Career and Education Opportunities for Nursing Professors in Stockton, California
Stockton, California provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for nursing professors. Nursing professors generally demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $29 per hour or $79,682 per year in California, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Compared with people working in the overall category of Postsecondary Education, people working as nursing professors in California earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Postsecondary Education nationally. People working as nursing professors can fill a number of jobs, such as: nurse anesthesia program director, instructor, and nurse educator.
There are twenty-two schools of higher education in the Stockton area, including four within twenty-five miles of Stockton where you can get a degree to start your career as a nursing professor. The most common level of education for nursing professors is a Master's degree. It will take about six years to learn to be a nursing professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Nursing Professor
In general, nursing professors demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. They also includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
Nursing professors keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They also evaluate and grade students' class work, laboratory and clinic work, assignments, and papers. Equally important, nursing professors have to collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues. They are often called upon to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They are expected to initiate and moderate classroom discussions. Finally, nursing professors supervise students' laboratory and clinical work.
Every day, nursing professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for nursing professors to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. They are often called upon to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. They also write grant proposals to procure external research funding. They are sometimes expected to act as advisers to student organizations. Somewhat less frequently, nursing professors are also expected to demonstrate patient care in clinical units of hospitals.
Nursing professors sometimes are asked to maintain student attendance records and other required records. They also have to be able to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry and ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. And finally, they sometimes have to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
Like many other jobs, nursing professors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Stockton include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Nursing Professor Training
Modesto Junior College - Modesto, CA
Modesto Junior College, 435 College Ave, Modesto, CA 95350-5800. Modesto Junior College is a large college located in Modesto, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,000 students. Modesto Junior College has an associate's degree program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated 137 students in 2008.
San Joaquin Delta College - Stockton, CA
San Joaquin Delta College, 5151 Pacific Ave, Stockton, CA 95207. San Joaquin Delta College is a large college located in Stockton, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,480 students. San Joaquin Delta College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated 156 and 156 students respectively in 2008.
University of Phoenix-Bay Area Campus - Pleasanton, CA
University of Phoenix-Bay Area Campus, 7901 Stoneridge Drive, Suite 130, Pleasanton, CA 94588-3677. University of Phoenix-Bay Area Campus is a small university located in Pleasanton, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 1,784 students. University of Phoenix-Bay Area Campus has 2 areas of study related to Nursing Professor. They are:
- Nursing - Registered Nurse Training, bachelor's degree which graduated 9 students in 2008.
- Nursing Science, master's degree which graduated 14 students in 2008.
California State University-Stanislaus - Turlock, CA
California State University-Stanislaus, One University Circle, Turlock, CA 95382. California State University-Stanislaus is a medium sized university located in Turlock, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 8,600 students and an admission rate of 65%. California State University-Stanislaus has a bachelor's degree program in Nursing - Registered Nurse Training which graduated sixty students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Stockton, California
Stockton is situated in San Joaquin County, California. It has a population of over 287,037, which has grown by 17.7% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Stockton, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Stockton cost $262,500 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred sixty-four new homes were built in Stockton, down from six hundred seventeen the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Stockton are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 27 minutes. More than 15.4% of Stockton residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.9%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Stockton is 19.4%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Stockton residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 38.2%, is less than both the national and state average. Peniel Ministries for Stockton Neighborhood Center, Corinthian Missionary Baptist Church and Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses are among the churches located in Stockton. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Stockton is home to the Calaveras Landing and the Stockton Country Club as well as Atherton Park and Williams Brotherhood Park. Shopping malls in the area include Saint Marks Plaza Shopping Center, Hammer Ranch Shopping Center and Weberstown Shopping Center. Visitors to Stockton can choose from Best Western Inn, Best Value Inn and Acorn Inn for temporary stays in the area.