Career and Education Opportunities for Florists in San Jose, California
Florists can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the San Jose, California area. About 7,700 people are currently employed as florists in California. By 2016, this is expected to grow 10% to 8,500 people employed. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for florists are expected to shrink by about 2.5%. Florists generally design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
Income for florists is about $12 per hour or $26,780 per year on average in California. Nationally, their income is about $11 hourly or $23,230 annually. Compared with people working in the overall category of Art and Design, people working as florists in California earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Art and Design nationally. People working as florists can fill a number of jobs, such as: design maker, floral designer, and floral designer salesperson.
There are three schools within twenty-five miles of San Jose where you can study to be a florist, among fifty-nine schools of higher education total in the San Jose area. Florists usually hold less than a high school diploma, so you can expect to spend only a short time training to become a florist if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Florist
In general, florists design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
Florists talk with clients regarding price and type of arrangements desired and the date, time, and place of delivery. They also inform customers about the care and handling of various flowers and foliage and other items. Equally important, florists have to arrange bouquets, wreaths and other items. They are often called upon to wrap and price completed arrangements. They are expected to decide on flora and foliage for arrangements, working with numerous combinations to synthesize and design new creations. Finally, florists perform office and retail service duties such as keeping financial records, serving customers, answering telephones, selling giftware items and receiving payment.
Every day, florists are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to distinguish between colors.
It is important for florists to decorate or supervise the decoration of buildings or other facilities for parties, weddings and other occasions. They are often called upon to conduct classes or demonstrations, or train other staff. Somewhat less frequently, florists are also expected to perform general cleaning duties in the store to insure the shop is clean and tidy.
and grow flowers for use in arrangements or for sale in shop. And finally, they sometimes have to unpack stock as it comes into the shop.
Like many other jobs, florists must be thorough and dependable and believe in cooperation and coordination.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in San Jose include:
- Actor. Play parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions for entertainment, information, or instruction. Interpret serious or comic role by speech, gesture, and body movement to entertain or inform audience. May dance and sing.
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Audio Visual Technician. Set up or set up and operate audio and video equipment including microphones, sound speakers, video screens, projectors, video monitors, recording equipment, connecting wires and cables, sound and mixing boards, and related electronic equipment for concerts, sports events, meetings and conventions, presentations, and news conferences. May also set up and operate associated spotlights and other custom lighting systems.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Set and Exhibit Designer. Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Florist Training
Las Positas College - Livermore, CA
Las Positas College, 3033 Collier Cyn Rd, Livermore, CA 94551-7650. Las Positas College is a medium sized college located in Livermore, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,098 students. Las Positas College has an associate's degree program in Floriculture/Floristry Operations and Management.
Mission College - Santa Clara, CA
Mission College, 3000 Mission College Blvd, Santa Clara, CA 95054-1897. Mission College is a large college located in Santa Clara, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,154 students. Mission College has a less than one year and a two to four year program in Floriculture/Floristry Operations and Management which graduated seven and zero students respectively in 2008.
College of San Mateo - San Mateo, CA
College of San Mateo, 1700 W Hillsdale Blvd, San Mateo, CA 94402-3784. College of San Mateo is a large college located in San Mateo, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 11,215 students. College of San Mateo has less than one year, associate's degree, and two to four year programs in Floriculture/Floristry Operations and Management which graduated three, zero, and zero students respectively in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: San Jose, California
San Jose is situated in Santa Clara County, California. It has a population of over 948,279, which has grown by 6.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in San Jose, 163, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in San Jose are priced at $163,800 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, two hundred fourteen new homes were built in San Jose, down from three hundred twenty-five the previous year.
The three big industries for women in San Jose are health care, educational services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. For men, it is computer and electronic products, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average travel time to work is about 28 minutes. More than 31.6% of San Jose residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.7%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in San Jose is 13.2%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of San Jose residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 43.2%, is less than both the national and state average. Almaden Hill United Methodist Church, Almaden Valley United Methodist Church and Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses are some of the churches located in San Jose. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Muslim Estimate.
San Jose is home to the Evergreen Ranch and the Rosegarden Branch San Jose Public Library as well as Almaden Winery Park and Albertson Park. Shopping malls in the area include Almaden Plaza Shopping Center, Almaden Via Valiente Plaza Shopping Center and Foxworthy Shopping Center. Visitors to San Jose can choose from Atrium Gardens, Best Western Airport Plaza and Best Western Inn Airport Plaza for temporary stays in the area.