Career and Education Opportunities for Medical Scientists in San Jose, California
There are many career and education opportunities for medical scientists in the San Jose, California area. There are currently 17,300 working medical scientists in California; this should grow 27% to about 21,900 working medical scientists in the state by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for medical scientists are expected to grow by about 40.4%. In general, medical scientists conduct research dealing with the understanding of human diseases and the improvement of human health.
The income of a medical scientist is about $39 per hour or $81,130 annually on average in California. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $34 per hour or $72,590 per year on average. Compared with people working in the overall category of Life Sciences, people working as medical scientists in California earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Life Sciences nationally. Medical scientists work in a variety of jobs, including: endocrinologist, clinical research scientist, and laboratory director.
There are five schools within twenty-five miles of San Jose where you can study to be a medical scientist, among fifty-nine schools of higher education total in the San Jose area. The most common level of education for medical scientists is a Doctoral degree. It will take four or five years to learn to be a medical scientist if you already have a Bachelor's degree, or eight to ten years starting with a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Medical Scientist
In general, medical scientists conduct research dealing with the understanding of human diseases and the improvement of human health. They also engage in clinical investigation or other research, production, or related activities.
Medical scientists formulate and direct studies to investigate human or animal disease, preventive methods, and treatments for disease. Finally, medical scientists conduct research to evolve methodologies, instrumentation and processes for medical application, analyzing data and presenting findings.
Every day, medical scientists are expected to be able to piece together evidence to, in some sense, diagnose what is going on in a situation. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for medical scientists to evaluate effects of drugs and microorganisms at various levels. They are often called upon to follow strict safety procedures when handling toxic materials to avoid contamination. They also teach principles of medicine and medical and laboratory procedures to physicians and technicians. They are sometimes expected to confer with and advise physicians, educators and others regarding medical applications of physics and chemistry. Somewhat less frequently, medical scientists are also expected to ready and analyze organ, tissue, and cell samples to pinpoint toxicity or microorganisms or to study cell structure.
Medical scientists sometimes are asked to investigate cause or mode of transmission of diseases or parasites. They also have to be able to use equipment such as atomic absorption spectrometers and chromatography systems And finally, they sometimes have to talk with health departments and others to evolve health safety standards and public health improvement programs.
Like many other jobs, medical scientists must have exceptional integrity and be persistant in the face of problems and impediments.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in San Jose include:
- Biologist. Research or study basic principles of plant and animal life, such as origin, relationship, and functions.
- Epidemiologist. Investigate and describe the determinants and distribution of disease, disability, and other health outcomes and develop the means for prevention and control.
- Microbiologist. Investigate the growth, structure, and other characteristics of microscopic organisms, such as bacteria, algae, or fungi. Includes medical microbiologists who study the relationship between organisms and disease or the effects of antibiotics on microorganisms.
- Scientist. Study the chemical composition and physical principles of living cells and organisms, their electrical and mechanical energy, and related phenomena. May conduct research to further understanding of the complex chemical combinations and reactions involved in metabolism, reproduction, and heredity. May determine the effects of foods, drugs, and other substances on tissues and vital processes of living organisms.
- Soil Scientist. Conduct research in breeding, physiology, and management of crops and agricultural plants, their growth in soils, and control of pests; or study the chemical, physical, and mineralogical composition of soils as they relate to plant or crop growth. May classify and map soils and investigate effects of alternative practices on soil and crop productivity.
- Zoologist. Study the origins, behavior, and life processes of animals and wildlife. May specialize in wildlife research and management, including the collection and analysis of biological data to determine the environmental effects of present and potential use of land and water areas.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Medical Scientist Training
Stanford University - Stanford, CA
Stanford University, , Stanford, CA 94305. Stanford University is a large university located in Stanford, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 19,782 students and an admission rate of 9%. Stanford University has 9 areas of study related to Medical Scientist. They are:
- Biomedical Sciences, master's degree.
- Biochemistry, master's degree and doctor's degree which graduated zero and six students respectively in 2008.
- Biophysics, master's degree and doctor's degree which graduated zero and seven students respectively in 2008.
- Immunology, master's degree and doctor's degree which graduated zero and nine students respectively in 2008.
- Human/Medical Genetics, master's degree and doctor's degree which graduated zero and eleven students respectively in 2008.
- Cell Physiology, master's degree and doctor's degree which graduated zero and two students respectively in 2008.
- Oncology and Cancer Biology, master's degree and doctor's degree which graduated zero and thirteen students respectively in 2008.
- Molecular Pharmacology, master's degree and doctor's degree which graduated zero and one students respectively in 2008.
- Epidemiology, master's degree and doctor's degree which graduated eight and one students respectively in 2008.
Notre Dame de Namur University - Belmont, CA
Notre Dame de Namur University, 1500 Ralston Ave, Belmont, CA 94002-1908. Notre Dame de Namur University is a small university located in Belmont, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,478 students and an admission rate of 97%. Notre Dame de Namur University has a bachelor's degree program in Biochemistry which graduated six students in 2008.
University of California-Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz, CA
University of California-Santa Cruz, 1156 High St, Santa Cruz, CA 95064. University of California-Santa Cruz is a large university located in Santa Cruz, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 18,508 students and an admission rate of 81%. University of California-Santa Cruz has a doctor's degree program in Environmental Toxicology which graduated two students in 2008.
Santa Clara University - Santa Clara, CA
Santa Clara University, 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053. Santa Clara University is a medium sized university located in Santa Clara, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 7,987 students and an admission rate of 61%. Santa Clara University has a bachelor's degree program in Biochemistry.
California State University-East Bay - Hayward, CA
California State University-East Bay, 25800 Carlos Bee Blvd, Hayward, CA 94542. California State University-East Bay is a large university located in Hayward, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 12,353 students and an admission rate of 71%. California State University-East Bay has 2 areas of study related to Medical Scientist. They are:
- Biochemistry, bachelor's degree which graduated 15 students in 2008.
- Biostatistics, master's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: San Jose, California
San Jose is situated in Santa Clara County, California. It has a population of over 948,279, which has grown by 6.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in San Jose, 163, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in San Jose are priced at $163,800 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, two hundred fourteen new homes were built in San Jose, down from three hundred twenty-five the previous year.
The three big industries for women in San Jose are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is computer and electronic products, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average travel time to work is about 28 minutes. More than 31.6% of San Jose residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.7%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in San Jose is 13.2%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of San Jose residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.2%, is less than both the national and state average. Almaden Hill United Methodist Church, Almaden Valley United Methodist Church and Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses are some of the churches located in San Jose. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Muslim Estimate.
San Jose is home to the Evergreen Ranch and the Rosegarden Branch San Jose Public Library as well as Almaden Winery Park and Albertson Park. Shopping malls in the area include Almaden Plaza Shopping Center, Almaden Via Valiente Plaza Shopping Center and Foxworthy Shopping Center. Visitors to San Jose can choose from Atrium Gardens, Best Western Airport Plaza and Best Western Inn Airport Plaza for temporary stays in the area.