Career and Education Opportunities for Multi-Media Artist or Animators in Stockton, California
If you want to be a multi-media artist or animator, the Stockton, California area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. There are currently 27,900 working multi-media artist or animators in California; this should grow 32% to 36,800 working multi-media artist or animators in the state by 2016. This is better than the national trend for multi-media artist or animators, which sees this job pool growing by about 14.2% over the next eight years. Multi-media artist or animators generally create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
Income for multi-media artist or animators is about $34 per hour or $71,120 per year on average in California. Nationally, their income is about $27 per hour or $56,330 yearly. Compared with people working in the overall category of Art and Design, people working as multi-media artist or animators in California earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Art and Design nationally. Multi-media artist or animators work in a variety of jobs, including: virtual reality specialist, art director, and multimedia designer.
The Stockton area is home to twenty-two schools of higher education, including four within twenty-five miles of Stockton where you can get a degree as a multi-media artist or animator. The most common level of education for multi-media artist or animators is a Bachelor's degree. You can expect to spend about four years studying to be a multi-media artist or animator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Multi-Media Artist or Animator
In general, multi-media artist or animators create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
Every day, multi-media artist or animators are expected to be able to be creative and generate new ideas. They need to visualize how things come together and can be organized. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for multi-media artist or animators to layout complex graphics and animation, using independent judgment and computer equipment. They are often called upon to make objects or characters appear lifelike by manipulating light and transparency, or manipulating static images to give the illusion of motion. They also develop pen-and-paper images to be scanned, edited, colored, textured or animated by computer. They are sometimes expected to develop basic designs and illustrations for product labels or television. Somewhat less frequently, multi-media artist or animators are also expected to use models to simulate the behavior of animated objects in the finished sequence.
Multi-media artist or animators sometimes are asked to develop and install special effects as required by the script, mixing chemicals and fabricating needed parts from wood and clay. and implement and maintain configuration control systems. And finally, they sometimes have to implement and maintain configuration control systems.
Like many other jobs, multi-media artist or animators must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Stockton include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Florist. Design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Multi-Media Artist or Animator Training
Modesto Junior College - Modesto, CA
Modesto Junior College, 435 College Ave, Modesto, CA 95350-5800. Modesto Junior College is a large college located in Modesto, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,000 students. Modesto Junior College has one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in Graphic Design which graduated three, nine, and zero students respectively in 2008.
San Joaquin Delta College - Stockton, CA
San Joaquin Delta College, 5151 Pacific Ave, Stockton, CA 95207. San Joaquin Delta College is a large college located in Stockton, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,480 students. San Joaquin Delta College has a one to two year and a two to four year program in Graphic Design which graduated six and zero students respectively in 2008.
ITT Technical Institute-Lathrop - Lathrop, CA
ITT Technical Institute-Lathrop, 16916 S. Harlan Rd, Lathrop, CA 95330. ITT Technical Institute-Lathrop is a small school located in Lathrop, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 772 students and an admission rate of 49%. ITT Technical Institute-Lathrop has 2 areas of study related to Multi-Media Artist or Animator. They are:
- Animation, Interactive Technology, Video Graphics & Special Effects, bachelor's degree which graduated 5 students in 2008.
- Web Page, Digital/Multimedia & Information Resources Design, associate's degree which graduated 28 students in 2008.
University of Phoenix-Bay Area Campus - Pleasanton, CA
University of Phoenix-Bay Area Campus, 7901 Stoneridge Drive, Suite 130, Pleasanton, CA 94588-3677. University of Phoenix-Bay Area Campus is a small university located in Pleasanton, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 1,784 students. University of Phoenix-Bay Area Campus has a bachelor's degree program in Web Page, Digital/Multimedia & Information Resources Design which graduated two students in 2008.
Certified Web Professional - Site Designer: A CWP Site Designer implements and maintains Web sites using authoring and scripting languages, content creation and management tools, and digital media.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Web Graphics and Multimedia Certificate: Equips the student for work as a Web graphic artist, creating illustrations, pictures, buttons, and other images for use on the Web, as well as the ability to create interactive multimedia designs in Flash or other programs.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Certified Web Designer Associate: Web Designer Associates are proficient in the visual arts and creating the images and designs that capture and keep visitors' interest.
For more information, see the World Organization of Webmasters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Stockton, California
Stockton is situated in San Joaquin County, California. It has a population of over 287,037, which has grown by 17.7% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Stockton, 91, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Stockton cost $262,500 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred sixty-four new homes were built in Stockton, down from six hundred seventeen the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Stockton are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 27 minutes. More than 15.4% of Stockton residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.9%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Stockton is 19.4%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Stockton residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 38.2%, is less than both the national and state average. Peniel Ministries for Stockton Neighborhood Center, Corinthian Missionary Baptist Church and Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses are among the churches located in Stockton. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Stockton is home to the Calaveras Landing and the Stockton Country Club as well as Atherton Park and Williams Brotherhood Park. Shopping malls in the area include Saint Marks Plaza Shopping Center, Hammer Ranch Shopping Center and Weberstown Shopping Center. Visitors to Stockton can choose from Best Western Inn, Best Value Inn and Acorn Inn for temporary stays in the area.