Career and Education Opportunities for Chiropractors in Santa Clarita, California
There are many career and education opportunities for chiropractors in the Santa Clarita, California area. About 4,500 people are currently employed as chiropractors in California. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 24% to about 5,600 people employed. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for chiropractors are expected to grow by about 19.5%. Chiropractors generally adjust spinal column and other articulations of the body to correct abnormalities of the human body believed to be caused by interference with the nervous system.
Chiropractors earn approximately $29 per hour or $60,470 yearly on average in California. Nationally they average about $31 hourly or $66,490 yearly. Earnings for chiropractors are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Alternative and Specialized in California and better than general Alternative and Specialized category earnings nationally. Jobs in this field include: chiropractic physician, physician, and chiropractic neurologist.
The Santa Clarita area is home to 210 schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of Santa Clarita where you can get a degree as a chiropractor. The most common level of education for chiropractors is a Doctoral degree. You can expect to spend four or five years training to become a chiropractor if you already have a Bachelor's degree, or eight to ten years if you have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Chiropractor
In general, chiropractors adjust spinal column and other articulations of the body to correct abnormalities of the human body believed to be caused by interference with the nervous system. They also examine patient to determine nature and extent of disorder.
Chiropractors diagnose health problems by reviewing patients' health and medical histories, questioning, observing and examining patients, and interpreting x-rays. They also manage diagnostic x-rays to be taken. Equally important, chiropractors have to counsel patients about nutrition and other matters. They are often called upon to analyze x-rays to identify the sources of patients' difficulties and to rule out fractures or diseases as sources of problems. They are expected to confer with and refer patients to appropriate health practitioners when needed. Finally, chiropractors perform a series of manual adjustments to the spine, or other articulations of the body, to fix the musculoskeletal system.
Every day, chiropractors are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to evaluate problems as they arise. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for chiropractors to evaluate the functioning of the neuromuscularskeletal system and the spine using systems of chiropractic diagnosis. They are often called upon to maintain accurate case histories of patients. Somewhat less frequently, chiropractors are also expected to advise patients about recommended courses of treatment.
They also have to be able to obtain and record patients' medical histories And finally, they sometimes have to advise patients about recommended courses of treatment.
Like many other jobs, chiropractors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Santa Clarita include:
- Dentist. Diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth and gums and related oral structures. May treat diseases of nerve, pulp, and other dental tissues affecting vitality of teeth.
- Emergency Medical Technician. Assess injuries, administer emergency medical care, and extricate trapped individuals. Transport injured or sick persons to medical facilities.
- Licensed Practical Nurse. Care for ill, injured, or disabled persons in hospitals, nursing homes, and similar institutions. May work under the supervision of a registered nurse. Licensing required.
- Orthodontist. Examine, diagnose, and treat dental malocclusions and oral cavity anomalies. Design and fabricate appliances to realign teeth and jaws to produce and maintain normal function and to improve appearance.
- Physician Assistant. Provide healthcare services typically performed by a physician, under the supervision of a physician. Conduct complete physicals, provide treatment, and counsel patients. May, in some cases, prescribe medication. Must graduate from an accredited educational program for physician assistants.
- Registered Nurse. Assess patient health problems and needs, develop and implement nursing care plans, and maintain medical records. Administer nursing care to ill, injured, or disabled patients. May advise patients on health maintenance and disease prevention or provide case management. Licensing or registration required. Includes advance practice nurses such as: nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, certified nurse midwives, and certified registered nurse anesthetists. Advanced practice nursing is practiced by RNs who have specialized formal, post-basic education and who function in highly autonomous and specialized roles.
- Respiratory Therapist. Assess, treat, and care for patients with breathing disorders. Assume primary responsibility for all respiratory care modalities, including the supervision of respiratory therapy technicians. Initiate and conduct therapeutic procedures; maintain patient records; and select, assemble, and operate equipment.
- Speech and Language Teacher. Assess and treat persons with speech, language, and fluency disorders. May select alternative communication systems and teach their use. May perform research related to speech and language problems.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Chiropractor Training
Southern California University of Health Sciences - Whittier, CA
Southern California University of Health Sciences, 16200 E Amber Valley Dr, Whittier, CA 90604. Southern California University of Health Sciences is a small university located in Whittier, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 181 students. Southern California University of Health Sciences has a doctor's degree program in Chiropractic which graduated 116 students in 2008.
Cleveland Chiropractic College of Los Angeles - Los Angeles, CA
Cleveland Chiropractic College of Los Angeles, 590 N Vermont Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90004-2196. Cleveland Chiropractic College of Los Angeles is a small college located in Los Angeles, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 346 students. Cleveland Chiropractic College of Los Angeles has a professional degree program in Chiropractic which graduated sixty-one students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Santa Clarita, California
Santa Clarita is situated in Los Angeles County, California. It has a population of over 169,500, which has grown by 12.2% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Santa Clarita, 137, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Santa Clarita are valued at $396,800 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, one hundred ten new homes were built in Santa Clarita, down from one hundred ninety-eight the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Santa Clarita are educational services, health care, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, professional, scientific, and technical services, and public administration. The average travel time to work is about 33 minutes. More than 29.1% of Santa Clarita residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 8.8%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Santa Clarita is 7.8%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Santa Clarita residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 58.1%, is more than both the national and state average. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Santa Clarita is home to the Monogram Ranch and the Placeritos Ranch as well as William S Hart Park and Almendra Park. Shopping centers in the area include River Oaks Shopping Center, Granary Square Shopping Center and Lyons Station Shopping Center.