Career and Education Opportunities for Payroll Machine Operators in Simi Valley, California
Payroll machine operators can find many career and educational opportunities in the Simi Valley, California area. The national trend for payroll machine operators sees this job pool growing by about 15.3% over the next eight years. In general, payroll machine operators operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data.
Income for payroll machine operators is about $16 hourly or $33,420 per year on average in California. Nationally, their income is about $14 per hour or $30,950 annually. Payroll machine operators earn more than people working in the category of Billing and Bookkeeping generally in California and more than people in the Billing and Bookkeeping category nationally.
The Simi Valley area is home to 175 schools of higher education, including seven within twenty-five miles of Simi Valley where you can get a degree as a payroll machine operator. Given that the most common education level for payroll machine operators is a high school diploma or GED, it will take only a short time to learn to be a payroll machine operator if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Payroll Machine Operator
In general, payroll machine operators operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. They also duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
Every day, payroll machine operators are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to prioritize information for further consideration. It is also important that they see details at a very fine level of focus.
It is important for payroll machine operators to enter into machines all data needed for bill generation. They are often called upon to clean machines, and remove ribbons, film, and tape. They also reconcile and post receipts for cash received by various departments. They are sometimes expected to operate bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile archives of transactions. Somewhat less frequently, payroll machine operators are also expected to compute payroll and retirement amounts, applying knowledge of payroll deductions and survivor allowances.
Payroll machine operators sometimes are asked to operate special billing machines to ready statements and invoices. and assign purchase order numbers to invoices and formal and informal bids. And finally, they sometimes have to compile and verify requisition, production and other reports which require specialized knowledge in selecting the totals used.
Like many other jobs, payroll machine operators must be reliable and be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Simi Valley include:
- Accounts Receivable Specialist. Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer's account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
- Bank Teller. Receive and pay out money. Keep records of money and negotiable instruments involved in a financial institution's various transactions.
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Clerk. Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Computer Clerk. Operate data entry device.
- Gaming Cashier. Conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. May reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Accept patron's credit application and verify credit references to provide check-cashing authorization or to establish house credit accounts. May sell gambling chips, tokens, or tickets to patrons, or to other workers for resale to patrons. May convert gaming chips, tokens, or tickets to currency upon patron's request. May use a cash register or computer to record transaction.
- Order Filler. Fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms. Duties include computing prices of items, completing order receipts, keeping records of out-going orders, and requisitioning additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Payroll Bookkeeper. Compile and post employee time and payroll data. May compute employees' time worked, production, and commission. May compute and post wages and deductions. May prepare paychecks.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
- Statistical Clerk. Compile and compute data according to statistical formulas for use in statistical studies. May perform actuarial computations and compile charts and graphs for use by actuaries. Includes actuarial clerks.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Payroll Machine Operator Training
DeVry University-California - Pomona, CA
DeVry University-California, 901 Corporate Ctr Dr, Pomona, CA 91768-2642. DeVry University-California is a medium sized university located in Pomona, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 6,183 students and an admission rate of 88%. DeVry University-California has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated two students in 2008.
American Pacific College - Van Nuys, CA
American Pacific College, 14435 Sherman Way, Suite 208, Van Nuys, CA 91405. American Pacific College is a small college located in Van Nuys, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 20 students. American Pacific College has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated one student in 2008.
Los Angeles ORT Technical Institute - Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles ORT Technical Institute, 6435 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90048. Los Angeles ORT Technical Institute is a small school located in Los Angeles, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 176 students. Los Angeles ORT Technical Institute has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated twenty-four students in 2008.
Baldwin Park Adult & Community Education - Baldwin Park, CA
Baldwin Park Adult & Community Education, 4640 Maine Ave, Baldwin Park, CA 91706-4221. Baldwin Park Adult & Community Education is a small school located in Baldwin Park, California. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 1,400 students. Baldwin Park Adult & Community Education has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated twenty-one students in 2008.
Argosy University-Los Angeles - Santa Monica, CA
Argosy University-Los Angeles, 2950 31st Street, Santa Monica, CA 90405. Argosy University-Los Angeles is a small university located in Santa Monica, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 307 students and an admission rate of 86%. Argosy University-Los Angeles has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
Los Angeles ORT Technical Institute-Sherman Oaks - Sherman Oaks, CA
Los Angeles ORT Technical Institute-Sherman Oaks, 15130 Ventura Blvd, Ste 250, Sherman Oaks, CA 91403. Los Angeles ORT Technical Institute-Sherman Oaks is a small school located in Sherman Oaks, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 2-year programs and has 54 students. Los Angeles ORT Technical Institute-Sherman Oaks has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping.
Adelante Career Institute - Van Nuys, CA
Adelante Career Institute, 14547 Titus, Suite 100, Van Nuys, CA 91402. Adelante Career Institute is a small school located in Van Nuys, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily less-than 2-year programs. It has 95 students and an admission rate of 89%. Adelante Career Institute has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated nine students in 2008.
Certified Medical Coder: Experienced medical office professionals with exceptional coding skills are eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Coder (CMC) exam.
For more information, see the Practice Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Simi Valley, California
Simi Valley is situated in Ventura County, California. It has a population of over 120,543, which has grown by 8.3% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Simi Valley, 131, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Simi Valley are valued at $451,000 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, nineteen new homes were built in Simi Valley, down from one hundred thirty-two the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Simi Valley are finance and insurance, educational services, and health care. For men, it is construction, finance and insurance, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 29 minutes. More than 24.9% of Simi Valley residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Simi Valley is 9.2%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Simi Valley residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 44.6%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. Alliance Church, Grace Brethren Church of Simi Valley and Valley Bible Community Church are some of the churches located in Simi Valley. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Simi Valley is home to the Simi Valley Historical Society Archives and the Simi Civic Center as well as Stargaze Park and Atherwood Park. Shopping centers in the area include Mountain Gate Plaza Shopping Center, Royal Plaza Shopping Center and Regency Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Simi Valley can choose from 4 Hotel Now Com and 5 Star Linens for temporary stays in the area.