Career and Education Opportunities for Market Research Analysts in Thousand Oaks, California
Thousand Oaks, California provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for market research analysts. There are currently 30,200 jobs for market research analysts in California and this is projected to grow by 21% to about 36,500 jobs by 2016. This is not quite as good as the national trend for market research analysts, which sees this job pool growing by about 28.1% over the next eight years. Market research analysts generally research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas to determine potential sales of a product or service.
Income for market research analysts is about $31 hourly or $66,400 per year on average in California. Nationally, their income is about $29 hourly or $61,070 annually. Incomes for market research analysts are not quite as good as in the overall category of Social Sciences in California, and not quite as good as the overall Social Sciences category nationally. Jobs in this field include: technical marketing consultant, marketing specialist, and internet sourcer.
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of Thousand Oaks where you can study to be a market research analyst, among fourteen schools of higher education total in the Thousand Oaks area. Given that the most common education level for market research analysts is a Bachelor's degree, you can expect to spend about four years training to become a market research analyst if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Market Research Analyst
In general, market research analysts research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas to determine potential sales of a product or service. They also may gather information on competitors, prices, and methods of marketing and distribution.
Market research analysts ready reports of findings, illustrating data graphically and translating complex findings into written text. They also monitor industry statistics and follow trends in trade literature. Equally important, market research analysts have to collect and analyze data on customer demographics and buying habits to pinpoint potential markets and factors affecting product demand. They are often called upon to gather data on competitors and analyze their prices and methods of marketing and distribution. They are expected to seek and furnish data to help companies decide on their position in the marketplace. Finally, market research analysts attend conferences to furnish management with data and proposals concerning the promotion and pricing of a company's products or services.
Every day, market research analysts are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they write clearly and communicate well.
It is important for market research analysts to measure the effectiveness of marketing and communications programs and strategies. They are often called upon to design and implement processes for identifying advertising needs. They also direct trained survey interviewers. Somewhat less frequently, market research analysts are also expected to attend conferences to furnish management with data and proposals concerning the promotion and pricing of a company's products or services.
And finally, they sometimes have to measure and assess customer and employee satisfaction.
Like many other jobs, market research analysts must have exceptional integrity and be able to absorb the factors involved and a problem and provide a well thought out solution.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Thousand Oaks include:
- Archaeologist. Conduct research to reconstruct record of past human life and culture from human remains, artifacts, and structures recovered through excavation, underwater recovery, or other means of discovery.
- Economist. Conduct research, prepare reports, or formulate plans to aid in solution of economic problems arising from production and distribution of goods and services. May collect and process economic and statistical data using econometric and sampling techniques.
- Geographic Information Systems Analyst. Study nature and use of areas of earth's surface, relating and interpreting interactions of physical and cultural phenomena. Conduct research on physical aspects of a region, including land forms, climates, soils, plants and animals, and conduct research on the spatial implications of human activities within a given area, including social characteristics, economic activities, and political organization, as well as researching interdependence between regions at scales ranging from local to global.
- Historian. Research, analyze, and interpret the past as recorded in sources, such as government and institutional records, newspapers and other periodicals, photographs, and unpublished manuscripts, such as personal diaries and letters.
- Industrial Psychologist. Apply principles of psychology to personnel, administration, and marketing problems. Activities may include policy planning; employee screening, training and development; and organizational development and analysis. May work with management to reorganize the work setting to improve worker productivity.
- Market Survey Representative. Design or conduct surveys. May supervise interviewers who conduct the survey in person or over the telephone. May present survey results to client.
- School Psychologist. Investigate processes of learning and teaching and develop psychological principles and techniques applicable to educational problems.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Market Research Analyst Training
California State University-Channel Islands - Camarillo, CA
California State University-Channel Islands, One University Dr, Camarillo, CA 93012. California State University-Channel Islands is a small university located in Camarillo, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,782 students and an admission rate of 53%. California State University-Channel Islands has a bachelor's degree program in Economics which graduated two students in 2008.
California Lutheran University - Thousand Oaks, CA
California Lutheran University, 60 W Olsen Rd, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360-2787. California Lutheran University is a small university located in Thousand Oaks, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,499 students and an admission rate of 65%. California Lutheran University has a bachelor's degree program in Economics which graduated two students in 2008.
Oxnard College - Oxnard, CA
Oxnard College, 4000 S Rose Ave, Oxnard, CA 93033-6699. Oxnard College is a medium sized college located in Oxnard, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,639 students. Oxnard College has an associate's degree program in Economics which graduated one student in 2008.
Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package: Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package course list: Better Requests for Proposals for Better Projects; Continuous Improvement Through Monitoring; Contracting; New Coding System for the 21st Century; Procurement; and Writing Winning Grant Proposals.
For more information, see the Dynamic Works Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Thousand Oaks, California
Thousand Oaks is situated in Ventura County, California. It has a population of over 123,091, which has grown by 5.2% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Thousand Oaks, 133, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Thousand Oaks are priced at $499,900 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, ten new homes were built in Thousand Oaks, down from seventy-one the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Thousand Oaks are educational services, health care, and finance and insurance. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, construction, and finance and insurance. The average commute to work is about 26 minutes. More than 42.2% of Thousand Oaks residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 15.6%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Thousand Oaks is 8.6%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Thousand Oaks residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 44.6%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. King of Glory Lutheran Church, Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses and Temple Adat Elohim are all churches located in Thousand Oaks. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Thousand Oaks is home to the Rockwell International Science Center Library and the Lang Ranch as well as Joel McCrea Wildlife Preserve and Evenstar Park. Shopping centers in the area include Jeffries Center Shopping Center, Evergreens Shopping Center and Westoaks-Hampshire Shopping Center. Visitors to Thousand Oaks can choose from Best Western Oaks Lodge, Best Western Thousand Oaks Inn and Best Value Inn - Thousand Oaks for temporary stays in the area.