Career and Education Opportunities for Graphic Designers in Santa Rosa, California
Graphic designer career and educational opportunities abound in Santa Rosa, California. Currently, 36,700 people work as graphic designers in California. This is expected to grow 14% to 41,800 people by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for graphic designers are expected to grow by about 12.9%. Graphic designers generally design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos.
A person working as a graphic designer can expect to earn about $24 hourly or $50,520 yearly on average in California and about $20 per hour or $42,400 yearly on average in the U.S. as a whole. Compared with people working in the overall category of Art and Design, people working as graphic designers in California earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Art and Design nationally. Jobs in this field include: layout artist, macintosh artist , and advertising layout worker.
There are seven schools of higher education in the Santa Rosa area, including two within twenty-five miles of Santa Rosa where you can get a degree to start your career as a graphic designer. Given that the most common education level for graphic designers is a Bachelor's degree, you can expect to spend about four years training to become a graphic designer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Graphic Designer
In general, graphic designers design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. They also may use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
Graphic designers develop designs and sample layouts on the basis of knowledge of layout principles and esthetic design concepts. They also maintain archives of images or previous work products. Equally important, graphic designers have to design negatives and prints to produce layout photographs, using negative and print developing equipment and tools. They are often called upon to use computer software to generate new images. They are expected to design graphics and layouts for product illustrations and Internet websites. Finally, graphic designers key data into computer equipment to generate layouts for clients or supervisors.
Every day, graphic designers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to be creative and generate new ideas.
It is important for graphic designers to mark up and assemble final layouts to ready layouts for printer. They are often called upon to produce still and animated graphics for on-air and taped portions of television news broadcasts, using electronic video equipment. They also research new software or layout concepts. They are sometimes expected to talk with clients to consider and decide on layout design. Somewhat less frequently, graphic designers are also expected to photograph layouts, using camera, to make layout prints for supervisors or clients.
Graphic designers sometimes are asked to inspect final layouts and suggest improvements as needed. And finally, they sometimes have to ready notes and instructions for staff who assemble and ready final layouts for printing.
Like many other jobs, graphic designers must be thorough and dependable and believe in innovation and creative thought.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Santa Rosa include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Camera Operator. Operate television, video, or motion picture camera to photograph images or scenes for various purposes, such as TV broadcasts, advertising, or motion pictures.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Director. Interpret script, conduct rehearsals, and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, or radio programs.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Florist. Design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Graphic Designer Training
Pacific Union College - Angwin, CA
Pacific Union College, One Angwin Ave, Angwin, CA 94508-9707. Pacific Union College is a small college located in Angwin, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,279 students and an admission rate of 76%. Pacific Union College has an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree program in Graphic Design which graduated two and three students respectively in 2008.
Santa Rosa Junior College - Santa Rosa, CA
Santa Rosa Junior College, 1501 Mendocino Avenue, Santa Rosa, CA 95401-4395. Santa Rosa Junior College is a large college located in Santa Rosa, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 26,350 students. Santa Rosa Junior College has 2 areas of study related to Graphic Designer. They are:
- Computer Graphics, one to two year and two to four year which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Graphic Design, less than one year, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated three, ten, seven, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Certified Web Professional - Site Designer: A CWP Site Designer implements and maintains Web sites using authoring and scripting languages, content creation and management tools, and digital media.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Web Graphics and Multimedia Certificate: Equips the student for work as a Web graphic artist, creating illustrations, pictures, buttons, and other images for use on the Web, as well as the ability to create interactive multimedia designs in Flash or other programs.
For more information, see the International Webmasters Association website.
Certified Web Designer Associate: Web Designer Associates are proficient in the visual arts and creating the images and designs that capture and keep visitors' interest.
For more information, see the World Organization of Webmasters website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Santa Rosa, California
Santa Rosa is situated in Sonoma County, California. It has a population of over 155,796, which has grown by 5.6% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Santa Rosa, 159, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Santa Rosa are priced at $193,300 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, one hundred fifty new homes were built in Santa Rosa, down from three hundred sixty-eight the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Santa Rosa are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 23 minutes. More than 27.6% of Santa Rosa residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 9.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Santa Rosa is 10.1%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Santa Rosa residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 32.1%, is less than both the national and state average. United Pentecostal Church, Bethlehem Lutheran Church and Bennett Valley Baptist Church are among the churches located in Santa Rosa. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Santa Rosa is home to the Sonoma County Administration Center and the Quarry Picnic Area as well as Live Oak Park and Coffey Park. Shopping malls in the area include Montgomery Village Shopping Center, Saint Francis Shopping Center and Flamingo One Stop Shopping Center. Visitors to Santa Rosa can choose from Amansi, Astro Motel and Beautiful Weddings & Events for temporary stays in the area.