Career and Education Opportunities for Cage Cashiers in Victorville, California
There are many career and education opportunities for cage cashiers in the Victorville, California area. There are currently 3,000 jobs for cage cashiers in California and this is projected to grow 3% to 3,100 jobs by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for cage cashiers are expected to shrink by about 10.4%. Cage cashiers generally exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money.
The income of a cage cashier is about $10 hourly or $22,370 annually on average in California. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $10 hourly or $21,980 annually on average. Earnings for cage cashiers are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Sales and Clerical in California and not quite as good as general Sales and Clerical category earnings nationally.
The Victorville area is home to twenty-four schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Victorville where you can get a degree as a cage cashier. Cage cashiers usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a cage cashier if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Cage Cashier
In general, cage cashiers exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. They also may issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine.
Cage cashiers count money and audit money drawers. Finally, cage cashiers exchange money and casino chips, and make change for clients.
Every day, cage cashiers are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to see details at a very fine level of focus. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for cage cashiers to keep accurate records of monetary exchanges and transaction reconciliations. They are often called upon to work in and monitor an assigned area on the casino floor where slot machines are located. They also listen for jackpot alarm bells and issue payoffs to winners. They are sometimes expected to exchange money and casino chips, and make change for clients. Somewhat less frequently, cage cashiers are also expected to furnish change persons with a money bank at the start of each shift.
They also have to be able to calculate the value of chips won or lost by players And finally, they sometimes have to calculate the value of chips won or lost by players.
Like many other jobs, cage cashiers must be reliable and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Victorville include:
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Telemarketer. Solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Cage Cashier Training
Chaffey College - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Chaffey College, 5885 Haven Ave, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91737-3002. Chaffey College is a large college located in Rancho Cucamonga, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,486 students. Chaffey College has less than one year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated one, one, and zero students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Victorville, California
Victorville is located in San Bernardino County, California. It has a population of over 110,318, which has grown by 72.3% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Victorville, 117, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Victorville are priced at $185,500 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred ninety-six new homes were constructed in Victorville, down from 1,090 the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Victorville are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, public administration, and truck transportation. The average commute to work is about 35 minutes. More than 10.6% of Victorville residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 3.7%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Victorville is 16.8%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Victorville residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 42.0%, is less than both the national and state average. United Pentecostal Church, Holy Faith Baptist Mission and Victor Valley Baptist Church are among the churches located in Victorville. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Victorville is home to the West Wind Golf Course and the Victorville Branch San Bernardino County Library as well as Eva Dell Park and Hesp Crest Desert Ecological Study Area. Shopping centers in the area include Hi Desert Plaza Shopping Center, Bear Valley Plaza Shopping Center and Victor Valley Town Center Shopping Center. Visitors to Victorville can choose from Best Western Green Tree Inn and Budget Inn of Victorville for temporary stays in the area.