Career and Education Opportunities for Income Tax Advisors in Victorville, California
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for income tax advisors in the Victorville, California area. Currently, 8,200 people work as income tax advisors in California. This is expected to shrink 2% to 8,000 people by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for income tax advisors are expected to grow by about 2.9%. In general, income tax advisors prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses but do not have the background or responsibilities of an accredited or certified public accountant.
A person working as an income tax advisor can expect to earn about $23 hourly or $48,630 per year on average in California and about $14 hourly or $29,420 annually on average in the U.S. as a whole. Earnings for income tax advisors are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Accounting and Auditing in California and not quite as good as general Accounting and Auditing category earnings nationally. People working as income tax advisors can fill a number of jobs, such as: tax manager, income tax expert, and bookkeeper.
The Victorville area is home to twenty-four schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Victorville where you can get a degree as an income tax advisor. The most common level of education for income tax advisors is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time training to become an income tax advisor if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Income Tax Advisor
In general, income tax advisors prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses but do not have the background or responsibilities of an accredited or certified public accountant.
Income tax advisors ready or help in preparing simple to complex tax returns for individuals or small businesses. They also use all appropriate adjustments and credits to keep clients' taxes to a minimum. Equally important, income tax advisors have to inspect financial records such as income statements and documentation of expenditures to establish forms needed to ready tax returns. They are often called upon to consult tax law handbooks or bulletins to establish processes for preparation of atypical returns. They are expected to compute taxes owed or overpaid, using computers and complete entries on forms, following tax form instructions and tax tables. Finally, income tax advisors furnish taxpayers with sufficient data and advice to insure correct tax form completion.
Every day, income tax advisors are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to read and understand documents and reports. It is also important that they deal with basic arithmetic problems.
It is important for income tax advisors to check data input or verify totals on forms prepared by others to uncover errors in arithmetic or procedures. Somewhat less frequently, income tax advisors are also expected to calculate form preparation fees in line with return complexity and processing time required.
They also have to be able to interview clients to obtain additional data on taxable income and deductible expenses and allowances And finally, they sometimes have to inspect financial records such as income statements and documentation of expenditures to establish forms needed to ready tax returns.
Like many other jobs, income tax advisors must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Victorville include:
- Accountant. Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine or maintain records of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Assessor. Appraise real and personal property to determine its fair value. May assess taxes in accordance with prescribed schedules.
- Auditor. Examine and analyze accounting records to determine financial status of establishment and prepare financial reports concerning operating procedures.
- Budget Analyst. Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. Analyze budgeting and accounting reports for the purpose of maintaining expenditure controls.
- Cost Analyst. Prepare cost estimates for product manufacturing, construction projects, or services to aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service. May specialize according to particular service performed or type of product manufactured.
- Credit Analyst. Analyze current credit data and financial statements of individuals or firms to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. Prepare reports with this credit information for use in decision-making.
- Financial Examiner. Enforce or ensure compliance with laws and regulations governing financial and securities institutions and financial and real estate transactions. May examine, verify correctness of, or establish authenticity of records.
- Loan Counselor. Provide guidance to prospective loan applicants who have problems qualifying for traditional loans. Guidance may include determining the best type of loan and explaining loan requirements or restrictions.
- Real Estate Appraiser. Appraise real property to determine its value for purchase, sales, or loan purposes.
- Tax Examiner. Determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Income Tax Advisor Training
Chaffey College - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Chaffey College, 5885 Haven Ave, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91737-3002. Chaffey College is a large college located in Rancho Cucamonga, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,486 students. Chaffey College has a less than one year and a two to four year program in Taxation which graduated eight and zero students respectively in 2008.
Accredited Tax Advisor: This credential is for practitioners who handle sophisticated tax planning issues, including ownership of closely held businesses, qualified retirement plans and complex estates.
For more information, see the Accreditation Council for Accountancy and Taxation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Victorville, California
Victorville is located in San Bernardino County, California. It has a population of over 110,318, which has grown by 72.3% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Victorville, 117, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Victorville are priced at $185,500 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred ninety-six new homes were constructed in Victorville, down from 1,090 the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Victorville are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, public administration, and truck transportation. The average commute to work is about 35 minutes. More than 10.6% of Victorville residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 3.7%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Victorville is 16.8%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Victorville residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 42.0%, is less than both the national and state average. United Pentecostal Church, Holy Faith Baptist Mission and Victor Valley Baptist Church are among the churches located in Victorville. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Victorville is home to the West Wind Golf Course and the Victorville Branch San Bernardino County Library as well as Eva Dell Park and Hesp Crest Desert Ecological Study Area. Shopping centers in the area include Hi Desert Plaza Shopping Center, Bear Valley Plaza Shopping Center and Victor Valley Town Center Shopping Center. Visitors to Victorville can choose from Best Western Green Tree Inn and Budget Inn of Victorville for temporary stays in the area.