Career and Education Opportunities for Law Professors in Santa Clara, California
Law professor career and educational opportunities abound in Santa Clara, California. In general, law professors teach courses in law.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $29 per hour or $79,682 per year in California, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Compared with people working in the overall category of Postsecondary Education, people working as law professors in California earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Postsecondary Education nationally. Jobs in this field include: college or university faculty member, clinical law professor, and college professor.
There are four schools within twenty-five miles of Santa Clara where you can study to be a law professor, among thirty-five schools of higher education total in the Santa Clara area. Law professors usually hold a first professional degree, so it will take two years to learn to be a law professor if you already have a Bachelor's degree, or about six years starting with a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Law Professor
In general, law professors teach courses in law.
Law professors evaluate and grade students' class work and oral presentations. They also collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues. Equally important, law professors have to initiate and moderate classroom discussions. They are often called upon to ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. They are expected to keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. Finally, law professors participate in student recruitment and placement efforts.
Every day, law professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for law professors to act as advisers to student organizations. They are often called upon to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. They also decide on and obtain materials and supplies such as textbooks. They are sometimes expected to perform administrative duties such as serving as department head. Somewhat less frequently, law professors are also expected to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry.
Law professors sometimes are asked to ready and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as civil procedure and torts. They also have to be able to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry And finally, they sometimes have to maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students.
Like many other jobs, law professors must be able to absorb the factors involved and a problem and provide a well thought out solution and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Santa Clara include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Law Professor Training
Stanford University - Stanford, CA
Stanford University, , Stanford, CA 94305. Stanford University is a large university located in Stanford, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 19,782 students and an admission rate of 9%. Stanford University has a professional degree program in Law which graduated 178 students in 2008.
University of California-Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz, CA
University of California-Santa Cruz, 1156 High St, Santa Cruz, CA 95064. University of California-Santa Cruz is a large university located in Santa Cruz, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 18,508 students and an admission rate of 81%. University of California-Santa Cruz has a bachelor's degree program in Legal Studies which graduated twelve students in 2008.
Santa Clara University - Santa Clara, CA
Santa Clara University, 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053. Santa Clara University is a medium sized university located in Santa Clara, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 7,987 students and an admission rate of 61%. Santa Clara University has a professional degree program in Law which graduated 297 students in 2008.
Foothill College - Los Altos Hills, CA
Foothill College, 12345 El Monte Rd, Los Altos Hills, CA 94022. Foothill College is a large college located in Los Altos Hills, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 19,837 students. Foothill College has an associate's degree program in Legal Studies which graduated three students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Santa Clara, California
Santa Clara is located in Santa Clara County, California. It has a population of over 110,200, which has grown by 7.7% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Santa Clara, 158, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Santa Clara cost $196,500 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, forty-three new homes were constructed in Santa Clara, down from eighty-five the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Santa Clara are computer and electronic products, professional, scientific, and technical services, and educational services. For men, it is computer and electronic products, professional, scientific, and technical services, and construction. The average commute to work is about 22 minutes. More than 42.4% of Santa Clara residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 16.6%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Santa Clara is 10.9%, which is less than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Santa Clara residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.2%, is less than both the national and state average. Peace Lutheran Church, Good News Community Church and Universal Church of the Master are some of the churches located in Santa Clara. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Muslim Estimate.
Santa Clara is home to the Santa Clara Unified School District Office and the Santa Clara Municipal Golf Course as well as Westwood Acres Park and Washington Park. Shopping centers in the area include Moonlite Shopping Center, Fairway Glen Shopping Center and Youth Shopping Center.