Career and Education Opportunities for Legislators in Visalia, California
Legislator career and educational opportunities abound in Visalia, California. Currently, 2,800 people work as legislators in California. This is expected to grow by 11% to about 3,100 people by 2016. This is better than the national trend for legislators, which sees this job pool growing by about 0.7% over the next eight years. Legislators generally develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
The average wage in the general category of Specialized Management jobs is $43 per hour or $86,068 per year in California, and an average of $39 per hour or $74,363 per year nationwide. Compared with people working in the overall category of Specialized Management, people working as legislators in California earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Specialized Management nationally. People working as legislators can fill a number of jobs, such as: congressional representative, assembly member, and council member.
The Visalia area is home to fifteen schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of Visalia where you can get a degree as a legislator.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legislator
In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Visalia include:
- Construction Foreman. Plan, direct, or budget, usually through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. Participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, and implementation.
- Garden Center Manager. Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, and harvesting horticultural specialties, such as trees, shrubs, and other plants.
- Natural Resources Specialist. Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as life sciences, physical sciences, and research and development in these fields.
- Property Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate selling, buying, or governance activities of commercial, industrial, or residential real estate properties.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legislator Training
Porterville College - Porterville, CA
Porterville College, 100 E College Ave, Porterville, CA 93257. Porterville College is a small college located in Porterville, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 4,401 students. Porterville College has a two to four year program in Public Administration and Social Service Professions, Other Specialties.
California State University-Fresno - Fresno, CA
California State University-Fresno, 5241 N Maple Ave, Fresno, CA 93740. California State University-Fresno is a large university located in Fresno, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 22,613 students and an admission rate of 69%. California State University-Fresno has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree program in Public Administration which graduated six and eighteen students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Visalia, California
Visalia is situated in Tulare County, California. It has a population of over 121,040, which has grown by 32.2% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Visalia, 87, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Visalia are valued at $200,400 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, five hundred seventy-four new homes were constructed in Visalia, down from nine hundred twenty-seven the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Visalia are educational services, health care, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is public administration, construction, and educational services. The average travel time to work is about 19 minutes. More than 18.9% of Visalia residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.3%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Visalia is 10.0%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Visalia residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 51.8%, is more than both the national and state average. Parkside Chapel Christian and Missionary Alliance Church, Grace Lutheran Church and Holy Family Roman Catholic Church are some of the churches located in Visalia. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Assemblies of God and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Visalia is home to the Tulare County Juvenile Hall and the Visalia Community Center as well as Pinkham Park and Lincoln Park. Shopping centers in the area include Fairway Shopping Center, Visalia Mall Shopping Center and Towne and Country Village Shopping Center. Visitors to Visalia can choose from Best Western Visalia Inn and Blacklakecondo for temporary stays in the area.