Career and Education Opportunities for Policemen in Santa Rosa, California
Policemen can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Santa Rosa, California area. About 61,300 people are currently employed as policemen in California. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 18% to 72,200 people employed. This is better than the national trend for policemen, which sees this job pool growing by about 8.7% over the next eight years. Policemen generally patrol assigned areas to enforce laws and ordinances, regulate traffic, and arrest violators.
Policemen earn approximately $36 per hour or $75,310 yearly on average in California. Nationally they average about $24 per hour or $51,410 per year. Incomes for policemen are better than in the overall category of Police and Security in California, and better than the overall Police and Security category nationally. Policemen work in a variety of jobs, including: police patrol officer, officer, and peace officer.
The Santa Rosa area is home to seven schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of Santa Rosa where you can get a degree as a policeman. The most common level of education for policemen is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time training to become a policeman if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Policeman
In general, policemen patrol assigned areas to enforce laws and ordinances, regulate traffic, and arrest violators.
Policemen record facts to ready reports that document incidents and efforts. They also identify and arrest suspects and perpetrators of criminal acts. Equally important, policemen have to track and investigate suspicious persons and situations and unusual or illegal activity in patrol area. They are often called upon to provide for public safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people, and promoting good community relations. They are expected to testify in court to present evidence or act as witness in traffic and criminal cases. Finally, policemen relay complaint and emergency-request data to appropriate agency dispatchers.
Every day, policemen are expected to be able to respond quickly in general. They need to evaluate problems as they arise. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for policemen to evaluate complaint and emergency-request data to establish response requirements. They are often called upon to process prisoners, and ready and maintain records of prisoner bookings and prisoner status during booking and pre-trial process. They also act as official escorts. Somewhat less frequently, policemen are also expected to examine public establishments to insure adherence to rules and regulations.
Policemen sometimes are asked to track traffic to insure motorists observe traffic rules and exhibit safe driving procedures. And finally, they sometimes have to inspect facts of incidents to establish if criminal acts or statute violations were involved.
Like many other jobs, policemen must have exceptional integrity and have strong self control in the face of challenging situations.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Santa Rosa include:
- Chief of Police. Supervise and coordinate activities of members of police force.
- Correctional Officer. Guard inmates in penal or rehabilitative institution in accordance with established regulations and procedures. May guard prisoners in transit between jail, courtroom, or other point. Includes deputy sheriffs and police who spend the majority of their time guarding prisoners in correctional institutions.
- Criminal Investigator. Investigate alleged or suspected criminal violations of Federal, state, or local laws to determine if evidence is sufficient to recommend prosecution.
- Customs Inspector. Investigate and inspect persons, common carriers, and merchandise, arriving in or departing from the United States or between states to detect violations of immigration and customs laws and regulations.
- Fire Code Inspector. Inspect buildings and equipment to detect fire hazards and enforce state and local regulations.
- Forest Fire Lookout. Enforce fire regulations and inspect for forest fire hazards. Report forest fires and weather conditions.
- Police Officer. Conduct investigations to prevent crimes or solve criminal cases.
- Police Records Officer. Collect evidence at crime scenes, classify and identify fingerprints, and photograph evidence for use in criminal and civil cases.
- Private Investigator. Detect occurrences of unlawful acts or infractions of rules in private establishment, or seek, examine, and compile information for client.
- Sheriff. Enforce law and order in rural or unincorporated districts or serve legal processes of courts. May patrol courthouse, guard court or grand jury, or escort defendants.
- Transportation Security Officer. Inspect baggage or cargo and screen passengers to detect and prevent potentially dangerous objects from being transported into secure areas or onto aircraft.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Policeman Training
Napa Valley College - Napa, CA
Napa Valley College, 2277 Napa-Vallejo Hwy, Napa, CA 94558-6236. Napa Valley College is a medium sized college located in Napa, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,404 students. Napa Valley College has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Criminal Justice/Police Science which graduated 111 and twenty-three students respectively in 2008.
Santa Rosa Junior College - Santa Rosa, CA
Santa Rosa Junior College, 1501 Mendocino Avenue, Santa Rosa, CA 95401-4395. Santa Rosa Junior College is a large college located in Santa Rosa, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 26,350 students. Santa Rosa Junior College has less than one year, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in Criminal Justice/Police Science which graduated 1,119, thirteen, twenty-three, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Oxygen Administration: Prepares laypersons and professional rescuers with the knowledge and skills needed to know when and how to use supplemental oxygen and breathing devices.
For more information, see the American Red Cross website.
Police Service Dog Certification: This test is to determine if the police service dog is capable of performing on and off lead obedience exercises.
For more information, see the Eastern States Working Dog Association, INC website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Santa Rosa, California
Santa Rosa is situated in Sonoma County, California. It has a population of over 155,796, which has grown by 5.6% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Santa Rosa, 159, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Santa Rosa are priced at $193,300 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred fifty new homes were built in Santa Rosa, down from three hundred sixty-eight the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Santa Rosa are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 27.6% of Santa Rosa residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Santa Rosa is 10.1%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Santa Rosa residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 32.1%, is less than both the national and state average. United Pentecostal Church, Bethlehem Lutheran Church and Bennett Valley Baptist Church are among the churches located in Santa Rosa. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Santa Rosa is home to the Sonoma County Administration Center and the Quarry Picnic Area as well as Live Oak Park and Coffey Park. Shopping malls in the area include Montgomery Village Shopping Center, Saint Francis Shopping Center and Flamingo One Stop Shopping Center. Visitors to Santa Rosa can choose from Amansi, Astro Motel and Beautiful Weddings & Events for temporary stays in the area.