Career and Education Opportunities for Architecture Professors in Stockton, California
If you want to be an architecture professor, the Stockton, California area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. In general, architecture professors teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $29 per hour or $79,682 per year in California, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Incomes for architecture professors are not quite as good as in the overall category of Postsecondary Education in California, and better than the overall Postsecondary Education category nationally. Jobs in this field include: landscape architecture teacher, lecturer, and architecture department chair.
The Stockton area is home to twenty-two schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Stockton where you can get a degree as an architecture professor. Architecture professors usually hold a Master's degree, so you can expect to spend about six years studying to be an architecture professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Architecture Professor
In general, architecture professors teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
Architecture professors formulate and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction. They also keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. Equally important, architecture professors have to evaluate and grade students' work, including work performed in layout studios. They are often called upon to ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. They are expected to initiate and moderate classroom discussions. Finally, architecture professors conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media.
Every day, architecture professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for architecture professors to participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are often called upon to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. They also write grant proposals to procure external research funding. They are sometimes expected to act as advisers to student organizations. Somewhat less frequently, architecture professors are also expected to compile and grade examinations, or assign this work to others.
Architecture professors sometimes are asked to participate in campus and community events. They also have to be able to serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues And finally, they sometimes have to write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
Like many other jobs, architecture professors must have exceptional integrity and be able to absorb the factors involved and a problem and provide a well thought out solution.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Stockton include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Architecture Professor Training
Modesto Junior College - Modesto, CA
Modesto Junior College, 435 College Ave, Modesto, CA 95350-5800. Modesto Junior College is a large college located in Modesto, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,000 students. Modesto Junior College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Landscape Architecture.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Stockton, California
Stockton is situated in San Joaquin County, California. It has a population of over 287,037, which has grown by 17.7% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Stockton, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Stockton cost $262,500 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred sixty-four new homes were built in Stockton, down from six hundred seventeen the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Stockton are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 27 minutes. More than 15.4% of Stockton residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.9%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Stockton is 19.4%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Stockton residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 38.2%, is less than both the national and state average. Peniel Ministries for Stockton Neighborhood Center, Corinthian Missionary Baptist Church and Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses are among the churches located in Stockton. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Stockton is home to the Calaveras Landing and the Stockton Country Club as well as Atherton Park and Williams Brotherhood Park. Shopping malls in the area include Saint Marks Plaza Shopping Center, Hammer Ranch Shopping Center and Weberstown Shopping Center. Visitors to Stockton can choose from Best Western Inn, Best Value Inn and Acorn Inn for temporary stays in the area.