Career and Education Opportunities for Craftsmen in Thousand Oaks, California
If you want to be a craftsman, the Thousand Oaks, California area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. The national trend for craftsmen sees this job pool growing by about 7.2% over the next eight years. Craftsmen generally create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
Craftsmen earn about $18 hourly or $37,890 annually on average in California and about $13 per hour or $29,080 per year on average nationally. Craftsmen earn less than people working in the category of Art and Design generally in California and less than people in the Art and Design category nationally. People working as craftsmen can fill a number of jobs, such as: furniture maker, craft worker, and glass artist.
The Thousand Oaks area is home to fourteen schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of Thousand Oaks where you can get a degree as a craftsman. The most common level of education for craftsmen is a high school diploma or GED. It will take only a short time to learn to be a craftsman if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Craftsman
In general, craftsmen create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
Craftsmen develop functional or decorative objects by hand, using a variety of methods and materials. They also design product packaging, display and pricing strategies. Equally important, craftsmen have to attend craft shows to market products. They are often called upon to advertise products and work, using media such as internet advertising and brochures. They are expected to design creative concepts for craft objects. Finally, craftsmen fabricate patterns or templates to guide craft production.
Every day, craftsmen are expected to be able to control and manipulate objects at a fine level of detail. They need to control objects and devices with precise control. It is also important that they move quickly in order to hold onto or control objects and devices.
It is important for craftsmen to apply finishes to objects being crafted. They are often called upon to design designs using specialized computer software. Somewhat less frequently, craftsmen are also expected to research craft trends and customer buying patterns so as to inspire designs and marketing strategies.
Craftsmen sometimes are asked to develop prototypes or models of objects to be crafted. And finally, they sometimes have to talk with customers to gauge customer needs or obtain feedback.
Like many other jobs, craftsmen must be thorough and dependable and believe in innovation and creative thought.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Thousand Oaks include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Florist. Design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Craftsman Training
California State University-Channel Islands - Camarillo, CA
California State University-Channel Islands, One University Dr, Camarillo, CA 93012. California State University-Channel Islands is a small university located in Camarillo, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,782 students and an admission rate of 53%. California State University-Channel Islands has 2 areas of study related to Craftsman. They are:
- Visual and Performing Arts, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Art/Art Studies, bachelor's degree which graduated 63 students in 2008.
Ventura College - Ventura, CA
Ventura College, 4667 Telegraph Rd, Ventura, CA 93003-3872. Ventura College is a large college located in Ventura, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 14,456 students. Ventura College has 2 areas of study related to Craftsman. They are:
- Art/Art Studies, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated one, two, and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Ceramic Arts and Ceramics, associate's degree and two to four year.
California Lutheran University - Thousand Oaks, CA
California Lutheran University, 60 W Olsen Rd, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360-2787. California Lutheran University is a small university located in Thousand Oaks, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 3,499 students and an admission rate of 65%. California Lutheran University has a bachelor's degree program in Art/Art Studies which graduated two students in 2008.
Oxnard College - Oxnard, CA
Oxnard College, 4000 S Rose Ave, Oxnard, CA 93033-6699. Oxnard College is a medium sized college located in Oxnard, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,639 students. Oxnard College has 3 areas of study related to Craftsman. They are:
- Art/Art Studies, associate's degree and two to four year which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Drawing, associate's degree.
- Sculpture, associate's degree.
Moorpark College - Moorpark, CA
Moorpark College, 7075 Campus Rd, Moorpark, CA 93021-1695. Moorpark College is a large college located in Moorpark, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 15,842 students. Moorpark College has an associate's degree program in Art/Art Studies which graduated seven students in 2008.
Certified Decorative Artist: The Certified Decorative Artist applicant must pay the required fees and submit one piece of work for judging.
For more information, see the Society of Decorative Painters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Thousand Oaks, California
Thousand Oaks is situated in Ventura County, California. It has a population of over 123,091, which has grown by 5.2% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Thousand Oaks, 133, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Thousand Oaks are priced at $499,900 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, ten new homes were built in Thousand Oaks, down from seventy-one the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Thousand Oaks are educational services, health care, and finance and insurance. For men, it is professional, scientific, and technical services, construction, and finance and insurance. The average commute to work is about 26 minutes. More than 42.2% of Thousand Oaks residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 15.6%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Thousand Oaks is 8.6%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Thousand Oaks residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 44.6%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. King of Glory Lutheran Church, Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses and Temple Adat Elohim are all churches located in Thousand Oaks. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Thousand Oaks is home to the Rockwell International Science Center Library and the Lang Ranch as well as Joel McCrea Wildlife Preserve and Evenstar Park. Shopping centers in the area include Jeffries Center Shopping Center, Evergreens Shopping Center and Westoaks-Hampshire Shopping Center. Visitors to Thousand Oaks can choose from Best Western Oaks Lodge, Best Western Thousand Oaks Inn and Best Value Inn - Thousand Oaks for temporary stays in the area.