Career and Education Opportunities for Orthodontists in Victorville, California
Orthodontist career and educational opportunities abound in Victorville, California. The national trend for orthodontists sees this job pool growing by about 19.8% over the next eight years. Orthodontists generally examine, diagnose, and treat dental malocclusions and oral cavity anomalies.
The income of an orthodontist is about $77 per hour or $161,150 annually on average in California. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about over $80 hourly or over $166,400 annually on average. Incomes for orthodontists are better than in the overall category of Dental in California, and better than the overall Dental category nationally. People working as orthodontists can fill a number of jobs, such as: dentist.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Victorville where you can study to be an orthodontist, among twenty-four schools of higher education total in the Victorville area. The most common level of education for orthodontists is post-Doctoral training. You can expect to spend at least four or five years studying to be an orthodontist if you already have a Bachelor's degree, or at least eight to ten years starting with a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Orthodontist
In general, orthodontists examine, diagnose, and treat dental malocclusions and oral cavity anomalies. They also design and fabricate appliances to realign teeth and jaws to produce and maintain normal function and to improve appearance.
Orthodontists fit dental appliances in patients' mouths to modify the position and relationship of teeth and jaws or to realign teeth. They also furnish patients with proposed treatment plans and cost estimates. Equally important, orthodontists have to adjust dental appliances to produce and maintain normal function. They are often called upon to ready diagnostic and treatment records. They are expected to layout and fabricate appliances, such as space maintainers and labial and lingual arch wires. Finally, orthodontists instruct dental officers and technical assistants in orthodontic procedures and techniques.
Every day, orthodontists are expected to be able to evaluate problems as they arise. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
Somewhat less frequently, orthodontists are also expected to fit dental appliances in patients' mouths to modify the position and relationship of teeth and jaws or to realign teeth.
Orthodontists sometimes are asked to study diagnostic records, such as medical or dental histories, plaster models of the teeth, photos of a patient's face and teeth, and X-rays, to evolve patient treatment plans. They also have to be able to examine patients to gauge abnormalities of jaw development and other dental-facial structures and diagnose teeth and jaw or other dental-facial abnormalities. And finally, they sometimes have to examine patients to gauge abnormalities of jaw development and other dental-facial structures.
Like many other jobs, orthodontists must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Victorville include:
- Dental Hygienist. Clean teeth and examine oral areas, head, and neck for signs of oral disease. May educate patients on oral hygiene, take and develop X-rays, or apply fluoride or sealants.
- Dentist. Diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth and gums and related oral structures. May treat diseases of nerve, pulp, and other dental tissues affecting vitality of teeth.
- Licensed Practical Nurse. Care for ill, injured, or disabled persons in hospitals, nursing homes, and similar institutions. May work under the supervision of a registered nurse. Licensing required.
- Physician Assistant. Provide healthcare services typically performed by a physician, under the supervision of a physician. Conduct complete physicals, provide treatment, and counsel patients. May, in some cases, prescribe medication. Must graduate from an accredited educational program for physician assistants.
- Radiation Therapist. Provide radiation therapy to patients as prescribed by a radiologist according to established practices and standards. Duties may include reviewing prescription and diagnosis; acting as liaison with physician and supportive care personnel; preparing equipment, such as immobilization, treatment, and protection devices; and maintaining records, reports, and files. May assist in dosimetry procedures and tumor localization.
- Respiratory Therapist. Assess, treat, and care for patients with breathing disorders. Assume primary responsibility for all respiratory care modalities, including the supervision of respiratory therapy technicians. Initiate and conduct therapeutic procedures; maintain patient records; and select, assemble, and operate equipment.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Orthodontist Training
Loma Linda University - Loma Linda, CA
Loma Linda University, , Loma Linda, CA 92350. Loma Linda University is a small university located in Loma Linda, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 4,115 students. Loma Linda University has a master's degree and a professional certificate program in Orthodontics/Orthodontology which graduated six and six students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Victorville, California
Victorville is located in San Bernardino County, California. It has a population of over 110,318, which has grown by 72.3% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Victorville, 117, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Victorville are priced at $185,500 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred ninety-six new homes were constructed in Victorville, down from 1,090 the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Victorville are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, public administration, and truck transportation. The average commute to work is about 35 minutes. More than 10.6% of Victorville residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 3.7%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Victorville is 16.8%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Victorville residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 42.0%, is less than both the national and state average. United Pentecostal Church, Holy Faith Baptist Mission and Victor Valley Baptist Church are among the churches located in Victorville. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Victorville is home to the West Wind Golf Course and the Victorville Branch San Bernardino County Library as well as Eva Dell Park and Hesp Crest Desert Ecological Study Area. Shopping centers in the area include Hi Desert Plaza Shopping Center, Bear Valley Plaza Shopping Center and Victor Valley Town Center Shopping Center. Visitors to Victorville can choose from Best Western Green Tree Inn and Budget Inn of Victorville for temporary stays in the area.