Career and Education Opportunities for Retail Sales Managers in Santa Clara, California
Retail sales managers can find many career and educational opportunities in the Santa Clara, California area. There are currently 188,900 working retail sales managers in California; this should grow 12% to 210,600 working retail sales managers in the state by 2016. This is better than the national trend for retail sales managers, which sees this job pool growing by about 5.2% over the next eight years. Retail sales managers generally directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department.
Retail sales managers earn approximately $17 per hour or $36,860 yearly on average in California. Nationally they average about $16 per hour or $35,310 annually. Incomes for retail sales managers are not quite as good as in the overall category of Sales and Clerical in California, and not quite as good as the overall Sales and Clerical category nationally.
There are eight schools within twenty-five miles of Santa Clara where you can study to be a retail sales manager, among thirty-five schools of higher education total in the Santa Clara area. The most common level of education for retail sales managers is a high school diploma or GED. It will take only a short time to learn to be a retail sales manager if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Retail Sales Manager
In general, retail sales managers directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. They also duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
Retail sales managers assign employees to specific duties. They also examine product to insure that it is correctly priced and displayed and that it functions as advertised. Equally important, retail sales managers have to furnish customer service by greeting and assisting clients, and responding to customer inquiries and complaints. They are often called upon to direct and supervise employees working on sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash receipts, or in performing services for clients. They are expected to instruct staff on how to handle difficult and complicated sales. Finally, retail sales managers monitor sales efforts to insure that clients receive satisfactory service and quality goods.
Every day, retail sales managers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they write clearly and communicate well.
It is important for retail sales managers to formulate and make ready work schedules and keep records of employees' work schedules and time cards. They are often called upon to establish and implement policies, goals and processes for their department. They also inventory stock and reorder when inventory drops to a specified level. They are sometimes expected to hire and evaluate personnel in sales or marketing establishments, promoting or firing staff when appropriate. Somewhat less frequently, retail sales managers are also expected to direct and supervise employees working on sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash receipts, or in performing services for clients.
Retail sales managers sometimes are asked to examine products purchased for resale or received for storage to gauge the state of each product or item. and enforce safety and security rules. And finally, they sometimes have to establish credit policies and operating procedures.
Like many other jobs, retail sales managers must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Santa Clara include:
- Advertising Agent. Sell or solicit advertising, including graphic art, advertising space in publications, custom made signs, or TV and radio advertising time. May obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailer to use sales promotion display items.
- Cage Cashier. Exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. May issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine. May operate a booth in the slot machine area and furnish change persons with money bank at the start of the shift, or count and audit money in drawers.
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Telemarketer. Solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Retail Sales Manager Training
Stanford University - Stanford, CA
Stanford University, , Stanford, CA 94305. Stanford University is a large university located in Stanford, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 19,782 students and an admission rate of 9%. Stanford University has a master's degree program in Business, Management, Marketing, & Related Support Services, Other Specialties which graduated three students in 2008.
Mission College - Santa Clara, CA
Mission College, 3000 Mission College Blvd, Santa Clara, CA 95054-1897. Mission College is a large college located in Santa Clara, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,154 students. Mission College has 2 areas of study related to Retail Sales Manager. They are:
- Floriculture/Floristry Operations and Management, less than one year and two to four year which graduated seven and zero students respectively in 2008.
- E-Commerce/Electronic Commerce, two to four year.
De Anza College - Cupertino, CA
De Anza College, 21250 Stevens Creek Blvd., Cupertino, CA 95014. De Anza College is a large college located in Cupertino, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 24,677 students. De Anza College has a less than one year and an associate's degree program in Business, Management, Marketing, & Related Support Services, Other Specialties which graduated one and 236 students respectively in 2008.
Evergreen Valley College - San Jose, CA
Evergreen Valley College, 3095 Yerba Buena Rd, San Jose, CA 95135-1598. Evergreen Valley College is a large college located in San Jose, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 9,621 students. Evergreen Valley College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Retailing and Retail Operations.
West Valley College - Saratoga, CA
West Valley College, 14000 Fruitvale Ave, Saratoga, CA 95070-5698. West Valley College is a large college located in Saratoga, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,585 students. West Valley College has 4 areas of study related to Retail Sales Manager. They are:
- E-Commerce/Electronic Commerce, two to four year.
- Retailing and Retail Operations, less than one year and two to four year which graduated two and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Selling Skills and Sales Operations, less than one year and two to four year which graduated two and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Business, Management, Marketing, & Related Support Services, Other Specialties, two to four year.
Foothill College - Los Altos Hills, CA
Foothill College, 12345 El Monte Rd, Los Altos Hills, CA 94022. Foothill College is a large college located in Los Altos Hills, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 19,837 students. Foothill College has less than one year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in E-Commerce/Electronic Commerce which graduated two, zero, and zero students respectively in 2008.
San Jose City College - San Jose, CA
San Jose City College, 2100 Moorpark Ave, San Jose, CA 95128-2798. San Jose City College is a large college located in San Jose, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 11,574 students. San Jose City College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in E-Commerce/Electronic Commerce.
Cabrillo College - Aptos, CA
Cabrillo College, 6500 Soquel Dr, Aptos, CA 95003. Cabrillo College is a large college located in Aptos, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 15,822 students. Cabrillo College has a less than one year program in E-Commerce/Electronic Commerce.
Certified Collegiate Retailer: Every journey has a destination-make yours the Certified Collegiate Retailer (CCR) designation.
For more information, see the National Association of College Bookstores website.
Certified Professional SalesPerson: Whether you're an experienced sales professional looking to take your career to the next level, or new to sales and looking to accelerate your learning curve and income, becoming a NASP Certified Professional SalesPerson (CPSP) will help you get there.
For more information, see the National Association of Sales Professionals website.
National Professional Certification in Sales: The Certification was designed to capture the core Sales duties for a broad range of entry-level through first-line supervisory positions across the sales and service industries.
For more information, see the National Retail Federation Foundation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Santa Clara, California
Santa Clara is located in Santa Clara County, California. It has a population of over 110,200, which has grown by 7.7% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Santa Clara, 158, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Santa Clara cost $196,500 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, forty-three new homes were constructed in Santa Clara, down from eighty-five the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Santa Clara are computer and electronic products, professional, scientific, and technical services, and educational services. For men, it is computer and electronic products, professional, scientific, and technical services, and construction. The average commute to work is about 22 minutes. More than 42.4% of Santa Clara residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 16.6%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Santa Clara is 10.9%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Santa Clara residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.2%, is less than both the national and state average. Peace Lutheran Church, Good News Community Church and Universal Church of the Master are some of the churches located in Santa Clara. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Muslim Estimate.
Santa Clara is home to the Santa Clara Unified School District Office and the Santa Clara Municipal Golf Course as well as Westwood Acres Park and Washington Park. Shopping centers in the area include Moonlite Shopping Center, Fairway Glen Shopping Center and Youth Shopping Center.