Career and Education Opportunities for Administrative Assistants in Stockton, California
For those living in the Stockton, California area, there are many career and education opportunities for administrative assistants. About 223,800 people are currently employed as administrative assistants in California. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 17% to about 262,200 people employed. This is better than the national trend for administrative assistants, which sees this job pool growing by about 12.8% over the next eight years. Administrative assistants generally provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings.
The income of an administrative assistant is about $21 per hour or $43,950 yearly on average in California. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $19 hourly or $40,030 yearly on average. Earnings for administrative assistants are better than earnings in the general category of Secretarial in California and better than general Secretarial category earnings nationally.
There are twenty-two schools of higher education in the Stockton area, including five within twenty-five miles of Stockton where you can get a degree to start your career as an administrative assistant. Given that the most common education level for administrative assistants is some college courses, it will take a short time to learn to be an administrative assistant if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Administrative Assistant
In general, administrative assistants provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. They also may also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
Administrative assistants file and retrieve corporate documents and reports. They also ready invoices, reports, memos, letters, financial statements and other documents, using word processing or presentation software. Equally important, administrative assistants have to open and distribute incoming correspondence, including faxes and email. They are often called upon to perform general office duties, such as ordering supplies, maintaining archives management database systems, and performing basic bookkeeping work. They are expected to answer phone calls and direct calls to appropriate parties or take messages. Finally, administrative assistants read and analyze incoming memos and reports to establish their significance and plan their distribution.
Every day, administrative assistants are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to read and understand documents and reports. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for administrative assistants to ready agendas and make arrangements, such as coordinating catering for luncheons and other meetings. They are often called upon to schedule and direct office services, such as archives and housekeeping, to assist executives. They also furnish clerical support to other departments. They are sometimes expected to conduct research and ready papers for consideration and presentation by executives, committees and boards of directors. Somewhat less frequently, administrative assistants are also expected to perform general office duties, such as ordering supplies, maintaining archives management database systems, and performing basic bookkeeping work.
Administrative assistants sometimes are asked to make travel arrangements for executives. and oversee and maintain executives' schedules. And finally, they sometimes have to process payroll data.
Like many other jobs, administrative assistants must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Stockton include:
- Legal Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents. Prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, and subpoenas. May also assist with legal research.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Municipal Clerk. Draft agendas and bylaws for town or city council; record minutes of council meetings; answer official correspondence; keep fiscal records and accounts; and prepare reports on civic needs.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Procurement Clerk. Compile information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement of materials and services.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Administrative Assistant Training
Modesto Junior College - Modesto, CA
Modesto Junior College, 435 College Ave, Modesto, CA 95350-5800. Modesto Junior College is a large college located in Modesto, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,000 students. Modesto Junior College has less than one year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in Administrative Assistant and Secretarial Science which graduated four, ten, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Computer Tutor Business and Technical Institute - Modesto, CA
Computer Tutor Business and Technical Institute, 4306 Sisk Rd, Modesto, CA 95356. Computer Tutor Business and Technical Institute is a small school located in Modesto, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 130 students. Computer Tutor Business and Technical Institute has 2 areas of study related to Administrative Assistant. They are:
- Medical Administrative/Executive Assistant & Medical Secretary, less than one year which graduated 32 students in 2008.
- Administrative Assistant and Secretarial Science, less than one year which graduated 56 students in 2008.
San Joaquin Delta College - Stockton, CA
San Joaquin Delta College, 5151 Pacific Ave, Stockton, CA 95207. San Joaquin Delta College is a large college located in Stockton, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,480 students. San Joaquin Delta College has 2 areas of study related to Administrative Assistant. They are:
- Medical Administrative/Executive Assistant & Medical Secretary, two to four year.
- Administrative Assistant and Secretarial Science, one to two year and two to four year which graduated three and zero students respectively in 2008.
Humphreys College-Stockton - Stockton, CA
Humphreys College-Stockton, 6650 Inglewood Ave, Stockton, CA 95207-3896. Humphreys College-Stockton is a small college located in Stockton, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 811 students. Humphreys College-Stockton has 3 areas of study related to Administrative Assistant. They are:
- Medical Administrative/Executive Assistant & Medical Secretary, less than one year and associate's degree which graduated zero and three students respectively in 2008.
- Administrative Assistant and Secretarial Science, bachelor's degree which graduated 3 students in 2008.
- Executive Assistant/Executive Secretary, less than one year and associate's degree which graduated zero and one students respectively in 2008.
MTI Business College Inc - Stockton, CA
MTI Business College Inc, 6006 N. El Dorado Street, Stockton, CA 95207-4349. MTI Business College Inc is a small college located in Stockton, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 225 students. MTI Business College Inc has 2 areas of study related to Administrative Assistant. They are:
- Medical Administrative/Executive Assistant & Medical Secretary, less than one year which graduated 11 students in 2008.
- Administrative Assistant and Secretarial Science, less than one year which graduated 2 students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Stockton, California
Stockton is situated in San Joaquin County, California. It has a population of over 287,037, which has grown by 17.7% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Stockton, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Stockton cost $262,500 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred sixty-four new homes were built in Stockton, down from six hundred seventeen the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Stockton are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 27 minutes. More than 15.4% of Stockton residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.9%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Stockton is 19.4%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Stockton residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 38.2%, is less than both the national and state average. Peniel Ministries for Stockton Neighborhood Center, Corinthian Missionary Baptist Church and Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses are among the churches located in Stockton. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Stockton is home to the Calaveras Landing and the Stockton Country Club as well as Atherton Park and Williams Brotherhood Park. Shopping malls in the area include Saint Marks Plaza Shopping Center, Hammer Ranch Shopping Center and Weberstown Shopping Center. Visitors to Stockton can choose from Best Western Inn, Best Value Inn and Acorn Inn for temporary stays in the area.