Career and Education Opportunities for Archivists in San Jose, California
San Jose, California provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for archivists. The national trend for archivists sees this job pool growing by about 6.5% over the next eight years. In general, archivists appraise, edit, and direct safekeeping of permanent records and historically valuable documents.
Archivists earn about $23 hourly or $49,470 annually on average in California and about $21 hourly or $45,020 annually on average nationally. Earnings for archivists are better than earnings in the general category of Libraries and Museums in California and better than general Libraries and Museums category earnings nationally. Jobs in this field include: museum registrar, records manager, and librarian.
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of San Jose where you can study to be an archivist, among fifty-nine schools of higher education total in the San Jose area. Given that the most common education level for archivists is a Master's degree, it will take about six years to learn to be an archivist if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Archivist
In general, archivists appraise, edit, and direct safekeeping of permanent records and historically valuable documents. They also participate in research activities based on archival materials.
Archivists preserve records and objects, copying records to film or computer formats as needed. They also furnish reference services and assistance for users needing archival materials. Finally, archivists organize archival records and design classification systems to enable access to archival materials.
Every day, archivists are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for archivists to authenticate and appraise historical documents and archival materials. They are often called upon to direct efforts of staff who help in arranging and maintaining collections of valuable materials. They also establish and administer policy guidelines concerning public access and use of materials. They are sometimes expected to develop and maintain accessible, retrievable computer archives and databases, incorporating current advances in electric data storage technology. Somewhat less frequently, archivists are also expected to direct educational and public outreach programs, such as tours and classes.
Archivists sometimes are asked to direct educational and public outreach programs, such as tours and classes. And finally, they sometimes have to establish and administer policy guidelines concerning public access and use of materials.
Like many other jobs, archivists must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in San Jose include:
- Audio-Visual Director. Prepare, plan, and operate audio-visual teaching aids for use in education. May record, catalogue, and file audio-visual materials.
- Curator. Administer affairs of museum and conduct research programs. Direct instructional, research, and public service activities of institution.
- Kindergarten Teacher. Teach elemental natural and social science, personal hygiene, and literature to children from 4 to 6 years old. Promote physical, mental, and social development. May be required to hold State certification.
- Librarian. Administer libraries and perform related library services. Work in a variety of settings, including public libraries, schools, colleges and universities, museums, corporations, government agencies, law firms, non-profit organizations, and healthcare providers. Tasks may include selecting, acquiring, and maintaining library materials; and furnishing reference, bibliographical, and readers' advisory services. May perform in-depth, strategic research, and synthesize, analyze, and filter information. May set up or work with databases and information systems to catalogue and access information.
- Library Information Technian. Assist librarians by helping readers in the use of library catalogs, databases, and indexes to locate books and other materials; and by answering questions that require only brief consultation of standard reference. Compile records; sort and shelve books; remove or repair damaged books; register patrons; check materials in and out of the circulation process. Replace materials in shelving area (stacks) or files. Includes bookmobile drivers who operate bookmobiles or light trucks that pull trailers to specific locations on a predetermined schedule and assist with providing services in mobile libraries.
- Museum Technician. Prepare specimens, such as fossils, skeletal parts, and textiles, for museum collection and exhibits. May restore documents or install, arrange, and exhibit materials.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Archivist Training
Mills College - Oakland, CA
Mills College, 5000 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94613. Mills College is a small college located in Oakland, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,481 students and an admission rate of 55%. Mills College has a bachelor's degree program in Art History, Criticism and Conservation which graduated seven students in 2008.
University of California-Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz, CA
University of California-Santa Cruz, 1156 High St, Santa Cruz, CA 95064. University of California-Santa Cruz is a large university located in Santa Cruz, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 18,508 students and an admission rate of 81%. University of California-Santa Cruz has a bachelor's degree program in Art History, Criticism and Conservation which graduated six students in 2008.
Santa Clara University - Santa Clara, CA
Santa Clara University, 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053. Santa Clara University is a medium sized university located in Santa Clara, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 7,987 students and an admission rate of 61%. Santa Clara University has a bachelor's degree program in Art History, Criticism and Conservation which graduated three students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: San Jose, California
San Jose is situated in Santa Clara County, California. It has a population of over 948,279, which has grown by 6.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in San Jose, 163, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in San Jose are priced at $163,800 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, two hundred fourteen new homes were built in San Jose, down from three hundred twenty-five the previous year.
The three big industries for women in San Jose are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is computer and electronic products, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average travel time to work is about 28 minutes. More than 31.6% of San Jose residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.7%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in San Jose is 13.2%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of San Jose residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.2%, is less than both the national and state average. Almaden Hill United Methodist Church, Almaden Valley United Methodist Church and Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses are some of the churches located in San Jose. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Muslim Estimate.
San Jose is home to the Evergreen Ranch and the Rosegarden Branch San Jose Public Library as well as Almaden Winery Park and Albertson Park. Shopping malls in the area include Almaden Plaza Shopping Center, Almaden Via Valiente Plaza Shopping Center and Foxworthy Shopping Center. Visitors to San Jose can choose from Atrium Gardens, Best Western Airport Plaza and Best Western Inn Airport Plaza for temporary stays in the area.