Career and Education Opportunities for Chiropractors in San Jose, California
There are many career and education opportunities for chiropractors in the San Jose, California area. There are currently 4,500 jobs for chiropractors in California and this is projected to grow 24% to 5,600 jobs by 2016. This is better than the national trend for chiropractors, which sees this job pool growing by about 19.5% over the next eight years. Chiropractors generally adjust spinal column and other articulations of the body to correct abnormalities of the human body believed to be caused by interference with the nervous system.
Income for chiropractors is about $29 per hour or $60,470 per year on average in California. Nationally, their income is about $31 hourly or $66,490 yearly. Incomes for chiropractors are not quite as good as in the overall category of Alternative and Specialized in California, and better than the overall Alternative and Specialized category nationally. Jobs in this field include: chiropractic doctor , chiropractic neurologist, and doctor of chiropractic.
The San Jose area is home to fifty-nine schools of higher education, including two within twenty-five miles of San Jose where you can get a degree as a chiropractor. The most common level of education for chiropractors is a Doctoral degree. You can expect to spend four or five years training to become a chiropractor if you already have a Bachelor's degree, or eight to ten years if you have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Chiropractor
In general, chiropractors adjust spinal column and other articulations of the body to correct abnormalities of the human body believed to be caused by interference with the nervous system. They also examine patient to determine nature and extent of disorder.
Chiropractors diagnose health problems by reviewing patients' health and medical histories, questioning, observing and examining patients, and interpreting x-rays. They also manage diagnostic x-rays to be taken. Equally important, chiropractors have to counsel patients about nutrition and other matters. They are often called upon to analyze x-rays to identify the sources of patients' difficulties and to rule out fractures or diseases as sources of problems. They are expected to confer with and refer patients to appropriate health practitioners when needed. Finally, chiropractors perform a series of manual adjustments to the spine, or other articulations of the body, to fix the musculoskeletal system.
Every day, chiropractors are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to evaluate problems as they arise. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for chiropractors to evaluate the functioning of the neuromuscularskeletal system and the spine using systems of chiropractic diagnosis. They are often called upon to maintain accurate case histories of patients. Somewhat less frequently, chiropractors are also expected to advise patients about recommended courses of treatment.
They also have to be able to obtain and record patients' medical histories And finally, they sometimes have to advise patients about recommended courses of treatment.
Like many other jobs, chiropractors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in San Jose include:
- Certified Prosthetist. Assist patients with disabling conditions of limbs and spine or with partial or total absence of limb by fitting and preparing orthopedic braces or prostheses.
- Emergency Medical Technician. Assess injuries, administer emergency medical care, and extricate trapped individuals. Transport injured or sick persons to medical facilities.
- Licensed Practical Nurse. Care for ill, injured, or disabled persons in hospitals, nursing homes, and similar institutions. May work under the supervision of a registered nurse. Licensing required.
- Physician Assistant. Provide healthcare services typically performed by a physician, under the supervision of a physician. Conduct complete physicals, provide treatment, and counsel patients. May, in some cases, prescribe medication. Must graduate from an accredited educational program for physician assistants.
- Registered Nurse. Assess patient health problems and needs, develop and implement nursing care plans, and maintain medical records. Administer nursing care to ill, injured, or disabled patients. May advise patients on health maintenance and disease prevention or provide case management. Licensing or registration required. Includes advance practice nurses such as: nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, certified nurse midwives, and certified registered nurse anesthetists. Advanced practice nursing is practiced by RNs who have specialized formal, post-basic education and who function in highly autonomous and specialized roles.
- Respiratory Therapist. Assess, treat, and care for patients with breathing disorders. Assume primary responsibility for all respiratory care modalities, including the supervision of respiratory therapy technicians. Initiate and conduct therapeutic procedures; maintain patient records; and select, assemble, and operate equipment.
- Speech and Language Teacher. Assess and treat persons with speech, language, and fluency disorders. May select alternative communication systems and teach their use. May perform research related to speech and language problems.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Chiropractor Training
Life Chiropractic College-West - Hayward, CA
Life Chiropractic College-West, 25001 Industrial Blvd., Hayward, CA 94545-2800. Life Chiropractic College-West is a small college located in Hayward, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 406 students. Life Chiropractic College-West has a professional degree program in Chiropractic which graduated sixty students in 2008.
Palmer College of Chiropractic-West Campus - San Jose, CA
Palmer College of Chiropractic-West Campus, 90 E Tasman Dr, San Jose, CA 95134-1617. Palmer College of Chiropractic-West Campus is a small college located in San Jose, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 285 students. Palmer College of Chiropractic-West Campus has a professional degree program in Chiropractic which graduated seventy students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: San Jose, California
San Jose is situated in Santa Clara County, California. It has a population of over 948,279, which has grown by 6.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in San Jose, 163, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in San Jose are priced at $163,800 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, two hundred fourteen new homes were built in San Jose, down from three hundred twenty-five the previous year.
The three big industries for women in San Jose are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is computer and electronic products, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average travel time to work is about 28 minutes. More than 31.6% of San Jose residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.7%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in San Jose is 13.2%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of San Jose residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.2%, is less than both the national and state average. Almaden Hill United Methodist Church, Almaden Valley United Methodist Church and Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses are some of the churches located in San Jose. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Muslim Estimate.
San Jose is home to the Evergreen Ranch and the Rosegarden Branch San Jose Public Library as well as Almaden Winery Park and Albertson Park. Shopping malls in the area include Almaden Plaza Shopping Center, Almaden Via Valiente Plaza Shopping Center and Foxworthy Shopping Center. Visitors to San Jose can choose from Atrium Gardens, Best Western Airport Plaza and Best Western Inn Airport Plaza for temporary stays in the area.