Career and Education Opportunities for Typists in Thousand Oaks, California
For those living in the Thousand Oaks, California area, there are many career and education opportunities for typists. There are currently 26,500 jobs for typists in California and this is projected to shrink by 8% to 24,300 jobs by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for typists are expected to shrink by about 5.7%. In general, typists type letters, reports, or other material from rough draft, corrected copy, or voice recording.
The income of a typist is about $17 per hour or $36,030 per year on average in California. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $15 per hour or $31,390 per year on average. Incomes for typists are not quite as good as in the overall category of Computer Operation in California, and not quite as good as the overall Computer Operation category nationally.
There are fourteen schools of higher education in the Thousand Oaks area, including one within twenty-five miles of Thousand Oaks where you can get a degree to start your career as a typist. The most common level of education for typists is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a typist if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Typist
In general, typists type letters, reports, or other material from rough draft, corrected copy, or voice recording. They also may perform other clerical duties as assigned.
Typists print and make copies of their work. They also perform other clerical duties such as answering telephone, sorting and distributing mail, running errands or sending faxes. Equally important, typists have to type correspondence, reports, text and other written material from rough drafts, corrected copies, voice recordings, dictation or previous versions, using a computer or typewriter. They are often called upon to address envelopes or ready envelope labels, using typewriter or computer. They are expected to adjust settings for format and other style requirements. Finally, typists gather and arrange the material to be typed, following instructions.
Every day, typists are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. It is also important that they move their hands and fingers quickly.
It is important for typists to search for specific sets of stored, typed characters so as to make changes. They are often called upon to compute and verify totals on report forms or bills, using adding machine or calculator. They also keep archives of work performed. They are sometimes expected to transcribe stenotyped notes of court proceedings. Somewhat less frequently, typists are also expected to transmit work electronically to other locations.
Typists sometimes are asked to gather and arrange the material to be typed, following instructions. They also have to be able to reformat documents, moving paragraphs and/or columns And finally, they sometimes have to use data entry devices.
Like many other jobs, typists must be thorough and dependable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Thousand Oaks include:
- Computer Clerk. Operate data entry device.
- Computer Systems Support Specialist. Monitor and control electronic computer and peripheral electronic data processing equipment to process business, scientific, and other data according to operating instructions. May enter commands at a computer terminal and set controls on computer and peripheral devices. Monitor and respond to operating and error messages.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Office Clerk. Perform duties too varied and diverse to be classified in any specific office clerical occupation, requiring limited knowledge of office management systems and procedures. Clerical duties may be assigned in accordance with the office procedures of individual establishments and may include a combination of answering telephones, bookkeeping, typing or word processing, stenography, office machine operation, and filing.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Typist Training
Ventura Adult and Continuing Education - Ventura, CA
Ventura Adult and Continuing Education, 5200 Valentine Rd, Ventura, CA 93003-0000. Ventura Adult and Continuing Education is a small school located in Ventura, California. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 74 students. Ventura Adult and Continuing Education has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated eleven students in 2008.
Certified Broadcast Captioner: Prove you're on the cutting edge.
For more information, see the National Court Reporters Association website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Thousand Oaks, California
Thousand Oaks is situated in Ventura County, California. It has a population of over 123,091, which has grown by 5.2% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Thousand Oaks, 133, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Thousand Oaks are priced at $499,900 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, ten new homes were built in Thousand Oaks, down from seventy-one the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Thousand Oaks are educational services, health care, and finance and insurance. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, construction, and finance and insurance. The average commute to work is about 26 minutes. More than 42.2% of Thousand Oaks residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 15.6%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Thousand Oaks is 8.6%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Thousand Oaks residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 44.6%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. King of Glory Lutheran Church, Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses and Temple Adat Elohim are all churches located in Thousand Oaks. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Thousand Oaks is home to the Rockwell International Science Center Library and the Lang Ranch as well as Joel McCrea Wildlife Preserve and Evenstar Park. Shopping centers in the area include Jeffries Center Shopping Center, Evergreens Shopping Center and Westoaks-Hampshire Shopping Center. Visitors to Thousand Oaks can choose from Best Western Oaks Lodge, Best Western Thousand Oaks Inn and Best Value Inn - Thousand Oaks for temporary stays in the area.