%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Visalia residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 51.8%, is more than both the national and state average. Parkside Chapel Christian and Missionary Alliance Church, Grace Lutheran Church and Holy Family Roman Catholic Church are some of the churches located in Visalia. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Assemblies of God and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Visalia is home to the Tulare County Juvenile Hall and the Visalia Community Center as well as Pinkham Park and Lincoln Park. Shopping centers in the area include Fairway Shopping Center, Visalia Mall Shopping Center and Towne and Country Village Shopping Center. Visitors to Visalia can choose from Best Western Visalia Inn and Blacklakecondo for temporary stays in the area.