Career and Education Opportunities for Legislators in Santa Rosa, California
Santa Rosa, California provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for legislators. Currently, 2,800 people work as legislators in California. This is expected to grow by 11% to 3,100 people by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for legislators are expected to grow by about 0.7%. Legislators generally develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
The average wage in the general category of Specialized Management jobs is $43 per hour or $86,068 per year in California, and an average of $39 per hour or $74,363 per year nationwide. Compared with people working in the overall category of Specialized Management, people working as legislators in California earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Specialized Management nationally. Jobs in this field include: tribal delegate, councilperson, and city alderman.
The Santa Rosa area is home to seven schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Santa Rosa where you can get a degree as a legislator.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legislator
In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Santa Rosa include:
- Construction Foreman. Plan, direct, or budget, usually through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. Participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, and implementation.
- Garden Center Manager. Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, and harvesting horticultural specialties, such as trees, shrubs, and other plants.
- Natural Resources Specialist. Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as life sciences, physical sciences, and research and development in these fields.
- Property Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate selling, buying, or governance activities of commercial, industrial, or residential real estate properties.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legislator Training
Sonoma State University - Rohnert Park, CA
Sonoma State University, 1801 E Cotati Ave, Rohnert Park, CA 94928-3609. Sonoma State University is a medium sized university located in Rohnert Park, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 8,912 students and an admission rate of 83%. Sonoma State University has a master's degree program in Public Administration which graduated seven students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Santa Rosa, California
Santa Rosa is situated in Sonoma County, California. It has a population of over 155,796, which has grown by 5.6% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Santa Rosa, 159, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Santa Rosa are priced at $193,300 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred fifty new homes were built in Santa Rosa, down from three hundred sixty-eight the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Santa Rosa are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 27.6% of Santa Rosa residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Santa Rosa is 10.1%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Santa Rosa residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 32.1%, is less than both the national and state average. United Pentecostal Church, Bethlehem Lutheran Church and Bennett Valley Baptist Church are among the churches located in Santa Rosa. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Santa Rosa is home to the Sonoma County Administration Center and the Quarry Picnic Area as well as Live Oak Park and Coffey Park. Shopping malls in the area include Montgomery Village Shopping Center, Saint Francis Shopping Center and Flamingo One Stop Shopping Center. Visitors to Santa Rosa can choose from Amansi, Astro Motel and Beautiful Weddings & Events for temporary stays in the area.