Career and Education Opportunities for Telemarketers in Santa Clara, California
There is a wide variety of career and education opportunities for telemarketers in the Santa Clara, California area. There are currently 34,000 working telemarketers in California; this should shrink by 11% to about 30,200 working telemarketers in the state by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for telemarketers are expected to shrink by about 11.1%. Telemarketers generally solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
Telemarketers earn about $12 hourly or $25,850 yearly on average in California and about $10 per hour or $21,960 annually on average nationally. Earnings for telemarketers are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Sales and Clerical in California and not quite as good as general Sales and Clerical category earnings nationally.
The Santa Clara area is home to thirty-five schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of Santa Clara where you can get a degree as a telemarketer. Telemarketers usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a telemarketer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Telemarketer
In general, telemarketers solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
Telemarketers explain products or services and prices, and answer questions from clients. They also obtain customer data such as name and payment method, and enter orders into computers. Finally, telemarketers deliver prepared sales talks, reading from scripts that describe products or services, so as to persuade potential clients to acquire a product or service or to make a donation.
Every day, telemarketers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for telemarketers to record names and reactions of prospects contacted. They are often called upon to adjust sales scripts to better target the needs and interests of specific individuals. They also deliver prepared sales talks, reading from scripts that describe products or services, so as to persuade potential clients to acquire a product or service or to make a donation. They are sometimes expected to contact businesses or private individuals by telephone in order to seek sales for goods or services, or to request donations for charitable causes. Somewhat less frequently, telemarketers are also expected to maintain records of contacts and orders.
Telemarketers sometimes are asked to answer telephone calls from potential clients who have been solicited through advertisements. They also have to be able to telephone or write letters to respond to correspondence from clients or to follow up initial sales contacts and conduct client or market surveys so as to obtain data related to potential clients. And finally, they sometimes have to schedule appointments for sales representatives to meet with prospective clients or for clients to attend sales presentations.
Like many other jobs, telemarketers must be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Santa Clara include:
- Advertising Agent. Sell or solicit advertising, including graphic art, advertising space in publications, custom made signs, or TV and radio advertising time. May obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailer to use sales promotion display items.
- Cage Cashier. Exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. May issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine. May operate a booth in the slot machine area and furnish change persons with money bank at the start of the shift, or count and audit money in drawers.
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Telemarketer Training
San Jose City College - San Jose, CA
San Jose City College, 2100 Moorpark Ave, San Jose, CA 95128-2798. San Jose City College is a large college located in San Jose, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 11,574 students. San Jose City College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations.
Gavilan College - Gilroy, CA
Gavilan College, 5055 Santa Teresa Blvd, Gilroy, CA 95020. Gavilan College is a medium sized college located in Gilroy, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,159 students. Gavilan College has a two to four year program in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations.
West Valley College - Saratoga, CA
West Valley College, 14000 Fruitvale Ave, Saratoga, CA 95070-5698. West Valley College is a large college located in Saratoga, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,585 students. West Valley College has 2 areas of study related to Telemarketer. They are:
- Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations, two to four year.
- Selling Skills and Sales Operations, less than one year and two to four year which graduated two and zero students respectively in 2008.
De Anza College - Cupertino, CA
De Anza College, 21250 Stevens Creek Blvd., Cupertino, CA 95014. De Anza College is a large college located in Cupertino, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 24,677 students. De Anza College has less than one year, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated eight, three, four, and zero students respectively in 2008.
Mission College - Santa Clara, CA
Mission College, 3000 Mission College Blvd, Santa Clara, CA 95054-1897. Mission College is a large college located in Santa Clara, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,154 students. Mission College has less than one year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in Sales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations which graduated one, one, and zero students respectively in 2008.
National Professional Certification in Sales: The Certification was designed to capture the core Sales duties for a broad range of entry-level through first-line supervisory positions across the sales and service industries.
For more information, see the National Retail Federation Foundation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Santa Clara, California
Santa Clara is located in Santa Clara County, California. It has a population of over 110,200, which has grown by 7.7% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Santa Clara, 158, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Santa Clara cost $196,500 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, forty-three new homes were constructed in Santa Clara, down from eighty-five the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Santa Clara are computer and electronic products, professional, scientific, and technical services, and educational services. For men, it is computer and electronic products, professional, scientific, and technical services, and construction. The average commute to work is about 22 minutes. More than 42.4% of Santa Clara residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 16.6%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Santa Clara is 10.9%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Santa Clara residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.2%, is less than both the national and state average. Peace Lutheran Church, Good News Community Church and Universal Church of the Master are some of the churches located in Santa Clara. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Muslim Estimate.
Santa Clara is home to the Santa Clara Unified School District Office and the Santa Clara Municipal Golf Course as well as Westwood Acres Park and Washington Park. Shopping centers in the area include Moonlite Shopping Center, Fairway Glen Shopping Center and Youth Shopping Center.